From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Boyle
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2021 9:02 PM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: [w4dccqa] Limits for using 14 AWG for track bus

I want to use 14 AWG for my track bus because it simplifies the installation process by allowing me to use 3M 905 IDCs. From the booster there will be two 30' runs. Am I just asking for trouble by using the 14AWG?
Thank you,
Michael Boyle

Bill Wilken

I accidentally (don’t ask) used 14 AWG stranded on one power district that is roughly 30 feet long.  It worked fine for trains but it was not robust enough to carry DCC commands to Smail switch motors.

On Feb 15, 2021, at 12:01 AM, Michael Boyle via groups.io <boyle10017@...> wrote:

I want to use 14 AWG for my track bus because it simplifies the installation process by allowing me to use 3M 905 IDCs. From the booster there will be two 30' runs. Am I just asking for trouble by using the 14AWG?
Thank you,
Michael Boyle

Don Vollrath

14 AWG is adequate for 5 amp DCC systems N or HO and probably S scales .
Bill, if your Smails don’t work... add an RC snubber.

DonV

Keith Elrod

3M's Brown (#567) IDC's work with 12g. You could then use a 12g buss (I use only solid wire) and come off of that with 14g feeding terminal blocks.