Topics

Atlas Switches

James Cunningham

Hi Guys

I’m currently using on my DCC layout Atlas turnout motors with a Atlas Snap relay and of
course Atlas switches. is there another switch I can use the atlas slide switch has tendency
of getting stuck and burning up the motor and snap relay.

                 Thank You
                 Jimmy
        PS Love Your Group Great Information

John Myers

Tortoise under table switch machines are very good. Walthers and others make machines, too. Who holds the purse strings:)?

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021, 8:04 AM James Cunningham via groups.io <jccowboys825=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Guys

I’m currently using on my DCC layout Atlas turnout motors with a Atlas Snap relay and of
course Atlas switches. is there another switch I can use the atlas slide switch has tendency
of getting stuck and burning up the motor and snap relay.

                 Thank You
                 Jimmy
        PS Love Your Group Great Information

Tim

You can use any momentary switch for this. For instance:
Two separate momentary push buttons
2 pole center off momentary toggle switch (returns to center off position when released)
Wand and screws (put screws in the control panel connected to the L and R connections on the snap relay. Power supply goes to the C connection on one side and the wand on the other.)
(Admittedly extravagant) LCC nodes and switch driver cards.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Daniel Brewer

Hi Jimmy,

I use MRCS MP1 v2 switches.

http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/mp1-version-2-switch-motor/

They are  1.5" wide, 1.5" high by .5" deep and I mount them on top of my layout right next to the turnout. I use 1/2" foam for my sub roadbed and just bury them with a thin sheet of styrene over them and add scenery materials. The throw wire (I use straightened large paperclips) can be ent to conform to the edge of your roadbed so they are virtually undetectable. You can mount them under the base layer ( I use 3/16" luan) as well with small screws.

Dan

Drew Aldridge

Any momentary SPDT switch from an electronics supplier will work. It will be labeled (On) Off (On). The brackets () designate momentary.

I just bought one myself yesterday to check some uneeded switches.

John White

I have pretty much the same setup, including some of the slide switches and I also use a mini toggle with a momentary push button to activate the switch motor. Works pretty well. Hope this helps
John White

Paul Welte

Jimmy,

I've been using a capacitive discharge unit for 10 years and haven't had anyone burn up one of my switch machines since I started using it. It's just a fancy name for a circuit/board that sits between the switches and the solenoids and fires a quick burst of voltage when the switch is pressed. It then removes voltage and won't "fire" again until the switch is released and pressed again. You can build your own for less than $10 or buy one for under $40. One CDU will operate many solenoids so you don't have to buy/build one for each turnout.

Hope this helps!

Paul

On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 10:04 AM James Cunningham via groups.io <jccowboys825=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Guys

I’m currently using on my DCC layout Atlas turnout motors with a Atlas Snap relay and of
course Atlas switches. is there another switch I can use the atlas slide switch has tendency
of getting stuck and burning up the motor and snap relay.

                 Thank You
                 Jimmy
        PS Love Your Group Great Information

Brian Eiland

I used CD units to operated groups of my Atlas turnouts as well As I posted here,

The traditional Atlas turnout controls are NO longer utilized. Several capacitor-discharge units now power the turnouts when a zone button is pushed. There are toggle switches placed at each turnout location on the track plan diagrams, and their ‘handles’ are oriented so as to indicate the direction in which the track turnout is thrown. So choose the train’s route, throw all the applicable toggles to the desired direction, and then press the ‘zone button’ to activate the turnout operation.

Brian

Brian Eiland

Electrical Control Panels
Just found some better images of those control panes I had for the turnout controls. Hopefully here you can see the toggle switch handles that point to the direction the turnout will be thrown,..then the 'zone buttons that need to be pushed to activate the capacitive discharge units. Only a couple of those CD units were needed