Topics

Jack Wabbit

David S <docdata3d@...>

Edited

Follow up....  Turns out the firat decoder on the JW board had a defect and could not be renumbered.  A new board is on the way.  Everything else worked great!

David S <docdata3d@...>

I received a private email from a very helpful person who explained what I needed to know  and my test scenario works fine, including being able to move the Tortoise by DCC and by pushbutton! Now, I need to change the ID's fromt the default 1,2,3 & 4 to 9,10,11 & 12. The instructions are very cnfusing and, im my case, no help at all. Anyone know how to program this?

Bill Wilken

I've done the same, with a cheap little 5 volt transformer that powers over 20 turnouts via DBDT micro switches.  In the interest of simplicity, I arranged all of the micro switches so that a throw to the right indicates "straight-through" and a throw to the left indicates "diverging," eliminating the need for any red/green indicator lights.

On 1/28/19 9:55 PM, Rich Randall via Groups.Io wrote:
I use a separate DC power source (bus) for my tortoise controls. The power goes to the toggle switch or other selector to drive the tortoise pins 1 and 8 one way or the other. If you want to use track power, you have to rectify it with diodes and set up some clever toggle arrangement. DCC simply acts like AC power. I think the voltage is too high for a tortoise, so use resistors to knock it down.

I route DCC from the track (as close as possible to the switch) to one of the tortoise relays to change the frog polarity. I have to make sure the right polarity goes to the right pin.

Rich

Rich Randall
Gettysburg, PA

Carl

Hi Gang:

I know it is tempting to use the DCC track power for extra loads. But why would you use a power supply that costs big bucks to do a job a simple wall transformer can? Plus I can't help to think the extra loads get in the way of the DCC signal to the locomotives.

Now there is also an option of LCC to take the signals for non locomotive loads: turnout control and track side signals.

Carl.

On 1/28/2019 9:55 PM, Rich Randall via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I connect JW to track power on a DCC system and it works without a hitch

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:40 PM, David S <docdata3d@...> wrote:

The instructions suggest setting up a test scenario initially. I’m going to do that but it leaves me hanging on the use of DC vs DCC vs DC etc, etc.

On Jan 28, 2019, at 8:28 PM, Bill Wilken <bill.wilken@...> wrote:

David,

You can power your Tortoise machines with a small 5 volt transformer.
The JW documentation is not very user friendly, but if you read it carefully, all the info you need is there.  If you are still uncomfortable, I suggest that you set up a little off-layout testbed with just a transformer, the JW, and one switch machine.

Bill

On Jan 28, 2019, at 4:43 PM, David S <docdata3d@...> wrote:

I posted this on another DCC groups but no answer yet so here it goes again.

I just purchased a Jack Wabbit Quad for Tortoise switch machines and have some questions prior to wiring it up.  I'm emailing with Erick at the place where it was purchased but so far, I'm still not understanding everything I need in know.

The unit can be powered by DCC track voltage or external DC.   The Tortoise switch machines need to DC to operate but need the DCC to get the signal to throw the machine.

So, if the JW is powered by DCC, where does the DC come in for Tortoise throws?  If it is powered by DC, where do the DCC signals come from to tell the Tortoise to switch?

If I powered it with DCC, can I still use the manual pushbuttons to throw the machines or is pushbutton use only for DC power to the JW only?

Thanks,
Dave

David S <docdata3d@...>