Topics

A question on DCC track wiring using yard point triple turnouts

sherry robyn

I am doing a small yard layout and in it I am using four yard point triple turnouts. These are Shinohara not for DCC so I will modify each of the 12 switches for DCC, but I wondering where I should attach the track power leads so as to get the best performance. I will attach track power to each of the 12 spurs, but not sure about the rail between the switch mechanisms on the triple turnouts. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

Don Vollrath

Generally the older Shinohara turnouts were of the power routing type with the point rails picking up power from the stock rails and passing it on to not only the frog, but also the exiting frog rails. So take a close look at your switches... AND the pattern of track that you intend to connect them. [It is difficult for others to envision your planned configurations.] Then be sure to provide rail gaps or insulating joiners so that there will be no short circuits created with any and all possible combinations of throw bar positions. Now go back and discover what rail sections have no power or are of fixed polarity. Provide power feeders to those rails. It may be helpful to make a truth table to identify the needed polarity of every rail in the turnout system. This might be an ideal place to use frog juicers to correct polarity issues.

DonV

Don Vollrath

Be sure to read through the discussions and photos of various turnout issues and modifications on Allan's site www.wiringfordcc.com
DonV

sherry robyn

Thanks Don.

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 9:41 AM, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay

Hi!
On my Shinohara 3 way I ended up putting power feeds at each ray point.
The engines lost power on the out rays.
Now it works as it should.
Jay

Jay

Sorry, I forgot.
I had to isolate the out feeds.
Shorts were happening on my DCC system.
I put isolators on both rails on each leg.
Then added power to each leg, past the isolators.
No more shorts!
Jay