Topics

Best ho switches

Kurt Konrath

If you really want to get this discussion going on who’s the best how about using hand made switches?

I build all my switches by hand now.

Most using the Fast-tracks jigs for assembly off layout.

If done properly the work great with proper look and no shorts. You can power frogs easy as well!

Kurt K

On Apr 23, 2018, at 12:11 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

All of the above. The bachmann switches have a short internallyand it throws the circuit breaker. I've removed several switches and they exhibit a short off the layout (I have a device that checks for shorts)

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018, 12:18 PM Greg Williams gregw66@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

What do you mean by a "short"? This term is confusing sometimes because some refer to a loss of power as a short but a short is actually a short circuit where the controller goes into a protection mode. So what exactly happens on the turnouts? Does the loco loose power or does the power supply (DCC? DC?) go into a short protection mode?

Greg Williams

Rob McLear

Kurt I agree, I make all of my switches by hand now again using Fast Tracks jigs and filing tools, although recently I built a number 6 single crossover just using the paper template and the NMRA gauge and some Micro Engineering track gauges to hold the rail in place whilst being soldered to the PCB ties.   The powered frog is a real factor here, I have over 60 loco's and going back to add keep alives to all of them is cost and time prohibitive.

I don't like Peco they are a good looking turnout as far as it goes but I have an objection to the pressed point rails, don't like 'em.   Shinohara are reasonable but again the frog is a trouble point for me as the gap is wide and the wheels drop into the gap of the frog.   The way the points are joined causes shorts, although I have modified quite a few on my old layout using a PCB throwbar and replacing the point rails from the frog as one continuous rail from the gap at the frog to the end of the point rail.   Same as the fast tracks system I use.   The new layout under construction will have all hand laid turnouts.

Whatever you decide there are ways to get things working OK, Micro Engineering make a nice number 6 and it is pretty DCC friendly if you follow their instructions.   But they only make a number 6 and I need a lot of number 8's I may however use their number 6's in the staging, but it would depend on cost now that I have all of the jigs and filing tools that I need it is far cheaper for me to build my own.   I will need over 100 and have about 20 built now so it is slowly reimbursing me for the outlay of cost for the jigs.

Rob McLear
Australia.

Brian Lewis

Absolutely. I was waiting for this.

It saddens me that folk demand absolute accuracy with regards to locos and rolling stock, but them plonk it on trackwork that bears little or no relationship to the prototype..... Some layouts I see, must owe their origins to Disneyland!  How can such layouts be called 'scale'?

I have been building track and pointwork for more than forty years, using as a baseline, original railways company's drawings. And I agree with you - Fast Tracks makes track building so easy.

--

Regards and thanks

Brian Lewis

Brian Eiland

I have quite a few used (but like new) Peco turnouts that are without of their original boxes. I'm looking for a quick way to determine if they are electrofrog or insulfrog turnouts?
Brian

Dale Gloer

If the epoint of teh frog is plastic, it is Insulfrog or if it is metal right to the point it is Electrofrog.  See the photos in section 2-12b of http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm for each type.

Dale Gloer