Unknown Programming Mode

Eric Osborne

Decoder Pro is locked up displaying the YELLOW Icon. I cannot toggle the Power Icon to GREEN or RED.

Background: Powered up Arduino DCC+ Controller, Connected USB to laptop & Opened DPro. Started WiThrottle. Start remote throttle TCS UWT-100. Selected loco 1439 Kato E-8/9 with TCS KOD8-E installed.  Travels the entire Track C loop, and up the RH side of the Track B ramp up to the bridge. Stopped when it lost power at bridge join (bridge only set in place).  Loco re-aligned back on track. Started downhill. Light non-responsive. Then Throttle non-responsive as loco continued moving.  Had to kill power at powerstrip twice to get it to stopped. Stepped away and UWT lost wifi.  Reconnected, but non-responsive. DPro Toggled to RED.  Attempted to Toggle GREEN, but resulted in YELLOW. Re-started DPro. Power Icon still YELLOW. Would not toggle GREEN. Exited DPro.  Pushed Reset on Controller board.  Open DPro. Still locked on YELLOW Icon. Exited DPro. Disconnected USB. Cycled Power. Same result.  Did Factory Reset on UWT-100. Submenu says "7 Track Power: UNKOWN." Attempted multiple laptop and power reboots, resets to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eric O.

Jim Betz

Eric,
  Try unplugging cables to the USB (both of them), powering everything down.
power all up one at a time, connect cables to USB, launch Dpro.
                                                                                                               - Jim

Eric Osborne

Jim,

The DCC controller has two boards: 1) a lower UNO board with a USB connection and a power adapter connection, and 2) an upper Motor Shield board with a single power adapter connection.  The upper board is attached to the lower board by a number of pin connections. I have tried every combination of powering up and resetting each board before connecting the USB to my laptop. No joy.  I also tried to read from the loco encoder and write to it.  Both times I got the timeout error 306.

The LEDs on the Motor Shield did not come on the entire time which may be a clue.  I verified that power is reaching the board. The UNO board does light up when powered.

I looked for a battery back-up on each board, but did not find one so I assume the memory is cleared when powered down.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 8:43 AM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:
Eric,
  Try unplugging cables to the USB (both of them), powering everything down.
power all up one at a time, connect cables to USB, launch Dpro.
                                                                                                               - Jim

Jim Betz

Eric,
  I'm sorry - I thought you were using an NCE USB board.  If this is some
kind of Arduino set up (seems like it from your response) then I'm clueless
how to help you because I've only 'played around' with the Arduinos and
am -not- trained on anything electronics.
                                                                                                - Jim

Jim Betz

Eric,
  I suggest you might find better help for this kind of stuff on either the
JMRIusers or the LCC groups.io groups.  I think you are going to need
someone who understands DCC, Arduino, and USB at the hardware
level - and software as well.
                                                                                      - Jim

Eric Osborne

Jim,

I joined the JRMIusers group.  Those are DEEP waters! :  )  Reading the steady stream of e-mail made me think real hard about springing for a serious base unit ($$$) without the need to be an expert in programming.  But I got sticker shock.  Arduino cards are really cheap ($10-20), and I started to think that I had smoked one of them.

I started researching how to assembly an Arduino controller assuming I would have to swap in a new board.  I watched a video on how to do it, and the author was using DCC++Ex software rather than Decoder Pro.  I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to set up the controller with the current suspect board using DCC++Ex.  The controller came back to life!  A few days later I tried Decoder Pro again, and it now recognizes the controller.  Woohoo!

Maybe someone else can benefit from this solution.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:
Eric,
  I suggest you might find better help for this kind of stuff on either the
JMRIusers or the LCC groups.io groups.  I think you are going to need
someone who understands DCC, Arduino, and USB at the hardware
level - and software as well.
                                                                                      - Jim
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#12461) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [erico20430@...]

JoAnn Donaldson

I have a digitrax PR4 and use it with JRMI and DecorderPro running on an LINUX laptop. I have had No problems and it is super fast.

JoAnn Donaldson