Topics

Auto Reverse Question

Nick Nelson

I am wiring an area of my layout that has an interior loop with multiple entrances.  This loop may need to be reversed depending on the direction in which a train enters it.  I have seen several diagrams showing a single entrance but not one for two.  Is this possible is the first question, and if so, where do i connect my auto reverser or revesers to it.  I am using a digitrax system.  If i could upload a diagram i would.
Thanks
Nick

mgj21932

Nick,

I am fairly new at this DCC wiring and certainly am not an electronics expert.  But I’ve read a lot and learned even more from this group.

From what I understand you can wire the AR segment with more than one entrance as long as the entrances are from segments that is not themselves wired for AR.  (Two AR segments back-to-back will fight one another.).

Segment your power bus with a branch to serve the AR track segment.  Put your AR switch in line on the power bus branch, up-stream from your track feeders for that segment.  Then wire the track feeders normally and your AR will work whichever way a train enters.

Be sure to have a separate circuit breaker between the AR and your power supply & controller.

Use insulating connectors at both ends of the AR segment (and at any other point of connection to an adjacent non-AR segment).

Please, anyone, if I’ve got that wrong, correct me.  No hard feelings here.   Trying to be helpful but testing limits of my knowledge too.

Bill Demarest

On Apr 12, 2020, at 9:26 PM, Nick Nelson via groups.io <nnelson97@...> wrote:

I am wiring an area of my layout that has an interior loop with multiple entrances.  This loop may need to be reversed depending on the direction in which a train enters it.  I have seen several diagrams showing a single entrance but not one for two.  Is this possible is the first question, and if so, where do i connect my auto reverser or revesers to it.  I am using a digitrax system.  If i could upload a diagram i would.
Thanks
Nick

Pete

Thanks Bill, like your summary.
I did all the steps you mention for my ARs with the exception of the "separate circuit breaker between the AR and your power supply & controller".
My layout is HO and I have two AR sections.
What circuit breakers do you recommend?
Are there any other places I should have circuit breakers?

mgj21932

Pete,
I'm using Tam Valley frog juicers as AR (Hex Juicer handles up to 3 AR sections).  I use the TM circuit breaker because it is "slower" than the ARs so they detect the short and switch cycles/polarity quicker than the circuit breaker can trip.
I understand a common problem is circuit breakers that trip faster than the AR.  Not good.  Some Circuit breakers can have timing adjusted but that is beyond my plug-and-play ken.
Bill

On Monday, April 13, 2020, 12:02:40 PM EDT, Pete via groups.io <kayakerpc@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill, like your summary.
I did all the steps you mention for my ARs with the exception of the "separate circuit breaker between the AR and your power supply & controller".
My layout is HO and I have two AR sections.
What circuit breakers do you recommend?
Are there any other places I should have circuit breakers?

Pete

I just bought and installed two Digitrax BXPA1 AR modules.  I dont know anything about juicers, I'll have to do some research.
Are juicers better than the AR modules I bought?
Is the TM circuit breaker seperate from the juicer?
Would the TM  circuit breaker work with my Digitrax ARs tha same as with your juicer?
Thanks for your help,
Pete

Pete

Also, What is the full name for "TM"" circuit breaker?
Pete
Bellevue, Wa

mgj21932

Pete:

1.  "Are juicers better than the AR modules I bought?"  You say potAto, I say PotAHto.  Everyone has preferences, and I certainly am not in a position to say one is better than the other.  I picked Tam Valley stuff because I was starting from scratch and wanted components I knew would work together, including their system for controlling turnouts that I felt had distinct advantages -- particularly their fascia -mounted switches with integral LED lights for direction.  Fact that relative timing of juicer and circuit breaker work together favored using both together.

2.   "Is the TM circuit breaker separate from the juicer?"   Absolutely.  And the circuit breaker operates on a timer that is coordinated with (and intentionally slower) than reaction time of the TM juicer.  There are other circuit breakers out there that will do the same thing.  Most likely one made by  the manufacture of your AR switches could be made to work.  But a circuit breaker is critical.  It will protect all your track segments within the protected block (if you have more than one block, you'll want separate circuit breakers for each block) and performs a different function from your AR switches.

3.   "Would the TM  circuit breaker work with my Digitrax ARs the same as with your juicer?"  I believe so; issue is merely one of relative timing.  I would contact Duncan McRee at TV (dmcree@...) with that question,

Hope this helps,
Bill

On Monday, April 13, 2020, 02:59:41 PM EDT, Pete via groups.io <kayakerpc@...> wrote:

I just bought and installed two Digitrax BXPA1 AR modules.  I dont know anything about juicers, I'll have to do some research.
Are juicers better than the AR modules I bought?
Is the TM circuit breaker seperate from the juicer?
Would the TM  circuit breaker work with my Digitrax ARs tha same as with your juicer?
Thanks for your help,
Pete

mgj21932

Pete,
Go to tamvalleydepot.com.  Under product tab you will find both the juicers and circuit breaker, as well as servos and controllers with dedicated wiring and actuator switches (that I like) for turnouts.  Website can be challenging to navigate and open all the products tabs, and read all the way to the bottom, to find everything they offer.
Bill