Topics

Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

sgaugian

Are any of you familiar with installing DCC in a steam engine using a wireless tether between the engine and the tender?  If so, from whom is that available?  And how is it installed?  Thank you.  

Dave

Edward Sargent

Yes, our club looked the it briefly. What we looked at was actually wireless communications between the various locos in a consist eliminating the need for speed matching, not engine and tender. There are numerous draw backs which is why we dropped the idea. For instance you can have it running on your home layout but your engines will not necessarily work on other layouts and vice versa.

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:02 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

Are any of you familiar with installing DCC in a steam engine using a wireless tether between the engine and the tender?  If so, from whom is that available?  And how is it installed?  Thank you.  

Dave

rg <richg_1998@...>

I have not heard of any.

Rich

On Sunday, December 17, 2017, 12:01 PM, davidghorn@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Dave

sgaugian

Thanks.  Someone told me they had one installed when they got an American Models S gauge streamlined PRR K4 converted to DCC.  I've asked for photos and more information.  Will share what I find out.

sgaugian

Thanks.  Would what you looked into lend itself to between an engine and a tender?  What was it?   What were the drawbacks?  Thanks.
Dave

scott toro

Ok Would like to know the answer to that

On Sunday, December 17, 2017, 5:53 PM, davidghorn@... [WiringForDCC]

Thanks.  Would what you looked into lend itself to between an engine and a tender?  What was it?   What were the drawbacks?  Thanks.

Dave

Edward Sargent

First off the system we looked at was RailPro by RingEngineering http://ringengineering.com/

I don’t know if it would work with a tender wirelessly, if it does, it is a fairly expensive solution to use just to eliminate wires.

Drawbacks, If you have an existing DCC system to make use  of all the features you need to use JMRI or Ringengineering throttles and replace the decoders in all your engines. If you also take your equipment to other layouts the units equipped with RailPro decoders may or may not function.

Wireless consisting only works if the HC-2 throttle (or CI-1) is used.

HC-2 cannot currently control DCC decoders

HC-2 costs more than other vendors throttles

Another way of looking at it is without the HC-2 all the benefits of RailPro are gone, with the HC-2 the engines with normal DCC decoders are DOA.

Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:51 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

Dave

Glenn

You can download an HC simulator to a PC.

IMHO The RailPro system is superior to DCC.
1 It is R/C.
2 The controller is touch screen so you choose engines by an icon.
3 You can upload photos of engines / accessories to the controller.
4 You can upload sounds as well.
5 you can run several loco simultaneously, no toggling between just two. If a loco is powered up it is available on the HC.
6 There is no need for a programming track.
7 Programming adjustments (CVs) can be done on the main.
8 You only need the controller and decoders. No base station, just power on the rails or batteries.

I have had no problem running my RailPro engines on either NCE or Digitrax layouts.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Dec 18, 2017 1:05 AM

First off the system we looked at was RailPro by RingEngineering http://ringengineering.com/

I don’t know if it would work with a tender wirelessly, if it does, it is a fairly expensive solution to use just to eliminate wires.

Drawbacks, If you have an existing DCC system to make use  of all the features you need to use JMRI or Ringengineering throttles and replace the decoders in all your engines. If you also take your equipment to other layouts the units equipped with RailPro decoders may or may not function.

Another way of looking at it is without the HC-2 all the benefits of RailPro are gone, with the HC-2 the engines with normal DCC decoders are DOA.

Dave

sgaugian

Thanks Glenn.  So RailPro is a dead-rail system - correct?  With which you can have no power to the tracks and run your trains with their wireless or R/C controller or when there is power to the tracks (AC, DC, or DCC) the system utilizes that power but also recharges the onboard batteries at the same time, with a limiter so you can't overcharge them -- correct?  But it's not a wireless tether between an engine and a tender.  At least not intended for that use.  Right?   And Blue Rail would be that plus you can control your trains with Bluetooth devices such as with an app on your smart phone.  

rg <richg_1998@...>

To my knowledge, there is no way to transfer power wirelessly between a loco and tender. Think about this logically.

Dead Rail. Battery time is an issue.

Rich

Failure is not an option. it comes bundled with Windows.

Edward Sargent

Glenn’s points are correct, we reached the decision we did because the investment in locos and NCE gear for the club was just too much to set aside for a new system and having 2 types of throttles a little confusing. Additionally club members who like to bring their own equipment from home or other clubs would be a problem.

For someone just starting out and not in a club or shared layout environment it would be the best system, if you discount having to swap out the factory installed DCC components on every purchase, not to mention features that some other systems have.

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:11 AM

You can download an HC simulator to a PC.

IMHO The RailPro system is superior to DCC.
1 It is R/C.
2 The controller is touch screen so you choose engines by an icon.
3 You can upload photos of engines / accessories to the controller.
4 You can upload sounds as well.
5 you can run several loco simultaneously, no toggling between just two. If a loco is powered up it is available on the HC.
6 There is no need for a programming track.
7 Programming adjustments (CVs) can be done on the main.
8 You only need the controller and decoders. No base station, just power on the rails or batteries.

I have had no problem running my RailPro engines on either NCE or Digitrax layouts.

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
ed_sargent@... [WiringForDCC]"
Sent: Dec 18, 2017 1:05 AM
To:
WiringForDCC@...

To:
WiringForDCC@...

Dave

sgaugian

I agree with you Rich.  The only reason I'm asking is a prospective customer asked me to provide him a quote with a wireless tether between the engine and the tender b/c it was done that way for him already by another service provider on another S-gauge engine converted to DCC.  I have asked for more information and photos, but have not received them yet.  Thought I'd find out if I'm missing something here or not.  Never heard of it before, or understand how it would work.  TMCC and Legacy have wireless tethers, but for coded signals, not power.  

sgaugian

Thanks for the clarifications Ed.

Dave

Glenn

No it is not a dad rail system. RailPro was developed as a power from track system. I did hook a RailPro receiver to a battery power supply (BPS) from Stanton. http://www.s-cab.com/price-list.html.

Glenn

wirefordcc

You can avoid running lots of wires between a locomotive and a tender by using two decoders.  I've put a locomotive decoder in the boiler and put a sound decoder in the tender.  At the time I did this, I used a sound only decoder so I didn't have a light on the tender.  My particular tender didn't have a light on it any.  If you want a rear light on your tender, using a motor/sound decoder like Soundtraxx sells.

Then all you need to do is set both decoders to the same address.  This will work on any DCC layout and many locomotives.  Ideally, you use a locomotive that picks up power in both the locomotive and tender.  If not, you might have to run one or two wires between them.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

rg <richg_1998@...>

I have done that. A DZ125 in the 0-6-0 loco and a Tsunami micro in the tender. You need all wheels picking up.

Rich

On Monday, December 18, 2017, 10:13 PM, bigboy@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

You can avoid running lots of wires between a locomotive and a tender by using two decoders.  I've put a locomotive decoder in the boiler and put a sound decoder in the tender.  At the time I did this, I used a sound only decoder so I didn't have a light on the tender.  My particular tender didn't have a light on it any.  If you want a rear light on your tender, using a motor/sound decoder like Soundtraxx sells.

Then all you need to do is set both decoders to the same address.  This will work on any DCC layout and many locomotives.  Ideally, you use a locomotive that picks up power in both the locomotive and tender.  If not, you might have to run one or two wires between them.

Allan
Wiring For DCC

sgaugian

Thanks.  I'm familiar with the two decoder approach.  Might be what I do in this case.  

sgaugian

Thanks for the clarification on RailPro.  I should have referred to the web site shown below write up on the different systems.  I read it over the summer, but forgot a few things since then.  Lots of useful battery powered ops info if you haven't read it before, check it out.  

Dave

Gary Chudzinski

Allan writes:

>You can avoid running lots of wires between a locomotive and a tender by using two decoders.  I've put a locomotive decoder in the boiler and put a sound decoder in the tender. 

And how do you handle change CV's in just one of the decoders?

Gary Chudzinski

Vollrath, Don <don.vollrath@...>

Good question Gary. Several alternatives for using two decoders.

1.      Provide an electrical plug between loco and tender so you can separate them and program each separately on the programming track or mains. (Do #4 during the installation?)

2.      Provide tiny electrical switches so that you can disconnect either decoder from track power (only one side is necessary) during programming of the other one without interference.

3.      Set the decoders up with different addresses and consist them together when running.

4.      Set them up with different short addresses for programming and the same long address for running. Switch between short and long addresses for programming vs running.

Use programming on the main. Recognize that you don’t need to read the decoder to program CVs.  #4 is the easiest to do, but it is likely that #1 will be there already for other practical reasons.

DonV

Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 10:10 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Re: Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

Allan writes:

>You can avoid running lots of wires between a locomotive and a tender by using two decoders.  I've put a locomotive decoder in the boiler and put a sound decoder in the tender. 

And how do you handle change CV's in just one of the decoders?

Gary Chudzinski