Topics

bacmann ez track and dcc

staceyatvt@...

i was wondering is it possable to run dcc on my ez track (silver/nickle) and what i need to buy

vincent marino

I run eztrack and dcc. The track is fine as long as you drop feeders often, the turnouts are a different story, they require a lot of tweaking to work properly. The dcc connection is fine it's the electric frogs that will short the power district if you don't tweak the rolling stock and the locos to run smoothly in a consist. Tip. Put all the turnouts on a separate power district.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 10:40 AM <staceyatvt@...> wrote:
i was wondering is it possable to run dcc on my ez track (silver/nickle) and what i need to buy

Richard Gagnon

Yes it is. Some in the Bachman forums do.

Rich

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 7:02 AM, staceyatvt@... wrote:

i was wondering is it possable to run dcc on my ez track (silver/nickle) and what i need to buy

Scott Nelson

Yes, DCC works on the same tracks that DC (or AC for that matter) does.

What you'll need is:
  • A command station
  • A throttle
  • A booster
but many manufacturers combine those into one device for beginners, for example the Digitrax Zephyr Express or the NCE PowerCab. I thought Bachmann did also but I couldn't find it on their site.
If you have a local club that uses DCC, you might want to follow their direction and get the same brand hardware so that you have some friends locally that can help.

staceyatvt@...

yes theres also MRC what one u think is best i see theres also many types of NCE MRC & DZE Meaning models  :)

staceyatvt@...

yes i do want to run the switches on the controler i have it be much easyer  for me

vincent marino

I have NCE and put 2.5 amps on each power district (6). Love the system. Might be a little over powered but that's better than under powered.

Once you have your system running the way you want  and you want to take your operation  to another level. Look into running JMRI on your layout. Specifically the consists and turnouts run unbelievably smooth.

Tip: before  going to JMRI know your electrical system and controller inside and out.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019, 7:05 PM <staceyatvt@...> wrote:
yes i do want to run the switches on the controler i have it be much easyer  for me

staceyatvt@...

i like to do this use a cheaper controll to use just for ez turnouts left  right with wire and dirrection swith type b 11 turnouts 11 direction  and use a dcc controll to run my 4 locs it be much easyer for me being my home care provider wont help me at all with this and its inpossable to get some to take me to hobby shops i hope u understsand i mean

vincent marino

My brother enjoy the hobby. Don't overdue it, by planning something to complicated. Most everything can be purchased online. Check out YouTube for each step of the way. Good luck.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019, 7:00 PM <staceyatvt@...> wrote:
i like to do this use a cheaper controll to use just for ez turnouts left  right with wire and dirrection swith type b 11 turnouts 11 direction  and use a dcc controll to run my 4 locs it be much easyer for me being my home care provider wont help me at all with this and its inpossable to get some to take me to hobby shops i hope u understsand i mean

Jay

Hi!
I do not know if you can afford this, but I have used this with Atlas switches just fine.
This product is DCC only and it will only do switch number sequentially, meaning 1-8, 2-9, etc...
Also, it's per switch price is quite low.
It is made in Europe, but available in the US on Ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGIKEIJS-DR4018-16-CHANNEL-SWITCH-DECODER-WORKS-WITH-ALL-DCC-BRANDS/252438372898?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Jay

Mark Cartwright

Once again...
I am going to be Odd Man Out...but I would seriously reconsider running DCC with anything Bachmann as it comes out of the box, including the Bahaman Dynamis by ESU which I do own (along with nearly every other American sold DCC system).  I own several reworked Bachmann Locomotives and not one of them is still equipped with their original decoder. Even if you simply go DC with Bachmann Track and Switches...Yes, You are going to need to solder drop down feeders as well as rework their Turnouts.
====
I am making this statement with the experience of a 7 year old in 1960 with ONE Lionel 4-6-2 on a 5x9 table on a Bottle Route Budget (See Homeless today collecting bottles for one penny each; where I got 3 cents per in 1960). I was given...Korean War vintage steel track with fiber board ties held on by staples ...and I made it work....
So...Yes,  layout can be made with Bachmann Track.
However...when it was nearly given to me...I passed.
But when a man offered me three boxes of Kato Unitrack ...after buying everything else from his layout.... at 10 cents to the MSRP $ + I took the gift gleefully.
=====
DCC is not cheap and can be very confusing...Whoever said DCC Made EZ wants to talk to fools.
:)) Mark