Topics

Atlas signal - Tortoise Interlocking


Bill Wilken
 

Atlas has published an excellent wiring diagram (see attached) showing
how to create an interlocking connection between its two-headed signal
and an Atlas switch motor. I want to substitute a Tortoise switch
motor for the Atlas switch motor, but do not want to proceed until I
have a clear understanding of how to wire the Tortoise to the Atlas
control boards. Among other things, I suspect that in-line resistors
may be required, but have not idea of what type.


wirefordcc
 

Hi Bill,

This group does not handle attachments.  Instead, you need to upload the to the Photos or Files sections.  Just name your attachments and tell us where you put them.

Thank you!

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


Bill Wilken
 

Thanks.  I'll be happy to do so, but what is the URL for the "Files Section?"  I can't find any such entry  in the website's Site Map/Index.

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 05:45 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Bill,

This group does not handle attachments.  Instead, you need to upload the to the Photos or Files sections.  Just name your attachments and tell us where you put them.

Thank you!

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


Carl
 

Hello Allan:

The Toy Train group has switched to allowing attachments. It is really nice to have a picture in the email and not have to search for it. They still have the photo and file sections. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Carl.

On 8/5/2020 8:54 AM, Bill Wilken wrote:
Thanks.  I'll be happy to do so, but what is the URL for the "Files Section?"  I can't find any such entry  in the website's Site Map/Index.

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 05:45 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Bill,

This group does not handle attachments.  Instead, you need to upload the to the Photos or Files sections.  Just name your attachments and tell us where you put them.

Thank you!

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


wirefordcc
 

It's right under Photos on the left menu when you are in the group.


Brian Lewis
 

May I enquire why not please?  Surely attachments are the quickest and easiest way to demonstrate you problems/solutions.

On 05/08/2020 13:45, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Bill,

This group does not handle attachments. 

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC
--

Regards and thanks

 

Brian Lewis


wirefordcc
 

Hi Bill,

I reviewed the Atlas schematic you supplied and also went the Atlas website to learn a little bit about the Atlas Signal Control Board (SCB).  I found that it does not control the Atlas switch machine or Tortoise as you desire.  Rather, the Atlas switch machine or a Tortoise provides input to it.

The blue wire you see on the Atlas schematic that goes to the common on the Atlas switch machine would be attached to terminal 4 on a Tortoise.  The two green wires shown going to the Atlas switch machine go to terminals 2 and 3 on the Tortoise.  If you get the wrong aspect displayed, swap the wires going to 2 and 3.

You can control the Tortoise with DCC via an accessory decoder like made by NCE or Digitrax or through any traditional means of controlling a Tortoise switch machine. For more on controlling Tortoise switch machines, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


wirefordcc
 

Hi Brian,

Loading them into the photos and files section is easy, too, and doesn’t spread viruses to the computers of group members.  The administrators of this forum talk about it every so often and we still don’t want anyone’s computer to be adversely affected.

 

Allan

 

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 11:59 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Atlas signal - Tortoise Interlocking

 

May I enquire why not please?  Surely attachments are the quickest and easiest way to demonstrate you problems/solutions.

On 05/08/2020 13:45, wirefordcc wrote:

Hi Bill,

This group does not handle attachments. 

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

--

Regards and thanks

 

Brian Lewis


Bill Wilken
 

Alan,

Many thanks.  Actually, I do want the switch machine to provide input ... exactly as you suggest.

On a number of schematics I've seen showing Tortoises connected to signals, the schematic shows a resistor between the signal and Tortoise.  But given that the Atlas signal control board can handle up to 12 volts, I'm guessing that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm all set on switch motor wiring.  Thank heaven for the availability of SMAILs.  The small added charge for the DCC control chip on the switch motor is worth every penny.  

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 11:29 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Bill,

I reviewed the Atlas schematic you supplied and also went the Atlas website to learn a little bit about the Atlas Signal Control Board (SCB).  I found that it does not control the Atlas switch machine or Tortoise as you desire.  Rather, the Atlas switch machine or a Tortoise provides input to it.

The blue wire you see on the Atlas schematic that goes to the common on the Atlas switch machine would be attached to terminal 4 on a Tortoise.  The two green wires shown going to the Atlas switch machine go to terminals 2 and 3 on the Tortoise.  If you get the wrong aspect displayed, swap the wires going to 2 and 3.

You can control the Tortoise with DCC via an accessory decoder like made by NCE or Digitrax or through any traditional means of controlling a Tortoise switch machine. For more on controlling Tortoise switch machines, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


wirefordcc
 

If there is a resistor between the Tortoise and signal, that may be because the Tortoise may being used to drive an LED directly.  That isn't an issue with the Atlas SCB.


Bill Wilken
 

Alan,

Thanks for your help on this.  I have only one follow-up question.  You indicate the "blue" wire should run from Tortoise terminal 4 to common.  But common on what?  A rail?  Common on the Atlas signal control board?  Or common on the BD-20?  

Bill 

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 11:29 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Bill,

I reviewed the Atlas schematic you supplied and also went the Atlas website to learn a little bit about the Atlas Signal Control Board (SCB).  I found that it does not control the Atlas switch machine or Tortoise as you desire.  Rather, the Atlas switch machine or a Tortoise provides input to it.

The blue wire you see on the Atlas schematic that goes to the common on the Atlas switch machine would be attached to terminal 4 on a Tortoise.  The two green wires shown going to the Atlas switch machine go to terminals 2 and 3 on the Tortoise.  If you get the wrong aspect displayed, swap the wires going to 2 and 3.

You can control the Tortoise with DCC via an accessory decoder like made by NCE or Digitrax or through any traditional means of controlling a Tortoise switch machine. For more on controlling Tortoise switch machines, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC


wirefordcc
 

Bill,

 

The Atlas switch machine has a common terminal.  You don’t need to get hung up over the term common.  Just look at the Atlas diagram you sent me.  You will see a blue wire that went to the Atlas.  Instead of connecting that blue to the Atlas, connect it to terminal 4 of the Tortoise.

 

Allan

 

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Wilken
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2020 1:43 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Atlas signal - Tortoise Interlocking

 

Alan,

 

Thanks for your help on this.  I have only one follow-up question.  You indicate the "blue" wire should run from Tortoise terminal 4 to common.  But common on what?  A rail?  Common on the Atlas signal control board?  Or common on the BD-20?  

 

Bill 

 

On Wed, 2020-08-05 at 11:29 -0700, wirefordcc wrote:

Hi Bill,

I reviewed the Atlas schematic you supplied and also went the Atlas website to learn a little bit about the Atlas Signal Control Board (SCB).  I found that it does not control the Atlas switch machine or Tortoise as you desire.  Rather, the Atlas switch machine or a Tortoise provides input to it.

The blue wire you see on the Atlas schematic that goes to the common on the Atlas switch machine would be attached to terminal 4 on a Tortoise.  The two green wires shown going to the Atlas switch machine go to terminals 2 and 3 on the Tortoise.  If you get the wrong aspect displayed, swap the wires going to 2 and 3.

You can control the Tortoise with DCC via an accessory decoder like made by NCE or Digitrax or through any traditional means of controlling a Tortoise switch machine. For more on controlling Tortoise switch machines, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/sw_ctl.htm

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC