Topics

Power Boosters

Obeeone

Thank you, Chuck. That was extremely helpful.

Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 9:03 PM
From: "Chuck" <railfan@...>
To: w4dccqa@groups.io
Subject: Re: [w4dccqa] Power Boosters
You might also take a look at this for a simple add on booster.

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/dccbooster.html

Chuck Filson

On 2019-06-12 8:35 p.m., obeeone@... wrote:
> Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene
> but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters.
> In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or
> Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power
> booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.
> _._,_._,_

Chuck

On 2019-06-12 8:35 p.m., obeeone@... wrote:
Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene
but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters.
In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or
Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power
booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.
_._,_._,_

Jay

Hi!
This may fit the bill.
It works with several manufacturers Command Stations.
It is available in the US from Iron Planet Hobbies.
Here is the MFG website:
https://www.digikeijs.com/en/dr5033-adj-dcc-booster-3-amps.html

Jay

Mark Gurries

On Jun 13, 2019, at 3:55 AM, vincent marino <vmarino2009@...> wrote:

Theorectically you should be able to because all up to date manufacturers use national standards.

No one is following the DCC standards in US.  No one has changed the design of their boosters since they were designed and release well before  the standard came out a long time later.

However if the boosters you're using have any age and considering how tempimental DCC is, I would recommend single source manufacturer for a new layout. Think about it, if you tracking down a problem you're not going to know if it's a short or a manufacturer conflict. I like to say "never enough time (or money) to do it right always enough time to do it over".

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 11:06 PM <obeeone@...> wrote:
Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters. In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

whmvd

Hi Obie-wan,

Even if you get it working technically (and some combinations should be workable), think of the nightmare when you need advice from a manufaturer because one day something doesn't want to play anymore. As soon as you admit to mixing brands, each will point to the other, and you will be left with no help except for the internet (which isn't bad, but having the manufacturer jump ship *is*).

So my response: better not.
Wouter

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 at 04:06, <obeeone@...> wrote:
Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters. In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.

vincent marino

Theorectically you should be able to because all up to date manufacturers use national standards. However if the boosters you're using have any age and considering how tempimental DCC is, I would recommend single source manufacturer for a new layout. Think about it, if you tracking down a problem you're not going to know if it's a short or a manufacturer conflict. I like to say "never enough time (or money) to do it right always enough time to do it over".

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019, 11:06 PM <obeeone@...> wrote:
Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters. In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.

scott toro

Yes you can add Bachmann power boosters I’m not sure about other

On Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 5:35 PM, obeeone@... wrote:

Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters. In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.

dennisedgar7

Hi, I have mixed Lenz and Digitrax.
Just read the instructions.

Dennis

--
Dennis G Edgar
Lead Auditor  133839

ronmerrill69

No, would not be good

On Jun 12, 2019, at 5:35 PM, obeeone@... wrote:

Can anyone help me with this question? I'm re-entering the train scene but I'm asking if I am able to "mix-n-match" brands of power boosters. In other words, say I have an NCE DCC system. Can I add a Bachmann or Digitrax or any other brand as a power booster, or must the power booster be of the same brand system? Can I mix them? Thanx.

Simple Answer: They are not designed to be mixed.  There was no DCC standard covering booster compatibility when the standards were developed.  Although there is a standard today, it is to little to late.

It is possible to mix them.  Some, but is gets complicated, special wiring, rules, not supported by manufactures and your on your own for any consequences.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Obeeone