Topics

Manual Reversing loop wiring

Tom O Hara

My poor phrasing. With multiple pole switches, one pole can make before another pole breaks. I have no idea if it's common, but I would be aware of the possibility.

On slide types of switches, like in the old Atlas controllers and the Tortoise machines, it can definitely happen. I've encountered both. Obviously, these are not toggle switches, so the comparison is not really justified.

.....Tom

dvollrath@...

Ken, I have never seen a toggle switch purposely made to make before break. Slide and rotary switches can be made that way. But I have seen multi-pole toggle switches where there is an offset in the throw mechanism where one pole flips before the others. To prevent the possibility of a timing/position offset causing a short... Connect the center moving OUTPUT side (switch roller/wiper) contacts to the load, and the cross-wired INPUT side from the source. Then at worst both wires to the track load might be momentarily connected to the same polarity rather than causing a short circuit on the DCC/power source.

DonV

Do they make toggles that are not break before make?  Rotary switches are made this way but I am not aware of toggle switches and I have been an electronics technician and engineer for 40 years.  Some kind of circuit protection so that the loop is shut down if a train bridges the loop is still a good idea as folks are known to run turnouts.  If the toggle controls the turnout that feeds the loop then a train should never bridge the turnout and therefore the loop when it is thrown.  On my layout I am using a relay that is controlled by the same computerized remote control that controls my turnout.  The change is completely seamless even when the train is in motion on the loop.  I do use my own low cost automatic fuses (www.voltscooter.com) to protect the loop.

Best,

Ken Harstine

Tom O Hara

I am in favor of toggle switches. Just make sure that it is a "break before make" style or a center-off style so that you can't have the new direction and old polarity at the same time.

....Tom

What sort of turnouts control the loop.  If you are already using a toggle switch you can get one with two extra poles and directly control the polarity and the aligning switch at the same time.  No need to purchase expensive electronics at all.

Best,
Ken Harstine
Holyoke, MA

Kurt Konrath

Others may have better idea but if you isolate the loop track which would be needed in future anyway. You then simply add a manual toggle switch. A Double Throw Double Pole DPDT center off style (on/off/on) and cross wires on back with center leads going to loop track

Then you flip the switch as needed!

Manual version of automatic systems

Kurt K

On May 19, 2018, at 10:26 AM, Tim Holmes taholmes160@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Hi folks:

Is there an easy way to wire a manual section for a reversing loop for right now, till I get the automatic board for it?  Ive got new engines and cars, but no place to run them and would like to get something working temporarily till I can purchase the automatic reverser

thanks
TIM
--

Tim