Wiring Peco Electrofrog - Tortoises - Occupancy Detectors

Bruce Kingsley

I've wired my Peco Electrofrog turn-outs with Tortoises per the "Peco Turnout" page and they work great. The part I'm struggling with is rule of thumb for the connections of the multiple track feeder sources when using Occupancy Detectors (BDL168). On areas where the track is a dead end, the detection is correct. But when used in a siding for example, I get multiple dictions due to the turnout wiring connecting adjoining occupancy blocks on either end.

wirefordcc

Hi Bruce,

Can you upload a sketch of a trouble spot and how you have it wired?  It sounds like you have a few places that need insulated joiners/gaps.

Allan
Wiring for DCC

Tim

If you are doing CTC controlled sidings, the turnout (and short sections of track around it) is called an "OS Section" and should be its own, very small signal block, no connected to the main track or the siding on either side of it.

Tim Rumph
Lancaster, SC

Bruce Kingsley

I didn’t see an option to include pictures in posts.

Regards,
Bruce Kingsley
Yakima WA

Pro

On Feb 19, 2021, at 7:08 AM, wirefordcc <bigboy@...> wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Can you upload a sketch of a trouble spot and how you have it wired?  It sounds like you have a few places that need insulated joiners/gaps.

Allan
Wiring for DCC

wirefordcc

Photos and files have to be uploaded separately from the post.  Look down the menu on the left side for uploading a photo or file.  Just let us know where you put it and what you called it.

Bruce Kingsley

Placed photo in Brucek5

The post Tim Rumph gave me a thought. I'm using detection for software automation and only want to know if a locomotive is in a section of track. I could isolate the turnouts and have them powered by all together by a non-detected source. Then on all tracks that lead to and exit the turnouts cut all rails and feed them a detection source.

Don Vollrath

Bruce, you need to add rail isolators at the exit end of the frog rails and to detect occupancy of siding tracks separately from that of turnout. Also if you do not also isolate the stock rails as they leave the turnout be sure that the detectors of the isolated stub or siding are sensing current on the frog rail extensions.

DonV

Oz Paul

If you plan to use a software like Train controller for automatic scheduling, it is not necessary to have detection on turnouts.

 If a TC schedule has set a route through the turnout, it will be unavailable to any other schedule until the route has cleared.