Topics

Audible Alarm for shorts

Edward Sargent

Our club is using NCE CP6 for circuit protection (tail light bulbs), because of the large number of visitors (we are in a popular restaurant)  and the fact that half the layout is in a separate room we would like to add a buzzer system to alert us when there is a short. Because of the crowds and a lift up bridge it takes a while to reach the command station. We are installing emergency shut offs so the power can be cut quickly but if we don't know there is a short it maybe too late. We did have an incident where the light was on long enough that the smell of smoke was our first clue  (the CP6 was not in your line of sight).

john

   Here is another option for shutting down. Wire your track through a Digitrax PM42 or a similar device. You would be able to wire up to 4 tracks or 4 blocks with it. If you still want a buzzer, wire a low voltage, low wattage relay across the rails and use it's NC contacts to switch on a buzzer when the track power is opened by the auto auto-circuit breaker.
   There are a number of auto circuit breakers available that may better fit your needs.
   The brake light bulbs are very useful if they are visible. They even encourage a crescendo of Short, SHORT, short, from the viewers but they are ineffective if they are hidden.
   Where is this popular restaurant. Just for the trains mind you, just the trains.
john

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 2:54 PM, "ed_sargent@... [WiringForDCC]" wrote:

Our club is using NCE CP6 for circuit protection (tail light bulbs), because of the large number of visitors (we are in a popular restaurant)  and the fact that half the layout is in a separate room we would like to add a buzzer system to alert us when there is a short. Because of the crowds and a lift up bridge it takes a while to reach the command station. We are installing emergency shut offs so the power can be cut quickly but if we don't know there is a short it maybe too late. We did have an incident where the light was on long enough that the smell of smoke was our first clue  (the CP6 was not in your line of sight).

Edward Sargent

Actually the bulbs are visible, unless the operator is in the other room or has his/her back to the CP6 and gabbing with a visitor. Not all visitors have a clue the light means short, a lot thing the trains run on batteries. We have 4 power districts so the CP6 was far cheaper than 4 circuit breakers, I also work at a museum where there are 42 breakers (I think) and one buzzer. It is a real problem figuring out where the short is, with the CP6 we have an immediate indication. I'm thinking maybe a sensor that goes off because it detects light.

The restaurant is the White Fence Farm in Lakewood Colorado, we get 200-400 visitors from the restaurant when the layout is running.

[...]

Thomas

I would think you could use photocells to monitor the bulbs.
When  bulb lights it would be easy to have a circuit triggered
by the photocells to sound a buzzer or even disconnect power.
Tom

Our club is using NCE CP6 for circuit protection (tail light bulbs), because of the large number of visitors (we are in a popular restaurant)  and the fact that half the layout is in a separate room we would like to add a buzzer system to alert us when there is a short. Because of the crowds and a lift up bridge it takes a while to reach the command station. We are installing emergency shut offs so the power can be cut quickly but if we don't know there is a short it maybe too late. We did have an incident where the light was on long enough that the smell of smoke was our first clue  (the CP6 was not in your line of sight).
__._,_

Kurt Konrath

Have you thought of adding something like a Piezo Transducer in the circuit with light bulb.  The make an annoying buzz when powered

Kurt

[...]

Are they adjustable, as I understand it there is always current going through the bulb just not enough to light it. When we had the 1amp bulbs they would glow a little with 1 sound loco, with 2 sound locos plus lighted cars the bulbs would consume all the power. Now we have the 1.75amp bulbs and we see no glow. These piezo transducers, if they buzz with little current then would it not be like tinnitus?