Topics

Snubbers

Mark Gurries

If you want to go deeper on snubbers….go here.

https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/dcc-general-best-practices/wiring-planing/snubbers-rc-filter <https://sites.google.com/site/markgurries/home/dcc-general-best-practices/wiring-planing/snubbers-rc-filter>

On Mar 18, 2020, at 7:18 AM, Jerry Kramer <jkramer328@...> wrote:

No one has explained what snubbers are since this thread started.
Looks like I don't need them since my layout runs perfectly without them.
Sounds like people here like to make things complicated.
I run a double level layout with 28" high helix on DCC equipped KATO Unitrack with MRC Advanced Squared2 power. I usually run 3 to 5 engines at a time with no problems.
Jerry Kramer
Willamette Regional Railway

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

george hohon3

I shouldn't laugh when people trip and fall down when they aren't watching where they're going, but I do.  I do the same thing when someone buys something for their railroad that will do "A" and then they try to make it do "A+1" and when it doesn't, they run back to the manufacturer or web sites like this one and ask for answers and fixes, or just to make complaints that the product "A" is crappie.

I know I shouldn't be laughing at you, but when you exceed the performance standard of the device, it's your fault and I do laugh.  And it seems like I'm laughing more than usual lately.

LG

"Sounds like people here like to make things complicated."

No, people here give a lot of their time and put in a lot of effort to solve problems others encounter. The "I do not have this problem so it must be a myth" school of thought may work for you now, but if you make changes to your railway in the future and encounter strange behaviour (you may or may not) have a look back here.

The extremely cheap and simple electronic devices called snubbers (google "dcc snubbers" if you ever get interested, and you'll probably find Mark Gurries' topic on his invaluable site listed first) ensure that the digital signal put out by the command station or booster does not get damaged by incorrect (dcc bus) line termination, which an open end unfortunately invariably is. The longer the bus run, the more likely complications arise. Feel free to ignore. But being disparaging isn't helpful to anyone.

Wouter

On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 at 14:15, Jerry Kramer <jkramer328@...> wrote:

No one has explained what snubbers are since this thread started.
Looks like I don't need them since my layout runs perfectly without them.
Sounds like people here like to make things complicated.
I run a double level layout with 28" high helix on DCC equipped KATO Unitrack with MRC Advanced Squared2 power. I usually run 3 to 5 engines at a time with no problems.
Jerry Kramer
Willamette Regional Railway

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

whmvd

Jerry,

[...]

wirefordcc

Hi Jerry,

If you want to know what a snubber is, visit my website at:  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a47

Allan Gartner
Wiring for DCC

mgj21932

Yup. You got it Dale.

Allan’s information is incredibly informative.

That said, the exchange on this group is most enjoyable — especially as we isolate in place.

Bill D

On Mar 18, 2020, at 11:46 AM, Dale Gloer <dale.gloer@...> wrote:

The wiring for DCC website answers all your questions about snubbers.  Here  is the link
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a47

They are only needed in situations where you have a long track bus - long being generally more than 30 feet.  If your layout is running fine without any snubbers then you don't need one!

Dale Gloer
Layout Supervisor, Southern Alberta Model Railway Club

Dale Gloer

The wiring for DCC website answers all your questions about snubbers.  Here  is the link
http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a47

They are only needed in situations where you have a long track bus - long being generally more than 30 feet.  If your layout is running fine without any snubbers then you don't need one!

Dale Gloer
Layout Supervisor, Southern Alberta Model Railway Club

mgj21932

Jerry,
Of course this group makes things complicated. That’s part of the fun of the hobby. Always another issue/problem to be challenged by. And solve/address. Hence complications. Snubbers seem to fall into the category of a solution to a particular problem (very long power bus runs) that have been seized upon in situations where they aren’t required. Leading to lots of complications as other considerations (e.g., location of block detectors, etc.) must be taken into account.

Sounds like your adherence to KISS has been the right answer. I hope I can achieve running results as successful as those of the Willamette Regional Railroad. I too avoid snubbers as unnecessary for my layout.

Best,
Bill D