Topics

Reversing Loop Controlers

Timothy Holmes
 

HI Folks:

Due to my layout design, I will end up with 3 reversing loops -- 2 are
currently in existence, and right now I am using DPDT toggle switches
to control them -- they work, but ANNOYING. I know there are
automatic units out there from many manufacturers. Im not asking
whats out there, I am asking for RECOMMENDATIONS as to which ones you
like and think work best.

I am running N scale, hopefully eventually 2 - 3 trains at a time,
some with 2 -3 locomotives at a time, I am currently using a NCE
Powercab, which I hope to upgrade to an SB5 soon and eventually radio
control

Thanks for your input

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande

Al Silverstein
 

Tim,

You have a number of choices depending on the construction of your reversing section. If you want automatic phasing then the three most common devices that I am aware of are the DCC Specialties PSX.AR, the MRC AD520 and the Digitrax AR1.

If your reverse section is where the track double backs upon itself like a simple loop and if your turnout point control device as spare DPDT contacts then you
could just wire the contacts of the turnout point control device to handle the power to the rails something like the DPDT toggle switches you use today. Now if you are using a snap action turnout then Atlas you can use the Atlas #260 snap-relay.

Recommendations are just that. The recommendation Is the solution that the person providing the recommendation prefers.

Al Silverstein.

Harlan Boyce
 

I use DCC Speciality PSX.AR. Really good units

Boyce's iPhone

On Jan 2, 2019, at 1:46 PM, Al Silverstein <alsilverstein@...> wrote:

Tim,

You have a number of choices depending on the construction of your reversing section. If you want automatic phasing then the three most common devices that I am aware of are the DCC Specialties PSX.AR, the MRC AD520 and the Digitrax AR1.

If your reverse section is where the track double backs upon itself like a simple loop and if your turnout point control device as spare DPDT contacts then you
could just wire the contacts of the turnout point control device to handle the power to the rails something like the DPDT toggle switches you use today. Now if you are using a snap action turnout then Atlas you can use the Atlas #260 snap-relay.

Recommendations are just that. The recommendation Is the solution that the person providing the recommendation prefers.

Al Silverstein.



Perry A Pollino
 

Tim I have used DCC specialties AR's in the past with success.
They will be used on my new layout as well. (since I have them)
I will be suing Frog juicers for my turnouts. Frog juicers were not around when I started with DCC specialties product. I have read  the Dual frog and Hex frog cancan be used as AR's. I have no experience with them.
Perry

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 12:51:10 PM CST, Timothy Holmes <taholmes160@...> wrote:


HI Folks:

Due to my layout design, I will end up with 3 reversing loops -- 2 are
currently in existence, and right now I am using DPDT toggle switches
to control them -- they work, but ANNOYING.  I know there are
automatic units out there from many manufacturers.  Im not asking
whats out there, I am asking for RECOMMENDATIONS as to which ones you
like and think work best.

I am running N scale, hopefully eventually 2 - 3 trains at a time,
some with 2 -3 locomotives at a time, I am currently using a NCE
Powercab, which I hope to upgrade to an SB5 soon and eventually radio
control

Thanks for your input

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande



 

A potentially cheaper way to do this is to use a 3PDT toggle switch to control a turnout motor and the phase of the reversing loop.  This assumes that there is only one way into and out of the reversing loop.

Best,
Ken Harstine

Ric Zimmerman <zimmermane@...>
 

I agree with Perry.  The PSX-ARs not only reverse the polarity, but also can provide automatic turnout control on a reverse loop, preventing derailing if running through a switch.

RicZ

Dale Gloer
 

Perry,

we are using Dual and Hex Frog Juicers for auto reversing on our club layout and they have been flawless in operation.  We also use a DCC Specialties Hare to automate the switch at the loop entrance which also works very well.  You can set it up to always enter in the same direction or enter in the last exit direction.

Dale Gloer
Layout Supervisor, Southern Alberta Model Railway Club

Mark Gurries
 

The also include a DCC circuit breaker function unlike all the other Autoreversing devices available.  So it can not only take care of both reverse polarity problem but also any shorts that occurs inside the reversing section of track.  If you reversing section is a simple reverse loop, then the DCC circuit breaker function has limited value.  But if the reversing section involves something like a stub yard of one end of a wye, then is great solution.

It will also be address the reverse polarity problem much faster than any relay based solution.  That translates into less engine speed hesitation at the insulated joiner track joint if not eliminating it completely.  It will also show up in the headlight of a engine if the engines does not have any stay alive capacitors.  Any headlight blinking will likewise be minimize if not eliminated too.  In practice you often get flawless crossings unless there is something wrong with the layout wiring.


On Jan 3, 2019, at 6:53 AM, Ric Zimmerman <zimmermane@...> wrote:

I agree with Perry.  The PSX-ARs not only reverse the polarity, but also can provide automatic turnout control on a reverse loop, preventing derailing if running through a switch.

RicZ

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com



Greg Elmassian
 

Ditto on what Mark says, have been using them for years, and I have exactly what he describes, a wye off the main line that feeds a yard.

https://elmassian.com/images/stories/misc_train/layouts/greg/switchyard/moved/20181001_173021.jpg