One reversing loop to support reversing in both directions off the mainline?

wyantj01@...

I am building a relatively simple O scale layout where I have a reversing loop within a circular mainline.  It currently reverses trains in one direction using a PSX-AR in the reversing section.  Ideally I would have a second reversing loop for the other direction but I do not have space.  It occurred to me that I might be able to use the existing  reversing loop by connecting from other mainline direction into the reversing loop entry point.  Is there anything I am missing re: using a loop for both directions?

BTW I would post a sketch but I do not have the photo icon in the editor...  maybe because I am new member moderated in this group.

Thanks for any thoughts here.
Jeremy

Allan AE2V

Jeremy,

I think you are describing an oval with a diagonal reversing track.  Go to my website and scroll down for a picture of this.

https://wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#reversing

If this is what you have in mind, it works.  No wiring challenges.

I just need to give you a heads up.  When the train is travelling counter clockwise, you can enter the reversing section going forward and travel to the other side.  But once you have done this and are traveling clockwise, you won't be able to enter the reversing section going forward.  You will need to back through the reversing section to get it turned around and traveling counter clockwise again.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Don Vollrath

Jeremy, it’s difficult to see without a sketch or drawing . From your description I would expect it to require something resembling a wye to re-enter the turn-around loop from the opposite direction. Nothing wrong as long as the AR section is long enough to hold the entire train before reaching the exit.

DonV

Blair

The simplest way to connect such that both directions have a reversing loop is the old 'figure 8 with sidebars', with either back-to-back Y turnouts, or a crossing, in the center.  The entire 'X' in the center would need to be powered through an autoreverser.

Don't recall if we can have attachments, so I've attached a sketch and will post to files if it doesn't appear.

Blair

wyantj01@...

Having back to back Y turnouts is what I think I am proposing... but I realized after updating my sketch it will not work because the X in the center is not long enough for a train.

I will post my sketch but have yet to figure out where to post photos or files and groupsIO help is not much help and the group's website doesn't identify the a site for files.  I have requested help from the moderator.

Blair

I have no idea how you're accessing groups.io.

Here's a link to the members manual for groups.  Many moderators/owners don't know this exists.

https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual

As for "the group's website doesn't identify the a site for files" - are you logged in?  Most groups "files" and "photos" areas are not visible if you're not logged in.  If you're logged in, and on a computer,  the "photos" and "files" areas are accessible through the "photos" and "files" menu items on the left hand side.

HTH

Blair

On 3/13/2022 11:03 AM, wyantj01@... wrote:

Having back to back Y turnouts is what I think I am proposing... but I realized after updating my sketch it will not work because the X in the center is not long enough for a train.

I will post my sketch but have yet to figure out where to post photos or files and groupsIO help is not much help and the group's website doesn't identify the a site for files.  I have requested help from the moderator.

Blair

If you're on an android phone, the files and photos options are available through the "hamburger" button  on the bottom right of the web page.

You're welcome.
Blair

wyantj01@...

Thanks for the reminder on the "hamburger" button.  Thats the key to finding photos/files AND the help manual.  I've stumbled on these in the past... maybe I'll remember next time.  Now I've created an album with one photo. unfortunately the manual provides no information on how to include a link in an update to the above thread... I can apparently send a notify message to everyone in the group... I elected not to do that.

Richard Sutcliffe

On Mar 13, 2022, at 10:44 AM, Blair <smithbr@...> wrote:

If you're on an android phone, the files and photos options are available through the "hamburger" button  on the bottom right of the web page.

You're welcome.
Blair

Take care, be safe, stay well.

Blair

Dick

Your point?

Curious
On 3/13/2022 7:30 PM, Richard Sutcliffe via groups.io wrote:

On Mar 13, 2022, at 10:44 AM, Blair <smithbr@...> wrote:

If you're on an android phone, the files and photos options are available through the "hamburger" button  on the bottom right of the web page.

You're welcome.
Blair

Take care, be safe, stay well.
Dick
ras1@...

Don Vollrath

After seeing your sketch… that will work fine providing your proposed new AR section is long enough to support the whole train. Easiest add-on with minimal changes.

There are other ways… including using 2 “throat controlled relays” to avoid using the AR units.

DonV

wyantj01@...

Don
Thanks for your quick response. I had convinced myself that the proposed reversing section would not work.  I re-posted the photo with some additional identifiers in order to gain a better personal understanding of how this will work.  Assuming there is no phase change when a train enters the proposed section at point A, this section will definitely change phase at B.  If the train continues through point D, that reversing section may change phase.  The fact that a train will span both reversing sections is immaterial.
Please let me know if I have this right.
Thanks
Jeremy

Don Vollrath

As long as the entire train will fit in the proposed section A-B and the back to back turnouts remain fixed polarity… just provide double rail isolating gaps at A and B and another AR controller for section A-B powered directly from the mains booster. No other changes required.

The fixed polarity back to back turnouts will separate the two AR sections with a long enough fixed polarity section so that they will operate independently of each other. PERIOD (see and ignore previous long winded discussions on this subject)

DonV

Tim

This arrangement requires two reversing sections unless, as DonV mentioned, the distance between the wye switches is long enough to hold the entire train. Using two relays, one connected to each turnout, handles this quite well. I've put another picture in your folder.

w4dccqa@groups.io | Photo

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Don Vollrath

Tim’s relay solution will work also. But it does require that you isolate and re-wire the two turnout section as shown. Then you can dispense with the need of both/either AR controller. Just make sure you use relays to flip the polarity, rather than sliding contacts that will produce a slower noticeable interruption of power.

Either way the operator is responsible for correctly controlling the turnouts.

DonV