From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:02 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Wireless DCC tether between steam engine and tender

Are any of you familiar with installing DCC in a steam engine using a wireless tether between the engine and the tender?  If so, from whom is that available?  And how is it installed?  Thank you.

Dave

rg <richg_1998@...>

I have not heard of any.

Rich

On Sunday, December 17, 2017, 12:01 PM, davidghorn@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Are any of you familiar with installing DCC in a steam engine using a wireless tether between the engine and the tender?  If so, from whom is that available?  And how is it installed?  Thank you.

Dave

sgaugian

Thanks.  Someone told me they had one installed when they got an American Models S gauge streamlined PRR K4 converted to DCC.  I've asked for photos and more information.  Will share what I find out.

sgaugian

Thanks.  Would what you looked into lend itself to between an engine and a tender?  What was it?   What were the drawbacks?  Thanks.
Dave

scott toro

Ok Would like to know the answer to that

On Sunday, December 17, 2017, 5:53 PM, davidghorn@... [WiringForDCC]

Thanks.  Would what you looked into lend itself to between an engine and a tender?  What was it?   What were the drawbacks?  Thanks.

Dave

Edward Sargent

First off the system we looked at was RailPro by RingEngineering http://ringengineering.com/

I don’t know if it would work with a tender wirelessly, if it does, it is a fairly expensive solution to use just to eliminate wires.

Drawbacks, If you have an existing DCC system to make use  of all the features you need to use JMRI or Ringengineering throttles and replace the decoders in all your engines. If you also take your equipment to other layouts the units equipped with RailPro decoders may or may not function.

Wireless consisting only works if the HC-2 throttle (or CI-1) is used.

HC-2 cannot currently control DCC decoders

HC-2 costs more than other vendors throttles

Another way of looking at it is without the HC-2 all the benefits of RailPro are gone, with the HC-2 the engines with normal DCC decoders are DOA.