Yard track wiring - DCC

Tom Anderson

Hello all,
I am adding a 6 track yard to my layout and I would like to be able to individually kill the DCC voltage to each of the tracks with a simple off/on switch mounted on a panel attached to the layout fascia.

Additionally, I would like to have a two color LED (red/green) to indicate the status of the track.

I understand the simple off/on scenario but I don't know what I need to do to add/wire the LED's on the panel.

Electronics is not my thing so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Wil Davis

The simple solution would be to use a double pole, double throw toggle.  There are three contacts on each side, connect the incoming track power to the bottom contact on one side and the center to the track you want to power.  That way when the toggle is in the up position the track is energized.  On the other three contacts connect the center contact to DC minus power to the center and connect the short lead of the red and green LEDs to the upper and lower contacts.  In the example above if you want green when power is connected to the track, connect the short lead of the green LED to the bottom contact, so that it will illuminate when the track is energized the green LED will be illuminated, and connect the red LED to the upper contact.  The other two leads on the LEDs can be tied together and connected to plus DC power. Make sure you attached at least a 470 ohm resistor to one lead of each LED, otherwise they will be miniature flashbulbs, unless you are using a very low voltage.

I have to go do my chores, but if you have any questions email me direct and I can help you with this.  I have wired many of these for a friends layout and others.  I am not the guy for LCC, but I have a fair amount of experience with DC and DCC layout wiring.

Wil Davis

george hohon3

Why use a bi-color LED at all????  One color will do nicely.  When it's "on" the track is powered, and when it's "off" there is obviously no power to the track.

LG
in San Luiis Obispo