Topics

Bachman DCC EZ track turnouts

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

How do I connect the Bachmann EZ track nickel silver DCC turnout to bus? I'm a newbie and inherited some of the new turnouts and purchased additional . I plan to use NCE Power Pro radio hand-held to manage my 13.5'x15.5' around the room layout.

Thank you

vincent marino

Joe, you have the exact same NCE and Bachmann EZ track system I have. Let me be honest with you the turnouts are the weakest link in the EZ track system. Having said that here we go....

My layout is 5 x 12 so a little smaller than yours. I have three five watt NCE power units with two remote plug in areas for the power controllers. The 3 power units are linked together and separated into two power districts each. Make sure you install circuit breakers into each bus power district. My personal preference is to have more power than I need, not less power. However, in your initial design this is an important key. Design one of the power districts dedicated to just the EZ turnouts. I have 15 turnouts in one power district. They don't require much power; so you can probably assign 30 turnouts to one power district.  

Now let me answer your question. The layout power is the most important part of your layout; don't under design the power supply. By the same token don't under gauge the bus wire. Each power district bus should return to it's designated power source in one piece using a minimum 14 gauge wire. For the turnouts I used 18 gauge wire to connect to the bus. I can get into more detail but I suggest you go to youtube to see how other guys did their connections. My biggest success is using suitcase connectors. Some guys prefer to solder. It really depends on your skill level and patience. 

You didn't ask this question but regarding the EZ turnout powered frogs. Personally I powered mine but frankly they don't need to be. If you decide to power the frog there is a tiny wire taped to the underside of the turnout. It gets wired to the positive bus only. Like I said I wish I hadn't powered them it just requires more work initially and if you need to troubleshoot it's one less item to have to consider. Speaking of troubleshooting: a separate power district for the turnouts is a real plus for obvious reasons. 

Good luck. Feel free to contact me with further questions

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:
How do I connect the Bachmann EZ track nickel silver DCC turnout to bus? I'm a newbie and inherited some of the new turnouts and purchased additional . I plan to use NCE Power Pro radio hand-held to manage my 13.5'x15.5' around the room layout.

Thank you

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Thank you, Vincent! I am sure I will be asking your help as I go forward. I appreciate your quick response. I recognize the single black wire you mentioned above. I think I will leave it as is.

When you say you have  three five watt NCE power units (are these boosters? SB 105s) ? As I said in my original question, I am a newbie and an ole fart (74, almost 75).  I am not sure what you are referring to with two remote plug in areas for the power controllers. The 3 power units are linked together and separated into two power districts each.

I believe I can install circuit breakers into each bus power district. Design one of the power districts dedicated to just the EZ turnouts. Mine turnouts are primarily on the "ends" of the layout. I will try to get a sketch of my layout and will send in another email.

Again, thank you and I know I will be asking your help in future.

Jody

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!"

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM vincent marino <vmarino2009@...> wrote:
Joe, you have the exact same NCE and Bachmann EZ track system I have. Let me be honest with you the turnouts are the weakest link in the EZ track system. Having said that here we go....

My layout is 5 x 12 so a little smaller than yours. I have three five watt NCE power units with two remote plug in areas for the power controllers. The 3 power units are linked together and separated into two power districts each. Make sure you install circuit breakers into each bus power district. My personal preference is to have more power than I need, not less power. However, in your initial design this is an important key. Design one of the power districts dedicated to just the EZ turnouts. I have 15 turnouts in one power district. They don't require much power; so you can probably assign 30 turnouts to one power district.  

Now let me answer your question. The layout power is the most important part of your layout; don't under design the power supply. By the same token don't under gauge the bus wire. Each power district bus should return to it's designated power source in one piece using a minimum 14 gauge wire. For the turnouts I used 18 gauge wire to connect to the bus. I can get into more detail but I suggest you go to youtube to see how other guys did their connections. My biggest success is using suitcase connectors. Some guys prefer to solder. It really depends on your skill level and patience. 

You didn't ask this question but regarding the EZ turnout powered frogs. Personally I powered mine but frankly they don't need to be. If you decide to power the frog there is a tiny wire taped to the underside of the turnout. It gets wired to the positive bus only. Like I said I wish I hadn't powered them it just requires more work initially and if you need to troubleshoot it's one less item to have to consider. Speaking of troubleshooting: a separate power district for the turnouts is a real plus for obvious reasons. 

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

Thank you

Bill Wilken

I appreciate your concern about adequate power.  For that reason you might find this worth considering.  My layout is dog-legged shape with four power districts, and fills a room measuring about 20x20.   At least 10 locos are under power at any time, and run over a 4-track/2-track mainline that circles the layout.  Power is distributed via a combination of a 14-gauge main bus and six subsidiary buses serving signaling districts.  Everything runs smoothly with nothing other than an NCE PowerCab and a single NCE PB105 5-amp booster.   

On Mon, 2020-11-30 at 15:40 -0500, vincent marino wrote:

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

Richard Schwind

I was wondering what switches to use for the crossover from track 1 to 2 with the different polarity

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Vincent,
 I see that you powered/wired the frogs...I am not going to do it...newbie? where do I wire connectors on the turnout to the bus wire? This will require soldering?

Thank you for your patience.

Jody (Joe) Correro

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!"

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

vincent marino

my brother there are red and black wires coming off the turnout. Connect each wire to the same color on your bus. It's very important to make sure that throughout the layout you consistently wire red to red and black to black. If you stick with that rule your layout will be just fine.  Regarding how to connect wires with no soldering I used "suitcase connectors" throughout the layout and I don't have any problems. Here is the key: make sure you use pliers to close the connector onto the wires you want to join together. Once you get the hang of it it will be a piece of cake for you. You can buy a bag of connectors on amazon for cheap, make sure you get the connectors made for 12-14 gauge wire. They are so cheap you can get another size for smaller gauge wires. good luck

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr. <joedeyejr@...> wrote:
Vincent,
 I see that you powered/wired the frogs...I am not going to do it...newbie? where do I wire connectors on the turnout to the bus wire? This will require soldering?

Jody (Joe) Correro

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

Larry Moray

My understanding has been it is not necessary to wire the Bachmann DCC turnouts, and in fact might be better not to?  Although there are very small wires for that purpose, I had read it best to ignore.

Larry J Moray, DDS, MS
President, The Happy Tooth featuring MyOrthodontist

Statement of Confidentiality

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

On Dec 14, 2020, at 3:42 PM, vincent marino <vmarino2009@...> wrote:

my brother there are red and black wires coming off the turnout. Connect each wire to the same color on your bus. It's very important to make sure that throughout the layout you consistently wire red to red and black to black. If you stick with that rule your layout will be just fine.  Regarding how to connect wires with no soldering I used "suitcase connectors" throughout the layout and I don't have any problems. Here is the key: make sure you use pliers to close the connector onto the wires you want to join together. Once you get the hang of it it will be a piece of cake for you. You can buy a bag of connectors on amazon for cheap, make sure you get the connectors made for 12-14 gauge wire. They are so cheap you can get another size for smaller gauge wires. good luck

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Vincent,

Jody (Joe) Correro

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

Bill Wilken

Do not assume that all suitcase connectors sold on Amazon are equal.
Many are made of plastic that is very inflexible and use a flimzy metal
clip that bends over easily. Having bought a boatload of these
connectors over the years, I've never been disappointed by the 3M's
Scotchlok brand.

On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 15:42 -0500, vincent marino wrote:
my brother there are red and black wires coming off the turnout.
Connect each wire to the same color on your bus. It's very important
to make sure that throughout the layout you consistently wire red to
red and black to black. If you stick with that rule your layout will
be just fine.  Regarding how to connect wires with no soldering I
used "suitcase connectors" throughout the layout and I don't have any
problems. Here is the key: make sure you use pliers to close the
connector onto the wires you want to join together. Once you get the
hang of it it will be a piece of cake for you. You can buy a bag of
connectors on amazon for cheap, make sure you get the connectors made
for 12-14 gauge wire. They are so cheap you can get another size for
smaller gauge wires. good luck

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i)
delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute
or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
immediately.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr.
<joedeyejr@gmail.com> wrote:
Vincent,
 I see that you powered/wired the frogs...I am not going to do
it...newbie? where do I wire connectors on the turnout to the bus
wire? This will require soldering?

Jody (Joe) Correro

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away!"

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM vincent marino
<vmarino2009@gmail.com> wrote:
Joe, you have the exact same NCE and Bachmann EZ track system I
have. Let me be honest with you the turnouts are the weakest link
in the EZ track system. Having said that here we go....
My layout is 5 x 12 so a little smaller than yours. I have three
five watt NCE power units with two remote plug in areas for the
power controllers. The 3 power units are linked together and
separated into two power districts each. Make sure you install
circuit breakers into each bus power district. My
personal preference is to have more power than I need, not less
power. However, in your initial design this is an important key.
Design one of the power districts dedicated to just the EZ
turnouts. I have 15 turnouts in one power district. They don't
require much power; so you can probably assign 30 turnouts to one
power district.  

Now let me answer your question. The layout power is the most
important part of your layout; don't under design the power
supply. By the same token don't under gauge the bus wire. Each
power district bus should return to it's designated power source
in one piece using a minimum 14 gauge wire. For the turnouts I
used 18 gauge wire to connect to the bus. I can get into more
detail but I suggest you go to youtube to see how other guys did
their connections. My biggest success is
using suitcase connectors. Some guys prefer to solder. It really
depends on your skill level and patience. 

You didn't ask this question but regarding the EZ turnout powered
frogs. Personally I powered mine but frankly they don't need to
be. If you decide to power the frog there is a tiny wire taped to
the underside of the turnout. It gets wired to the positive bus
only. Like I said I wish I hadn't powered them it just requires
more work initially and if you need to troubleshoot it's one less
item to have to consider. Speaking of troubleshooting: a separate
power district for the turnouts is a real plus for obvious
reasons. 

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i)
delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose,
distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the
sender immediately.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr.
<joedeyejr@gmail.com> wrote:
How do I connect the Bachmann EZ track nickel silver DCC
turnout to bus? I'm a newbie and inherited some of the new
turnouts and purchased additional . I plan to use NCE Power Pro
radio hand-held to manage my 13.5'x15.5' around the room
layout.

Thank you

vincent marino

doc he's wiring the turnouts because they're on a separate power district to help identify short locations. 

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:48 PM Larry Moray via groups.io <Larry.Moray=iCloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
My understanding has been it is not necessary to wire the Bachmann DCC turnouts, and in fact might be better not to?  Although there are very small wires for that purpose, I had read it best to ignore.

Larry J Moray, DDS, MS

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and are intended solely for addressee. The information may also be legally privileged. This transmission is sent in trust, for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or phone and delete this message and its attachments, if any.

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Vincent,

Jody (Joe) Correro

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

Larry Moray

👍😁
Larry J Moray, DDS, MS

On Dec 14, 2020, at 3:57 PM, vincent marino <vmarino2009@...> wrote:

doc he's wiring the turnouts because they're on a separate power district to help identify short locations. 

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:48 PM Larry Moray via groups.io <Larry.Moray=iCloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
My understanding has been it is not necessary to wire the Bachmann DCC turnouts, and in fact might be better not to?  Although there are very small wires for that purpose, I had read it best to ignore.

Larry J Moray, DDS, MS

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Vincent,

Jody (Joe) Correro

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office/cell  

Thank you

Joseph A. Correro, Jr.

Thank you, Vince and Doc!

Jody

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:52 PM Bill Wilken <bill.wilken@...> wrote:

Do not assume that all suitcase connectors sold on Amazon are equal.
Many are made of plastic that is very inflexible and use a flimzy metal
clip that bends over easily.  Having bought a boatload of these
connectors over the years, I've never been disappointed by the 3M's
Scotchlok brand.

On Mon, 2020-12-14 at 15:42 -0500, vincent marino wrote:
> my brother there are red and black wires coming off the turnout.
> Connect each wire to the same color on your bus. It's very important
> to make sure that throughout the layout you consistently wire red to
> red and black to black. If you stick with that rule your layout will
> be just fine.  Regarding how to connect wires with no soldering I
> used "suitcase connectors" throughout the layout and I don't have any
> problems. Here is the key: make sure you use pliers to close the
> connector onto the wires you want to join together. Once you get the
> hang of it it will be a piece of cake for you. You can buy a bag of
> connectors on amazon for cheap, make sure you get the connectors made
> for 12-14 gauge wire. They are so cheap you can get another size for
> smaller gauge wires. good luck
>
> Sincerely,
> Vincent Marino
> Vincent Marino
> Project Manager
> 904-260-7663 office/cell  
>  
> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i)
> delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute
> or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender
> immediately.
>
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr.
> <joedeyejr@...> wrote:
> > Vincent,
> >  I see that you powered/wired the frogs...I am not going to do
> > it...newbie? where do I wire connectors on the turnout to the bus
> > wire? This will require soldering?
> >
> > Thank you for your patience.
> >
> > Jody (Joe) Correro
> >
> >
> >
> > "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
> > moments that take our breath away!"
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM vincent marino
> > <vmarino2009@...> wrote:
> > > Joe, you have the exact same NCE and Bachmann EZ track system I
> > > have. Let me be honest with you the turnouts are the weakest link
> > > in the EZ track system. Having said that here we go....
> > > My layout is 5 x 12 so a little smaller than yours. I have three
> > > five watt NCE power units with two remote plug in areas for the
> > > power controllers. The 3 power units are linked together and
> > > separated into two power districts each. Make sure you install
> > > circuit breakers into each bus power district. My
> > > personal preference is to have more power than I need, not less
> > > power. However, in your initial design this is an important key.
> > > Design one of the power districts dedicated to just the EZ
> > > turnouts. I have 15 turnouts in one power district. They don't
> > > require much power; so you can probably assign 30 turnouts to one
> > > power district.  
> > >
> > > Now let me answer your question. The layout power is the most
> > > important part of your layout; don't under design the power
> > > supply. By the same token don't under gauge the bus wire. Each
> > > power district bus should return to it's designated power source
> > > in one piece using a minimum 14 gauge wire. For the turnouts I
> > > used 18 gauge wire to connect to the bus. I can get into more
> > > detail but I suggest you go to youtube to see how other guys did
> > > their connections. My biggest success is
> > > using suitcase connectors. Some guys prefer to solder. It really
> > > depends on your skill level and patience. 
> > >
> > > You didn't ask this question but regarding the EZ turnout powered
> > > frogs. Personally I powered mine but frankly they don't need to
> > > be. If you decide to power the frog there is a tiny wire taped to
> > > the underside of the turnout. It gets wired to the positive bus
> > > only. Like I said I wish I hadn't powered them it just requires
> > > more work initially and if you need to troubleshoot it's one less
> > > item to have to consider. Speaking of troubleshooting: a separate
> > > power district for the turnouts is a real plus for obvious
> > > reasons. 
> > >
> > > Good luck. Feel free to contact me with further questions
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Vincent Marino
> > > Vincent Marino
> > > Project Manager
> > > 904-260-7663 office/cell  
> > >  
> > > The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
> > > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i)
> > > delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose,
> > > distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the
> > > sender immediately.
> > >
> > >
> > > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 2:29 PM Joseph A. Correro, Jr.
> > > <joedeyejr@...> wrote:
> > > > How do I connect the Bachmann EZ track nickel silver DCC
> > > > turnout to bus? I'm a newbie and inherited some of the new
> > > > turnouts and purchased additional . I plan to use NCE Power Pro
> > > > radio hand-held to manage my 13.5'x15.5' around the room
> > > > layout.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you
>  
>
>