Wiring Up a Manual Turntable?

John White

Jerry
I just uploaded several files with some instructions for powering the Heljan/Walthers 90 ft turntable plus some others of the turntable. I have mine powered with the wipers as shown. Although my turntable goes back to 1970's or 80's & it works fine. Contact me if you need too. Hope it helps.
John

wirefordcc

Hi Bill,

My next column in Model Railroader, which should arrive in everyone's mail box in the next couple of days, is on reversing.  I think I addressed your issues there and will also be adding content to my website as a result.

I find it a real challenge to fit things into two pages of the magazine.  So my website will continue to provide any additional details I need to discuss.

Thanks and keep those ideas coming!

Allan

Steve Hubbard

On my Bowser 130’ Turntable I used the ring rail for one bridge conductor and the bridge shaft for the other conductor.  The shaft utilizes a 5/16”’ thick X  ¼ ID X ½” OD brass setscrew collar and a commutator style wiper.  Then I used an NCE decoder to drive the Turntable motor.  A DCC specialty’s AR for polarity control.  I would refrain from using a pair of wires that will be twisted CW and CCW as eventually they will break and to keep track of when to reverse direction will be a PITA and will get old quick, just sayin.. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dave Emery

I wonder if it’s easier to explain reversing loops first, or turntables first?

dave

Jerry Breon

I am also to the point where I need to select a wiring method for my Diamond Scale 120' HO turntable. I use NCE DCC and will include a DCC reverser of some description (likely a DCC Specialties OnGuard AR) for the turntable bridge track. I'm not sure that I want to rely on the ring rail for power conductivity and certainly don't want to get into the delicacy of conducting power thru the overhead arch structure. My installation is further complicated by a NYRS PTC actuator motor connected to the base of the rotating turntable bridge shaft so wires to the bridge rails will need to enter thru the side of the rotating shaft. My wiring options seem to be fabricating dual insulated wipers located on the shaft just above the NYRS motor and sending two wires up thru the drilled out shaft to the bridge rails OR foregoing the wipers and just sending two wires up thru the drilled out shaft and looping enough flexible slack beneath the turntable to allow the wires to wind up with rotation in one direction and unwind with rotation in the opposite direction. This would by far be the most simple and conductively reliable method, and I may give it a try before moving on with the more complicated wiper design. I would add that I am a lone operator and therefor can easily monitor the wind up status of the bridge wiring beneath the turntable.
Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on this plan?
Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

D B

Allen,

When you discuss reversing phase/polarity segments and use of auto-reverse devices in an article, I suggest you discuss WHY a reversing segment must be longer than one’s longest train. Not too long ago I was a total newbie, and often saw that rule recited (including in universally respected websites). But I didn’t see a cogent (and non-technical) explanation for that rule, or similarly, a clear and concise explanation why two reversing segments cannot be connected to one another.

I figured out the reasons underlying both those rules after giving the issue considerable thought (because frankly I did not intuitively understand “why”). In retrospect my failure to understand was influenced by my (mistaken) “forward-looking” focus on how an AR device switched phase/polarity of the reversing segment as the front wheels of the engine passed from the reversing segment to the non-reversing “mainline.” Coming from the world of DC, I was amazed at the prospect of auto-reversing and simply failed to consider what was going on at the rear of the train as the phase/polarity of the reversing segment switched based on what was happening at the front of the train.

Once I began to look “both ways,” and to consider both front and rear consequences of a change in phase/polarity, the underlying rationale for both rules came into sharp focus. That in turn led to an understanding of the relationship of the AR segment to the segments to which it is directly connected and an appreciation of why two reversing segments cannot be directly connected to one another.

Bill D
N&W Steam Only

On Feb 22, 2021, at 9:10 AM, wirefordcc <bigboy@wiringfordcc.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

I should have said, keep those ideas coming! The one scary thing I worry about is running out of ideas for my column. I scan my Q&A forum, as well as some of the other forums for ideas. So far, so good.

Thanks!

Allan Gartner

-----Original Message-----
From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Emery via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 2:57 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Wiring Up a Manual Turntable?

Alan, I think ‘wiring a turntable for DCC’ would make a great MR column.

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Dave,

I should have said, keep those ideas coming! The one scary thing I worry about is running out of ideas for my column. I scan my Q&A forum, as well as some of the other forums for ideas. So far, so good.

Thanks!

Allan Gartner

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Emery via groups.io

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Dave,

I have already had that thought! 😊

Allan

dave

Dave Emery

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Brian,

I see I already have another question from you.  So I already have your city and state.  Just let me know it is okay to use your turntable question.  Thanks for being a regular reader of the Q&A forum!

Allan Gartner

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Eiland via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 8:26 AM
Subject: [w4dccqa] Wiring Up a Manual Turntable?

What is the most simply manner to wire up Diamond Scale turntable for DCC train operations. The turntable itself will NOT be indexing, nor powered in its turning,...just simple manual rotation?

I suppose one power lead still needs to come in thru the tower on the bridge, while the other comes thru the circular track in the pit? And I assume this circular track does NOT have to be segmented as there are dual contact wheels at both ends of the bridge?

There will be 3 powered tracks coming into the turntable, and all the remaining tracks (approx 8) will be storage tracks,.... that I would wish to be dead until the bridge is selecting them.

What I thought I would do is just remember what end of the turntable bridge is pointed at ANY of the tracks,...for instance the end with the bridge house on it. Wire all the connecting tracks to be compatible with that end . Then flip a toggle switch the opposite way if that end is not aligned with the access track you are connecting to,...(double pole, double throw toggle switch should handle the two wires,...one to pit rail, one to bridge tower,...just reverse the polarity of the two bridge tracks.

The locomotive sitting on the bridge track won't care about the polarity change (in DCC mode), just like a reverser does automatically?

Is a AR auto reverser really necessary to reverse the polarity of the bridge track,...without the loco going thru a restart??

Brian

wirefordcc

Hi Brian,

See my website for turntable wiring at:

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a44

There are couple of ways to get power to a turntable bridge.  If you don't split the rim rail, you can apply power with one wire to the rim rail and another to the center post.

You can also apply power to the arch over the bridge.  But that is a little delicate and so a bit more challenging to do.

I had two Diamond Scale turntables.  One, I used the rim rail and the center post.  The other, I used the rim rail and the overhead arch.  On both of them I used automatic reverse section controllers (ARSC) to provide the track power to the bridge with the proper polarity.

If you don't split the rim rail, you will need a way to reverse the polarity to the bridge if you will fully rotate it.  An ARSC, as made by DCC Specialties, NCE, or Digitrax, will do the trick.  If you want to do it on the cheap, you can use a Double Pole Double Throw toggle switch.

You can also split the rim rail.  If you do this, you won't need the ARSC, but you will have a dead zone where the split occurs.  This seems like a good idea, but the rim rail is somewhat springy and so it is challenging to get it to go precisely where you want it.  Since you will be rotating by hand, you can tolerate a little difficulty in smooth rotation at the split.

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

Brian Eiland

What is the most simply manner to wire up Diamond Scale turntable for DCC train operations. The turntable itself will NOT be indexing, nor powered in its turning,...just simple manual rotation?

I suppose one power lead still needs to come in thru the tower on the bridge, while the other comes thru the circular track in the pit? And I assume this circular track does NOT have to be segmented as there are dual contact wheels at both ends of the bridge?

There will be 3 powered tracks coming into the turntable, and all the remaining tracks (approx 8) will be storage tracks,.... that I would wish to be dead until the bridge is selecting them.

What I thought I would do is just remember what end of the turntable bridge is pointed at ANY of the tracks,...for instance the end with the bridge house on it. Wire all the connecting tracks to be compatible with that end . Then flip a toggle switch the opposite way if that end is not aligned with the access track you are connecting to,...(double pole, double throw toggle switch should handle the two wires,...one to pit rail, one to bridge tower,...just reverse the polarity of the two bridge tracks.

The locomotive sitting on the bridge track won't care about the polarity change (in DCC mode), just like a reverser does automatically?

Is a AR auto reverser really necessary to reverse the polarity of the bridge track,...without the loco going thru a restart??

Brian