Wiring Up a Manual Turntable?

John White

Jerry
I just uploaded several files with some instructions for powering the Heljan/Walthers 90 ft turntable plus some others of the turntable. I have mine powered with the wipers as shown. Although my turntable goes back to 1970's or 80's & it works fine. Contact me if you need too. Hope it helps.
John

wirefordcc

Hi Bill,

My next column in Model Railroader, which should arrive in everyone's mail box in the next couple of days, is on reversing.  I think I addressed your issues there and will also be adding content to my website as a result.

I find it a real challenge to fit things into two pages of the magazine.  So my website will continue to provide any additional details I need to discuss.

Thanks and keep those ideas coming!

Allan

Steve Hubbard

On my Bowser 130’ Turntable I used the ring rail for one bridge conductor and the bridge shaft for the other conductor.  The shaft utilizes a 5/16”’ thick X  ¼ ID X ½” OD brass setscrew collar and a commutator style wiper.  Then I used an NCE decoder to drive the Turntable motor.  A DCC specialty’s AR for polarity control.  I would refrain from using a pair of wires that will be twisted CW and CCW as eventually they will break and to keep track of when to reverse direction will be a PITA and will get old quick, just sayin..

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dave Emery

I wonder if it’s easier to explain reversing loops first, or turntables first?

dave

Jerry Breon

I am also to the point where I need to select a wiring method for my Diamond Scale 120' HO turntable. I use NCE DCC and will include a DCC reverser of some description (likely a DCC Specialties OnGuard AR) for the turntable bridge track. I'm not sure that I want to rely on the ring rail for power conductivity and certainly don't want to get into the delicacy of conducting power thru the overhead arch structure. My installation is further complicated by a NYRS PTC actuator motor connected to the base of the rotating turntable bridge shaft so wires to the bridge rails will need to enter thru the side of the rotating shaft. My wiring options seem to be fabricating dual insulated wipers located on the shaft just above the NYRS motor and sending two wires up thru the drilled out shaft to the bridge rails OR foregoing the wipers and just sending two wires up thru the drilled out shaft and looping enough flexible slack beneath the turntable to allow the wires to wind up with rotation in one direction and unwind with rotation in the opposite direction. This would by far be the most simple and conductively reliable method, and I may give it a try before moving on with the more complicated wiper design. I would add that I am a lone operator and therefor can easily monitor the wind up status of the bridge wiring beneath the turntable.
Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on this plan?
Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

D B

Allen,

When you discuss reversing phase/polarity segments and use of auto-reverse devices in an article, I suggest you discuss WHY a reversing segment must be longer than one’s longest train. Not too long ago I was a total newbie, and often saw that rule recited (including in universally respected websites). But I didn’t see a cogent (and non-technical) explanation for that rule, or similarly, a clear and concise explanation why two reversing segments cannot be connected to one another.

I figured out the reasons underlying both those rules after giving the issue considerable thought (because frankly I did not intuitively understand “why”). In retrospect my failure to understand was influenced by my (mistaken) “forward-looking” focus on how an AR device switched phase/polarity of the reversing segment as the front wheels of the engine passed from the reversing segment to the non-reversing “mainline.” Coming from the world of DC, I was amazed at the prospect of auto-reversing and simply failed to consider what was going on at the rear of the train as the phase/polarity of the reversing segment switched based on what was happening at the front of the train.

Once I began to look “both ways,” and to consider both front and rear consequences of a change in phase/polarity, the underlying rationale for both rules came into sharp focus. That in turn led to an understanding of the relationship of the AR segment to the segments to which it is directly connected and an appreciation of why two reversing segments cannot be directly connected to one another.

Bill D
N&W Steam Only

On Feb 22, 2021, at 9:10 AM, wirefordcc <bigboy@wiringfordcc.com> wrote:

Hi Dave,

I should have said, keep those ideas coming! The one scary thing I worry about is running out of ideas for my column. I scan my Q&A forum, as well as some of the other forums for ideas. So far, so good.

Thanks!

Allan Gartner

Alan, I think ‘wiring a turntable for DCC’ would make a great MR column.

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Dave,

I have already had that thought! 😊

Allan

Alan, I think ‘wiring a turntable for DCC’ would make a great MR column.

dave

Dave Emery

Alan, I think ‘wiring a turntable for DCC’ would make a great MR column.

dave

wirefordcc

Hi Brian,

I see I already have another question from you.  So I already have your city and state.  Just let me know it is okay to use your turntable question.  Thanks for being a regular reader of the Q&A forum!

Allan Gartner