Craig Zeni
Cary, NC
Despatched from my infernal Android

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 18:02 Max Maginness <m.maginness@...> wrote:

The white and yellow can just be tied together. That will leave the lights on controlled on/off by   F0. However the current capacity will be still limited by the decoder.

max

From: w4dccqa@groups.io <w4dccqa@groups.io> On Behalf Of wirefordcc
Sent: Friday, December 27, 2019 10:53 AM
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Powering turntable and lights

Monty,

I don't think you want to use the headlight (white wire) and rear light (yellow) for your yard and roundhouse lights.  These are tied to the forward and reverse direction of the locomotive.  Both usually can't be on at the same time and as you change direction of your turntable the lights will switch on an off.

For you yard and roundhouse lights, unless you feel compelled to control them with DCC, just wire them up to a switch.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

monty cunningham

DUH !!  I knew that!  Don't know what I was thinking.  Obviously I wasn't.
Thanks
Monty

Max Maginness

The white and yellow can just be tied together. That will leave the lights on controlled on/off by   F0. However the current capacity will be still limited by the decoder.

max

I don't think you want to use the headlight (white wire) and rear light (yellow) for your yard and roundhouse lights.  These are tied to the forward and reverse direction of the locomotive.  Both usually can't be on at the same time and as you change direction of your turntable the lights will switch on an off.

For you yard and roundhouse lights, unless you feel compelled to control them with DCC, just wire them up to a switch.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

wirefordcc

Monty,

I don't think you want to use the headlight (white wire) and rear light (yellow) for your yard and roundhouse lights.  These are tied to the forward and reverse direction of the locomotive.  Both usually can't be on at the same time and as you change direction of your turntable the lights will switch on an off.

For you yard and roundhouse lights, unless you feel compelled to control them with DCC, just wire them up to a switch.

Allan Gartner
Wiring For DCC

Steve Hubbard

I am using an older NCE decoder to run my Bowser turntable motor as it allowed me to control speed. I put a max output cap voltage to the motor for realistic turntable rotation speed. I was playing with momentum to slow start and stop of turntable.  Considered running bridge shack light off decoder however it would require 2 more contact wipers on the bridge mechanism so I opted out..

monty cunningham

I am thinking about using a decoder I pirated out of a Bachmann 2-8-0 to power turntable and to power roundhouse and yard lights.
Thinking I can use the orange and gray wires to power the turntable motor and use the yellow/blue and white/blue to power the yard and roundhouse lights.  Wire the red and black wires directly to the track bus.  Use some nominal address like 999 ?
I have several Evan Designs LEDs that I can use.  Was wondering about wiring them.  Can I use more than one of them on each circuit?  If I can should they be wired in series or parallel?
Good idea or Bad idea?
Thanks
Monty