Topics

Help with wiring a reverse loop

wirefordcc

Hi Nick,

I recognized your layout when I pulled up your photos.  Where exactly is PM-42 being used?  Given the complexity of your layout, maybe you could upload a drawing with the track controlled by the PM-42 highlighted.

Have you seen my webpage on Kato turnouts?  IT is located at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_kato.htm

I'm not promising I'll have a solution for you, but I'll try.  I will at least make sure you have nothing obviously wrong with your implementation.

I had a problem with a PM-42 that as I recall, sounds similar to what is happening to you.  It was probably 10 or so years ago, so my memory is foggy.  Digitrax wasn't able to help at the time.

Allan
Wiring for DCC

Nick Nelson

Allen,
I uploaded the layout back in April, i have two pics of it, one with my initial layout and a second with the plan i went with.    I am using powered Kato turnouts.
https://groups.io/g/w4dccqa/album?id=245012

wirefordcc

Hi Nick,

You mention a reversing loop, but you also talk about three turnouts.  Are you using a wye?  It may be helpful if you post a diagram of your layout or at least the portion with the reversing problem.

It has been a while since I used a PM42, but I do recall having a problem similar to what you describe.  I couldn't get it to stop, so I started using a different auto reverser and the problem went away.

Are you using powered or dead frogs on your turnouts?  Whose turnouts are you using?

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Nick Nelson

I have the layout fully wired finally, and it seems like it is working for the most part but want to make sure what i am hearing and seeing is normal.  I am running a Digitrax Chief, with an old Zephry booster and using a PM42 as my auto reverser.  For 90% of the layout things are running find it seems, but in the auto reversing section, i seem to be shorting out at 2 of the three turnouts.  The shorts seem to be quick and self correcting, so i assume that is what the auto reverser is suppose to do.  I hear a quick beep, from my control system and then the train restarts.  i have not placed a large train on the layout yet, mostly just the engine and 2-3 cars.  This happens with both just the engine as well as when the cars are on.  I do have one more thing going on somewhere else but have not pinpointed it yet, as it has only happened once or twice on a double crossover.  Thanks for the help so far.  If someone needs to see my layout again, these two shorts occur at the top and bottom turnout in the oval that is broken off at the wye.  If what i am experiencing is correct, cool, i just wanted to make sure, as i am a wiring novice at best still.
Nick

Nick Nelson

I really appreciate all of the feedback, as this is my first attempt at wiring everything and like I always do, I don't go simple.  I think I understand the wye now, I updated my photo with my understanding of what everyone said.  Please let me know if I am on the right track.
Thanks again
Nick

wirefordcc

Hi Nick,

Unless I missed something, the problem isn't the loop; it is the wye.  You have a couple of simple options.

1.  Make the loop and most of the wye, part of your auto reverse section. The turnout on the right would not be part of the auto reverse section.

2.  You could use a relay attached to the turnout on the right of the wye that will reverse the polarity of the rest of the reverse section.

See my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#c3  Wye diagram "B" is the closest one to your situation.  I show the two tracks going into the wye as green/blue can be shorter to the point that only the turnout in green/blue needs to be not reversing.  The part shown in red/black would be your reversing section.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Carl

Hello Nick:

To me it looks like the upper left side of the Wye could be the reversing section. Only trains crossing this area can reverse direction.

Pick a point above the Wye and call it "center". Then think of trains circling CW or CWW around this point. Actually with your Wye once a train changes from CW to CCW there isn't a way to reverse to CW without backing up.

Carl.

On 4/12/2020 8:26 PM, Nick Nelson via groups.io wrote:
I have a internal loop that can cause several reverse.  I am looking for some assistance with where to set my auto reverser as well as insulated.  I have uploaded my layout in the photos under Nicks Layout.  The issue in question is the inner loop on the left side.
Thanks
Nick

Nick Nelson