Topics

Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0

Douglas Harrison

I have a interesting problem with this loco. Some months ago it was knocked off my work bench and hit the concrete floor. The only damage I could find, at the time, was the hold down peg under the cab floor was broken off. Repaired that, put it all back together and tried a test run. It jerked, hesitated and would not preform well as it used to. The loco and tender were not joined together, only the loco came to grief!!
I packed it up and put it away and a couple of days ago decided to have a really good investigation to see if I could work out what was causing the erratic running. Stripped it down to it's basic units, tested the motor and side frames and the motor ran very smoothly. Check the running gear, it had no problems, put these two sub assemblies back together and all ran smoothly. Coupled the tender and loco back together and the same problem was there. The only thing I can put this down to is that there is an intermittent break in one of the cables between the two components, if so how does one repair these. The price of these parts from Bachmann is reasonable, but the international shipping rates are outlandish.
Ant one have any thoughts or ideas on how to fix this.
Thanks
Douglas Harrison
Christchurch
New Zealand.

Don Vollrath

Doug,
If only the loco hit the floor... where was the DCC decoder... In the tender?
It sounds like you verified that the loco itself runs smoothly, but was that testing done with DC (not DCC)? How did you get power to the motor?
If the jerky running only occurs with the tender connected it sounds like there is a broken wire connection or power pick-up issue in the loco or between the loco and tender. Carefully verify that no wires are broken, especially around any connectors.

I have one of those BS units as well that suddenly stopped all running. I suspect a broken wire. But how does one open the darn thing without breaking something?

DonV

Dale Gloer

Don/Douglas,

I have 2 BS 2-8-0s and have had both apart.  The body shell is one piece and attached by hooking over the front of the cast side frames and one screw under the drawbar (not the drawbar attachment screw) at the rear.  Just remove the screw, raise the cab end of the shell to clear the motor and slide the shell forward a bit and lift off.  I don't remember whether you need to remove the handrails at the back of the cab or not.

Hope this helps.

Dale Gloer

Douglas Harrison

Guy's thanks for your thoughts. Have had the body off and it is not a hard job to do, just be careful and has been put back on. That is when the problem surfaced. I was with a few friends last night and was discussing this problem with. One friend came up with the same thought, that a wire was pinched and was intermittently shorting on the chassis. Have not had a chance to look into this, but it is certainly worth a try.

Cheers
Douglas

Richard Gagnon

If not aware, there is a Bachman forum with company reps, parts pages, users, diagrams, etc, that I have followed for some years. I have Bachmann locos.

Rich