Topics

Advanced Consisting

Ric Zimmerman

Is advanced consisting controlled by the decoder or the command station?  Will older decoders work with advanced consisting.  I have an NCE ProCab system.

RicZ

vincent marino

I have NCE and the pro cab controls the decoders consequently the pro cab controls the consists as well

Sincerely,
Vincent Marino
Vincent Marino
Affordable Roofing Contractors
Project Manager
904-260-7663 office
904-683-2914 fax
904-449-6339  mobile
www.bestaffordablecontractors.com

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:54 PM <zimmermane@...> wrote:
Is advanced consisting controlled by the decoder or the command station?  Will older decoders work with advanced consisting.  I have an NCE ProCab system.

RicZ

Craig Zeni

With NCE the answer is yes... it's a combination of both.  NCE uses a great alias system in the command station along with the advanced consisting address in the decoder.  Use NCE's built in menu to set up the consist; it works extremely well.

It's primarily ancient decoders or inexpensive decoders that don't support advanced consisting.  Just check the specs when buying a new decoder.

Craig Zeni
Cary, NC
Despatched from my infernal Android

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, 16:54 <zimmermane@...> wrote:
Is advanced consisting controlled by the decoder or the command station?  Will older decoders work with advanced consisting.  I have an NCE ProCab system.

RicZ

Ric Zimmerman

OK, given that the command station controls the advance consisting data, can one use older decoders such as Soundtraxx LC100AT or even Lenz decodes in this set-up?

RicZ

Craig Zeni

If they support CV19, yes.  But I don't know if those decoders support CV19... you'll have to determine that yourself

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 10:35 <zimmermane@...> wrote:
OK, given that the command station controls the advance consisting data, can one use older decoders such as Soundtraxx LC100AT or even Lenz decodes in this set-up?

RicZ

Don Vollrath

If you don't have info on a decoder in question... put the loco on the programming track, verify that you can read back the mfg and decoder ID. Then see if you can read CV19. If it comes back as a zero, chances are good it will respond to advanced consisting. If it comes back as a 255 or 'cannot read' there is no CV19 on that decoder and no advance consisting. Programming a short address number into CV19 should put into that particular consist. But if you are using NCE use their built-in easy to use advance consisting management features in the command station.

DonV

Mark Gurries

Today I am not aware of any US name brand modern decoder that do not support CV19.   Back early days up to around 2005, some models of decoder did not support CV19.  MRC and Digitrax.  I suspect that same is true for some old European brands other than Lenz.

On Sep 6, 2018, at 9:35 AM, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:

If you don't have info on a decoder in question... put the loco on the programming track, verify that you can read back the mfg and decoder ID. Then see if you can read CV19. If it comes back as a zero, chances are good it will respond to advanced consisting. If it comes back as a 255 or 'cannot read' there is no CV19 on that decoder and no advance consisting. Programming a short address number into CV19 should put into that particular consist. But if you are using NCE use their built-in easy to use advance consisting management features in the command station.

DonV

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer