Topics

A question on DCC track wiring using yard point triple turnouts

sherryjimmy6116@...

I am doing a small yard layout and in it I am using four yard point triple turnouts. These are Shinohara not for DCC so I will modify each of the 12 switches for DCC, but I wondering where I should attach the track power leads so as to get the best performance. I will attach track power to each of the 12 spurs, but not sure about the rail between the switch mechanisms on the triple turnouts. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

Don Vollrath

Generally the older Shinohara turnouts were of the power routing type with the point rails picking up power from the stock rails and passing it on to not only the frog, but also the exiting frog rails. So take a close look at your switches... AND the pattern of track that you intend to connect them. [It is difficult for others to envision your planned configurations.] Then be sure to provide rail gaps or insulating joiners so that there will be no short circuits created with any and all possible combinations of throw bar positions. Now go back and discover what rail sections have no power or are of fixed polarity. Provide power feeders to those rails. It may be helpful to make a truth table to identify the needed polarity of every rail in the turnout system. This might be an ideal place to use frog juicers to correct polarity issues.

DonV

Don Vollrath

Be sure to read through the discussions and photos of various turnout issues and modifications on Allan's site www.wiringfordcc.com
DonV

sherry robyn <sherryjimmy6116@...>

Thanks Don.

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:41 AM, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay

Hi!
On my Shinohara 3 way I ended up putting power feeds at each ray point.
The engines lost power on the out rays.
Now it works as it should.
Jay

Jay

Sorry, I forgot.
I had to isolate the out feeds.
Shorts were happening on my DCC system.
I put isolators on both rails on each leg.
Then added power to each leg, past the isolators.
No more shorts!
Jay

George Galyon

F YI..our club uses a Shinohara C100 (old version with double crossbars on the point rails) three-way in our passenger yard..unmodified for DCC.  It works just fine with all of our rolling stock.  We feed power at the point end using just point-stock rail contacts (a real no-no..but it works).  And, so far, nothing shorts out at that "trouble spot" adjacent to the point-closure rail connection.  I did jumper wire the point-closure rails because the rail joiner connection that came with the Shinohara 3-way was useless as an electrical connection.  Depending on what vintage you have, there may be another little short prone spot adjacent to one of the frog wing rails.  Just trim back the wing rail and/or put a little dab of JB weld on the tip of the wing rail and you'll be good to go.

I know that many will advocate converting the Shinoharas to be DCC friendly by removing the crossbars on the point rails.  Run it first to see if you have any shorting problems caused by those crossbars.  Chances are you will not..and you can save yourself a bit of tedious work.    It's a particularly difficult conversion on the old, double-crossbar Shinoharas...not so bad on the single crossbar versions.