Wiring a NCE Switch 8 to Mini Panel

Brent Johnson

Yahtzee! There was nothing mentioned about a jumper in the instructions or on the diagram in the manual. After removing the tiny jumper, everything works. Thanks Joe!

Brent

On Dec 31, 2021, at 9:57 AM, Joe Skorch <jskorch@...> wrote:

Brent,
When testing the Mini Panel are you removing the jumper?

Joe

Joe Skorch

Brent,
When testing the Mini Panel are you removing the jumper?

Joe

Brent Johnson

Tom,
The Switch 8 appears to be wired correctly as it does what it is supposed to do when a command is sent from the Pro Cab. I wired the push buttons to the panel like you said, only difference is I daisy chained the ground wire between the push buttons so I end up with one wire going to the ground port. I am not using Leds.

I just tried changing the address from default 3 on the mini panel and reprogrammed it. Still not responding. Everything looks like it’s wired correctly.

Brent

On Dec 31, 2021, at 8:20 AM, Tom Grassi via groups.io <trgrassijr@...> wrote:

Brent

Output 1 and 8 from the tortoise goes to the Switch 8

Not sure what type of push buttons you have but two wires from the push button goes to the mini panel   1 wire to one of the 1 -32 ports the other wire goes to the ground port on the mini panel I setup a terminal block for the ground wires  the mini panel only has three spots for ground.

Do you have LED's on you push button panel?   If so then the two wires go to the output 1 on the tortoise  you splice the output one wire and put the LED wires one on each end you may need to flip flop them use clips to test first.
HTH

--
Tom Grassi
trgrassijr@...

Tom Grassi

Brent

Output 1 and 8 from the tortoise goes to the Switch 8

Not sure what type of push buttons you have but two wires from the push button goes to the mini panel   1 wire to one of the 1 -32 ports the other wire goes to the ground port on the mini panel I setup a terminal block for the ground wires  the mini panel only has three spots for ground.

Do you have LED's on you push button panel?   If so then the two wires go to the output 1 on the tortoise  you splice the output one wire and put the LED wires one on each end you may need to flip flop them use clips to test first.
HTH

--
Tom Grassi
trgrassijr@...

Brent Johnson

Steve,
I tested the Switch 8 by sending commands through the ProCab and seeing it correctly threw the tortoises for each accessory address.

When programming the mini panel, the ProCab gives the option to test the program. In test mode, it should throw the tortoises in the order programmed. It did not work in test mode or with the push buttons.

Brent

On Dec 31, 2021, at 2:17 AM, Steve Haas <Goatfisher2@...> wrote:

Brent Johnson inquires:

“I am wiring a staging yard control panel for push button routing using a NCE Switch 8 and NCE mini panel. I wired the Switch 8, tested it, and each tortoise responded to their accessory addresses correctly.”

A good start!

“I then programmed the mini panel.  When I tested the mini panel routing on the ProCab or the push buttons, neither responded.”

How did you do your initial testing of the Switch 8? What did you use to send commands to it that allowed it to properly drive the tortoise to your satisfaction?

I’m a bit confused by your comment that you tested the mini panel routing on the ProCab – is that part of the programming process for the Mini-panel??? It’s been years since I’ve had to program one and the mind doesn’t retain everything like it used to <GRIN>.  One does not activate a Mini-panel input via a ProCab.  Mini-panel commands are triggered by grounding the input in question (typically by a push button).  That triggers the execution of the command(s) programmed in the Mini-panel connected to that input.  If you are grounding input #1 and that doesn’t do what you programmed input #1 to do you will need to review your programming.  You should also review the addressing of the Switch 8(s) in question.

“Should the Switch 8 be wired directly to the mini panel somehow?”

No.

“The Switch 8 is fed by the track power and the mini panel is fed by the cab bus.”

That is correct.

“Any help is appreciated.”

I’d review what I’ve said here, see if it makes sense.  A better place to ask for help on this topic is the NCE-DCC group on groups.io.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Steve Haas

[...]

I am wiring a staging yard control panel for push button routing using a NCE Switch 8 and NCE mini panel. I wired the Switch 8, tested it, and each tortoise responded to their accessory addresses correctly. I then programmed the mini panel.  When I tested the mini panel routing on the ProCab or the push buttons, neither responded. Should the Switch 8 be wired directly to the mini panel somehow? The Switch 8 is fed by the track power and the mini panel is fed by the cab bus. Any help is appreciated.

Brent Johnson