Topics

Problems with booster districts - double gaps

dvollrath@...

Richard,
1. did it run OK before but now does not? If that is the case, something broke or an isolating rail gap has closed up or there are wires touching something that is not correct.

2. Does the loco hesitation occur when a loco crosses over only certain booster district gaps?

3. when you were checking with the continuity meter, was DCC power On or Off? There are sneak diode paths inside the boosters that can cause a continuity tester to register 'yes' when power is turned Off..

4. What does a voltmeter show when DCC power is On and you put the Vac probes directly across a booster district gap ON THE SAME RAIL? If it does not read close to zero Vac you have one of the booster connections out of phase (polarity). Diagonal placement of an AC voltmeter across the booster district gaps should read >12Vac but not more than 20Vac.

DonV

---In WiringForDCC@..., <richard@...> wrote :

Hi ... we have a fairly large, all Digitrax layout with the following gear: DCS100 (not providing track power), 3 DB150 boosters, 4 BDL168s for occupancy, 6 SE8Cs for signaling, and 24 DS64s to control our Tortoise machines. We use the recommended Direct Home wiring, have double gapped all tracks between booster districts, and have installed a ground reference wire between the DCS100, the 3 DB150s, and the 4 BDL168s. However, when we test rail continuity over the double gaps, we hear a strange beep, beep, beep from our multi-meter. It sounds almost like a busy signal on the telephone. We were expecting no sound at all, proving that the gap exists. We have triple checked the rail gaps, all our bus wires and track feeders and have nothing crossing the gaps. The only wire that connects the districts (other than LocoNet) is the DCC ground reference. We noticed the issue when locos would hesitate at the district boundary and then continue on. Has anyone seen this before? Where should we look further? Thank you

rsauerbrun