Remote control of boosters, etc.

Peter Ely

Another option I’ve used wiring some clubs are delay timers on the AC side. More expensive than Robin’s and the other solutions but perhaps simpler depending on your skills. Of course these are on the more dangerous 120VAC side. ~$15  each . I’ve used items like these for individual boosters, or full nodes, depending on requirements and current capacity.

These are transparent to the user and basically when the AC is turned on, these wait a set amount of time before passing the AC through to the device(s).

Examples

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5KH30I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SXB66IS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers, Peter

thomasmclae

The Club layout has a master timer on the layout power supply. All layout electronics, light power converters, Arduinos, etc. on same circuit.
Push button, cycles through 2,3,8,12 hour timeouts.
Layout JMRI PC is on UPS, also on same timer circuit. When powering off, UPS lets computer do controlled power down.
User friendly for club members. Only one timer to turn on. No muss, no fuss.
Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Robin Becker

Blair,

Sounds like a nice project. I've been using cheap ebay TC12000 12v delay relay boards, with In+ connected to Loconet Pin 1 and In- connected to Loconet Pin 2. The boards have a built-in diode on the input so I just add a 10 uF filter cap after the diode to create DC power for the circuit. Downside is that the board draws about 35 mA Railsync when the relay is energized.

Robin

Robin Becker
San Diego, CA

http://drgw.n3ix.com

I've built a small detector circuit which detects Railsync on the Loconet cable and, after a programmable delay, energises a relay. That relay turns on my booster at the far end of the basement. A second such circuit enables my collection of UR91/92 and LNWI wireless interfaces mounted at ceiling level in my train room. So, now nothing powers up until my DCS240 is up and "alive". So far this is working quite well. Why did I do this? I disliked having various items scattered around the room that were powered even when I had no intention of running trains.

Comments?

Blair

Blair