What is a "throat controlled relay"

Tim Tedrow

What is a "throat controlled relay"?
Who makes them?

Thanks,
Tim

Paul O <pomilian@...>

Tim, can you supply a little more context as to where this phrase was used?

Paul O

On Apr 10, 2021, at 1:46 PM, Tim Tedrow via groups.io <Black_dog_42000@...> wrote:

What is a "throat controlled relay"?
Who makes them?

Thanks,
Tim

wirefordcc

Hi Tim,

A throat controlled relay is one that is activated by a turnout that is at the throat of a balloon track.  I used them to reverse the polarity of the balloon track depending on which way the turnout is thrown.  For examples, go to my website at:  https://wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a46

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Blair

Greg

As I see it, that's a DPDT toggle switch, or a slider, the output from it is used to both control the Tortoise and the track polarity.  "SV #1" is probably "SW #1", i.e. switch number 1.

Although, it could just as easily be a DPDT relay controlled by an automation system.
Blair

jnwoofer

Greg/Blair,

If you look at Allan's page, the basic "throat controlled relay" is inside the Tortoise when you are using 2-7 contacts.  As you set the route through the throat (using contacts 1 and 8), the other contacts change accordingly, allowing the polarity to be swapped (and some people will call this "extended power routing", by the way).  Allan does show a color version of the tortoise contacts below #4 of the "Reversing a Balloon Track with a Tortoise".

If you don't use the Tortoise contacts, he shows you can use an external separate relay in the first diagram under #1.  The relay is above the block labelled "Tortoise".

The DPDT switch on the left side of that same diagram is used to control both the route through the turnout and the loop polarity.

So, the "throat controlled relay" is just the relay part, not the DPDT switch or the combination of the DPDT switch and the relay.

Hope this helps!
Jim

The action of pubining the selection of the turnout setting (contacts 1 and 8) and an additional relay outside of the tortoise onto a DPDT switch used to control both the Tortoise and the track polarity.

Don Vollrath

A throat controlled relay is  a DPDT relay used to set the polarity of the reversing loop based on the position of a turnout or “throat “ to following tracks. The fast acting  relay takes the place of a sometimes finicky (and expensive) AR controller. 
You provide the relay. You figure out how to selectively turn it on/off depending on the position of the throw bar of the turnout. 
Allan shows how to do this on his website using a 12Vdc relay and a diode with the relay coil wired from a Tortoise or other stall type reversible   turnout motor. The relay provides a fast polarity switch and greater amp capacity than other ‘slide switch’ mechanisms. 

DonV 

john

Could you be talking about automating a reverse loop or using occupancy to throw an approached switch.

At my club (Crossroads Rail Road Club, Vandalia, Ohio), i automated two switches (Tortoise) one at the end of a single track reverse loop and one at the end of a double main to a single track through a yard. The project started with a purchased timer relay that is activated with a DIY light detector and a DPDT relay to throw the switches restart the timer every time a gap between cars passes over the light sensor and an additional 30 seconds after the train passes. 

Since i built the circuit i have found light detectors and relay modules for cheap on line making DIY unnecessary. These module could be put in configurations that automate your imagination or just throw a switch when it is approached.

jd

On Sunday, April 11, 2021, 09:35:13 AM EDT, Don Vollrath <donevol43@...> wrote:

A throat controlled relay is  a DPDT relay used to set the polarity of the reversing loop based on the position of a turnout or “throat “ to following tracks. The fast acting  relay takes the place of a sometimes finicky (and expensive) AR controller. 
You provide the relay. You figure out how to selectively turn it on/off depending on the position of the throw bar of the turnout. 
Allan shows how to do this on his website using a 12Vdc relay and a diode with the relay coil wired from a Tortoise or other stall type reversible   turnout motor. The relay provides a fast polarity switch and greater amp capacity than other ‘slide switch’ mechanisms. 

DonV 

Tim Tedrow

Got it.

Thanks,
Tim