Topics

MT N scale motor brush cap soldering

Perry A Pollino

Yes i am using default address of 03. I removed the decoder and put it on an ESU decoder tester and nothing there either. So a bad decoder I suppose.  Working on getting warranty waiting to here back from seller. ESU said I need to work through them.
I am working in N scale I tried to clip the contact clips from the board after modifying the board did not work. They did not seem to make good contact.and I was worried about risk of shorting to the frame.
The plug on the new ESU V 5 makes it a bit thicker that the V4. unfortunatly this is y first install and I do not have a v 4 to

On Monday, November 25, 2019, 10:26:54 PM CST, Don Batman <donbatman1952@...> wrote:

are you using 003 as loco address? This is usually default address for
new decoders.
If the motor cap is broken - only motor should be affected. Light and
sound should still work.
proper way to solder motor wires is to leave a little bit of the
terminal sticking off of the actual top cap and solder to that bit and
not directly to the brush cap.
May be easier to get new motor than repair the one you have.

Don Batman

are you using 003 as loco address? This is usually default address for
new decoders.
If the motor cap is broken - only motor should be affected. Light and
sound should still work.
proper way to solder motor wires is to leave a little bit of the
terminal sticking off of the actual top cap and solder to that bit and
not directly to the brush cap.
May be easier to get new motor than repair the one you have.

Perry A Pollino

Folks,
I attempted to do my first N scale decoder install that was not a drop in.
It was a failure.
It is a ESU V5. The first mistake I made was not testing the decoder. so I am not sure if it is my installation or a bad decoder.
I am getting no lights, sound or movement. I have checked for voltage to the decoder with my RR ramp. so pick up is good. I have power to the decoder. Makes me think bad decoder.
However, That is not my reason to write this group.
I tried to solder to the brush cap. I think I may have overheated the cap. I tried high heat fast in an out but, i saw the cap move a bit. hence why I think I may have overheated it.
My question. How to remove a brush cap on Micro trains N scale motor?
If it makes a difference I have the MT FT. I have several I want to do.
Thanks
Perry