Topics

Differentiating bus wires?

Jerry Michels

Sure, using a magic marker to put a color stripe on white wires would work fine.  Jerry Michels

General

I don't know if this would apply but if the wire insulation is white, buy a set of permanent magic markers, cut a slot in the end of whichever color marker you want to use and slide the marker on the wire repeatedly until the wire is colored.

whmvd

Same here. Also love the naming convention that automatically allows for sorting in date order. I've done it like that for decades, but hardly ever see it elsewhere.

Wouter

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 14:48, David McBrayer <d_mcbrayer@...> wrote:
Jerry,
Great meeting another Doc’s geek.

Dave

On Mar 9, 2020, at 06:54, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,  Each time I do an update, I save the file with a date, for example, DCC Main Wiring 2020-01-27.xlsx. So that takes care of having previous version available.  I am a geek on this type of documentation.  In addition to the backups on various computers here in Amarillo, the files are backed up in the cloud.  I think we are rock solid. We also do this with things like our rolling stock and locomotive rosters, photos, and correspondence.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

David McBrayer

[...]

Carl

Hi Gang:

Perhaps if you added a column for revision notes and the date changes were made. Also in Excel you can have a cell with today's date that will print.

Carl.

On 3/8/2020 1:46 PM, David McBrayer wrote:
Jerry,
Having multiple computers storing the File is a decent way to prevent loss of data.  My mind jumped to loss of sync between them at some point down the road.  Do you revise the displayed version date with each update?  That way you could also have a history of updates should you desire.

—Dave McBrayer

On Mar 8, 2020, at 09:16, Jerry Michels <gjmichels53@...> wrote:

John wrote: Jerry,
Just don't throw out the documentation after you label your wiring. Keep it and keep it updated.

You bet.  We have all the documentation in an Excel file and stored on multiple computers.  I routinely print it out and post it on our corkboard at the control center.
Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

--
[...]

You can really look at the Brother P-tab labels as permanent tags.

Jerry Michels

John wrote: Jerry,

Just don't throw out the documentation after you label your wiring. Keep it and keep it updated.

You bet.  We have all the documentation in an Excel file and stored on multiple computers.  I routinely print it out and post it on our corkboard at the control center.
Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

Greg Harter

Re:  Twisting bus wires--

We have a large HO layout built mostly with 4x8' tables; track bus runs between the tables with 12 conductor nylon connectors.  Each connector socket contains two pair of 12 gauge track bus and 8 other, smaller gauge wires for Tortoise power, 12V and 1.5V accessory bus pairs.  Between the sockets for each table (male and female) run the wires.  The two sets of track bus are twisted pairs, right next to each other.  We have terminators at the end of each track bus run.  We have never had a problem with the system (NCE).  We routinely switch between DC and DCC on the four mainlines.

The track bus is twisted 8 turns per 8' table--each pair is twisted in the opposite direction so it doesn't bind up.  Two mainlines upper, two mainlines lower, helix between--it works pretty well!

Greg Harter
Columbus (Indiana) Area Railroad Club

John Melvin

Well said. I type the info then put 3-4 spaces then type the info again. Remove the backing, center the label on the wire, wrap and stick together. Then you have a tab large enough, easily read, with info on both sides.

John
El Paso

In a message dated 3/7/2020 11:23:49 Mountain Standard Time, elrodk73@... writes:

Brother P-touch label maker. They are laminated. Permanent, but easily removed. I've used them for years. Also valuable are the Dymo thermal printer labels, available in different sizes.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020, 1:16 PM David McBrayer <d_mcbrayer@...> wrote:
Rich,
why labels?  To cross reference a panel/terminal block/given wire/bundle of wires/etc. with the layout documentation.  The adhesive lasts much longer than paper labels.   Follow this link for more inf.: https://www.brother-usa.com/home/label-printers/makers

Dave McBrayer

On Mar 7, 2020, at 09:47, Rich Randall via Groups.Io <RRand4449=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What are Brother labels, and why good for model railroad?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Vincent Ficca

Hi Dave:

I use different color wire for different application on the RR.  Example:  for mainline, common rail would be white, while different tracks on the mainline rail would be Black for #1, Red for #2, Yellow for #3 and Brown for #4.  Minimize error when I solder the drops to the bus wires. That's my 2 cents worth.

Vince

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 2:19 PM Dave Emery via Groups.Io <deemery=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have some nice heavy (14 gauge) wire that I’m using for bus wires.  The current plan is that the HO standard gauge will be DCC, while the HOn30 narrow gauge will, at least for now, be DC only.  Does anyone have any good/clever ideas how to mark the DC-only wires?  My layout is not so big that I’m likely to confuse them, -but- I don’t want to have a temporary Senior Moment when trying to work out a wiring problem down the line.

Thanks in advance!

        dave

John Melvin

Jerry,

Just don't throw out the documentation after you label your wiring. Keep it and keep it updated.

John
El Paso

In a message dated 3/7/2020 07:29:37 Mountain Standard Time, gjmichels53@... writes:

John,  I like the idea of using Brother labels.  A good future project.  We have used Brother labels on our control panel.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

Keith Elrod

On Mar 7, 2020, at 09:47, Rich Randall via Groups.Io <RRand4449@...> wrote:
What are Brother labels, and why good for model railroad?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA_._,_._,_

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

Rich Randall

What are Brother labels, and why good for model railroad?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Modeling The Milwaukee Road
at Avery, ID, in O Scale

The BSME is now on facebook:

John,  I like the idea of using Brother labels.  A good future project.  We have used Brother labels on our control panel.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

Jerry Michels

John,  I like the idea of using Brother labels.  A good future project.  We have used Brother labels on our control panel.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

Jerry Michels

Hey Thomas,  I agree that detailed documentation of bus colors and other wiring is critical.  We use various colored extension cords and colored tape on our layout, and it works really well for troubleshooting. We are pretty well done with wiring the layout, but it sure helped during the process.

Jerry Michels
Amarillo Railroad Museum

thomasmclae

Color code.
Even if you later make all DCC, makes for easier updates or booster wiring.

And DOCUMENT the colors you use.
And stay with the code. Even if you run out of one color (Say Blue) accept the delay to get more wire of that color.

Color code has saved the club layout many times.
Thomas
DeSoto, TX

Puckdropper

Besides using different colors, you can also twist the wires together. You need only about 1-3 twists per foot, it's just tight enough to make a good cable but loose enough to let you easily strip the insulation to make connections.

Twisting the wires has the side benefit of keeping things a little neater. If you happen to get a lot happening in a really small area, neatness helps a lot.

Puckdropper