From: WiringForDCC@... <WiringForDCC@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:39 PM
To: wiringfordcc@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Best ho switches

I'm so discussed with bachmann ez dcc switches.. I have shorts so I resorted to removing a switch to figure out what's going on. The dam thing shorts all by itself removed from the layout.

Question. I'm ready to redo the layout. What's the best dcc switches on the market today?

--
ExchangeDefender Message Security: Click below to verify authenticity
https://verify.exchangedefender.com/verify.php?id=w3MF2TCM012109&from=tanderson@...

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

I swear by Peco Insul Frog. A little more money, I have some that are fifteen years old with no truble. Bill Teeters

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:16 AM, "Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC]" wrote:

I'm so discussed with bachmann ez dcc switches. I have shorts so I resorted to removing a switch to figure out what's going on. The dam thing shorts all by itself removed from the layout.

Question. I'm ready to redo the layout. What's the best dcc switches on the market today?

Steven Haworth

I used Peco Electro frogs on my layout - love 'em!
I'm adding frog juicers now for those turnouts still manual.

With the Peco's, you can adjust the wiring on them to make them more DCC-friendly, which I've done, and it's easy to power the frogs.  All these changes are all pre-configured into the turnouts, so they're designed to be easy to modify in this way.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:16 AM, "Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC]" <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

I'm so discussed with bachmann ez dcc switches. I have shorts so I resorted to removing a switch to figure out what's going on. The dam thing shorts all by itself removed from the layout.

Question. I'm ready to redo the layout. What's the best dcc switches on the market today?

Bill Wilken

What's "best" depends in part on what you're looking for and are willing to pay.

For a variety of reasons, my railroad uses a combination of Atlas Customline, Walthers-Shinohara, and Peco turnouts ... all DCC-ready from the factory.  The Atlas Customline turnouts typically are the least expensive of the three, lend themselves to easy installation of wiring for powered frogs, and work quite reliably.  They, however, do not deliver a "prototypical" appearance.  The Walthers-Shinohara turnouts usually are more expensive than the Atlas turnouts, but less costly than the Pecos.  They also look reasonably "prototypical," but unlike the Atlas Customlines creating a powered frog requires carefully soldering on their underside.  While my Shinoharas work very nicely, it took a bit of learning to achieve that result.  It is critical to recognize that they flex rather easily, so you must take care to install them on a flat and even surface.  The Shinoharas also have fairly tight tolerances and you must be very judicious in painting their surfaces.  Peco makes some really nice product, but I've found it usually difficult to justify their premium price unless you are looking for an easy way to address the powered frog matter.

Bill

On 04/21/2018 08:38 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

I'm so discussed with bachmann ez dcc switches. I have shorts so I resorted to removing a switch to figure out what's going on. The dam thing shorts all by itself removed from the layout.

Question. I'm ready to redo the layout. What's the best dcc switches on the market today?

Dale Gloer

I have about 100 Peco code 75 Electrofrog switches installed, all using Tortoise machines for motion and to power route the frogs.  No stalls ever with any loco, even the real short ones.  Installed for about 13 years and the only problems are when a Tortoise switch contacts fail and the frog goes dead.  And yes I have had to repair the contacts in 5 Tortoises so far.   When I installed them I also made the modifications to make them electrically bullet proof - aka DCC friendly.  See Section 2-12b at this link - the photos are how I did mine.  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm

Dale Gloer

Bernie Halloran

Gents,
If you can afford Peco code 83 turnouts, you will have the best. Yes, I’ve used all the others except Bachmann; but those guys do make some fine locomotives nowadays. Bill’s advice is good. (oh, the old Peco turnout motors are the pitts, use either a hand throw of Tortise.)
Bernie Halloran

On 04/21/2018 08:38 PM, Affordable Roofing Contractors vmarino2009@...<mailto:vmarino2009@...> [WiringForDCC] wrote:

I'm so discussed with bachmann ez dcc switches. I have shorts so I resorted to removing a switch to figure out what's going on. The dam thing shorts all by itself removed from the layout.

Question. I'm ready to redo the layout. What's the best dcc switches on the market today?

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

Tortise are the best, I have at least 50 machines controlled by DS64's ( decoder-pro ect.). Bill T.

[...]

Brian Eiland

Gents,
. (oh, the old Peco turnout motors are the pitts, use either a hand throw of Tortise.)
Bernie Halloran

So what exactly do you find so objectionable on those twin coil Peco motors, other than their set installation arrangements, and the fact that they are old tech twin coils ?
Brian

.

Bernie Halloran

The old Peco turnout motors with twin coils, when attached to Peco turnouts, had to be excavated.  They were directly attached to the bottom of the turnouts.  And the rod to extend the motor into a left/right switch had a very high rate of failure.
Bernie

.. (oh, the old Peco turnout motors are the pitts, use either a hand throw of Tortise.)
Bernie Halloran

So what exactly do you find so objectionable on those twin coil Peco motors, other than their set installation arrangements, and the fact that they are old tech twin coils ?
Brian

.

Jason Willeford

I would agree with others that Peco switches are great, however newer generation Atlas switches are pretty good too.
One thing no one has mentioned is that if your using Bachmann, then you likely have Bachmann track with integrated roadbed. If you like the "snap together" feature then you should look at Kato track. Kato switches are excellent as is their full line of track, they also have integrated roadbed that looks great.
--J

Annette and Dante Fuligni

I have the Walthers/Shinohara turnouts and am very happy with them. To power the frogs, you do not have to connect to their undersides, The guardrails adjacent to the frogs are actually electrically connected to the frogs; therefore, you can drop a feeder from the guardrail just as you feed any other rail. That also means that you can do feed the frog after the turnout is installed: only feed the frog after your operations indicate it is necessary. Most of my frogs are not powered.

Dante

Brian Eiland

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:37 AM, BF halloran bfhalloran@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

The old Peco turnout motors with twin coils, when attached to Peco turnouts, had to be excavated.  They were directly attached to the bottom of the turnouts.  And the rod to extend the motor into a left/right switch had a very high rate of failure.
Bernie

Thanks Bernie, I have quiet a number of them (attached to some nice Peco's I bought used), but I have not tried using them yet. In a cursory look I was wondering if they good be made to work if unhooked from their turnouts as designed.. Brian

Glenn

I do not know about the newer Peco switches, but my older ones lock into to position with a push of the finger. That was the idea behind machines, they just pushed the points into position.

Glenn

If you can afford Peco code 83 turnouts, you will have the best. Yes, I’ve used all the others except Bachmann; but those guys do make some fine locomotives nowadays. Bill’s advice is good. (oh, the old Peco turnout motors are the pitts, use either a hand throw of Tortise.)

Bernie Halloran

Glenn

Yes. But they with not hold non Peco switches in position. You can mount them apart from a Peco switch.

Glenn

The old Peco turnout motors with twin coils, when attached to Peco turnouts, had to be excavated.  They were directly attached to the bottom of the turnouts.  And the rod to extend the motor into a left/right switch had a very high rate of failure.
Bernie

Thanks Bernie, I have quiet a number of them (attached to some nice Peco's I bought used), but I have not tried using them yet. In a cursory look I was wondering if they good be made to work if unhooked from their turnouts as designed.. Brian

Bill Wilken

I just don't like the appearance of another visible soldered wire.

On 04/23/2018 08:08 AM, Annette and Dante Fuligni dfuligni2144@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:
�

I have the Walthers/Shinohara turnouts and am very happy with them. To power the frogs, you do not have to connect to their undersides, The guardrails adjacent to the frogs are actually electrically connected to the frogs; therefore, you can drop a feeder from the guardrail just as you feed any other rail. That also means that you can do feed the frog after the turnout is installed: only feed the frog after your operations indicate it is necessary. Most of my frogs are not powered.

Dante

David Klemm

Bill,

I solder to the back side so it is not visible and after painting the rails and ballasting it becomes very hard to see the wire.

David

I just don't like the appearance of another visible soldered wire.

On 04/23/2018 08:08 AM, Annette and Dante Fuligni dfuligni2144@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

I have the Walthers/Shinohara turnouts and am very happy with them. To power the frogs, you do not have to connect to their undersides, The guardrails adjacent to the frogs are actually electrically connected to the frogs; therefore, you can drop a feeder from the guardrail just as you feed any other rail. That also means that you can do feed the frog after the turnout is installed: only feed the frog after your operations indicate it is necessary. Most of my frogs are not powered.

Dante

Greg Williams

What do you mean by a "short"? This term is confusing sometimes because some refer to a loss of power as a short but a short is actually a short circuit where the controller goes into a protection mode. So what exactly happens on the turnouts? Does the loco loose power or does the power supply (DCC? DC?) go into a short protection mode?

Greg Williams

dvollrath@...

Good/Great question, Greg. The answer here makes an important difference in identifying the real issue.

If the headlight simply blinks off, motor stops or a sound loco recycles it is an intermittent connection. If the booster or circuit breaker actually trips off it is a true short circuit. Two different problems with two totally different solutions.

Various brands of turnouts have their own version causes of intermittent electrical connections. One cannot totally rely on the points or the point rail pivot to always make a good electrical connection. Use separate rail feeder wires to point rails to keep things powered. Also look for vertical rail height bumps that lift truck wheels above the rails.

True short circuits should be rare, but are usually caused by 1) oversized wheels bridging across frog closure rails of near frog isolation gaps or the back side brushing against an opposite polarity point rail, or 2) powered frogs being at the wrong polarity, or 3) power switched frog rails not being isolated from other rails beyond the turnout. Watch out for unwanted closure of cut but non-insulated rail gaps.

DonV

---In WiringForDCC@..., <gregw66@...> wrote :

What do you mean by a "short"? This term is confusing sometimes because some refer to a loss of power as a short but a short is actually a short circuit where the controller goes into a protection mode. So what exactly happens on the turnouts? Does the loco loose power or does the power supply (DCC? DC?) go into a short protection mode?

Greg Williams

vincent marino

All of the above. The bachmann switches have a short internallyand it throws the circuit breaker. I've removed several switches and they exhibit a short off the layout (I have a device that checks for shorts)