Wiring Indicator Bipolar LED into Toggle Switch

emrldsky

Hi Marvin,
If it is true that you will ONLY be generating those accessory commands from the Mini-Panel,
then use DPDT switches. One side of each switch would be used to generate the commands as you describe, and the other side would be used to switch the legs of the bi-color diode. This assumes that you will be using the three leg type diodes. If you are going to use the two leg bi-color diode, then use the DPDT switches and hook the diode thru a limiting resistor in parallel with the switch output to the control panel. You will then have to figure out how to make the reverse polarity work as the input to the mini panel.  DPDT switches can be found in almost the same size of the SPDT switches.

Peace,
Mike G.

On 12/9/2021 2:43 PM, wirefordcc wrote:
Hi Marvin,

You mention that you want to throw turnouts via accessory commands.  Would you ONLY be generating those accessory commands from the Mini-Panel?  Or would you maybe also throw turnouts via your throttle or JMRI?  If you plan to use a throttle or JMRI or both, you can't do what you want to do because the LED attached to a toggle won't know the state of the turnout after you use your throttle or JMRI.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DC

Allan AE2V

Hi Marvin,

You mention that you want to throw turnouts via accessory commands.  Would you ONLY be generating those accessory commands from the Mini-Panel?  Or would you maybe also throw turnouts via your throttle or JMRI?  If you plan to use a throttle or JMRI or both, you can't do what you want to do because the LED attached to a toggle won't know the state of the turnout after you use your throttle or JMRI.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DC

Marvin Pankaskie

I am building a toggle switch panel that will control all my turnouts by connecting the 3 (SPDT 3 or 6 lugs) toggle switch leads to a NCE mini-panel and programming it to throw the turnout Tortoises via accessory addresses. For a variety of reasons, I would like to add a bipolar indicating LED to the panel for each toggle switch and connect it somehow to the toggle switch instead of running wire under the layout back to the Tortoise. I know this is not the optimal design, but there are reasons why this may be easier for me to do than crawling under my layout and running more wire. I have not purchased the toggles or LEDs yet pending a more definitive schematic on how to wire the LED to the toggle lugs and then connect the toggle to the mini-panel. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Marvin Pankaskie

Rochester, NY