Topics

Wiring

Cort Garnier

I'm working on a small 7 x 4 layout, no reverse loops and a small yard. Is it possible to wire the layout for DCC but run it DC until my DCC equipment arrives? I want to run a locomotive to check the track, turnouts and connections. I have a Digitrax system with a PM42 Just downloaded the manuals for them.

Cort Garnier (210) 440-8411 cortgarnier@...

scott toro

Yes you can I believe on some of the systems you have to run it under number 10

On Sunday, May 28, 2017, 10:06 AM, cort garnier cortgarnier@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

I'm working on a small 7 x 4 layout, no reverse loops and a small yard. Is it possible to wire the layout for DCC but run it DC until my DCC equipment arrives? I want to run a locomotive to check the track, turnouts and connections. I have a Digitrax system with a PM42 Just downloaded the manuals for them.

Cort Garnier (210) 440-8411 cortgarnier@...

Steve Haas

<<I'm working on a small 7 x 4 layout, no reverse loops and a small yard. Is it possible to wire the layout for DCC but run it DC until my DCC equipment arrives? I want to run a locomotive to check the track, turnouts and connections. I have a Digitrax system with a PM42 Just downloaded the manuals for them.>>

Yes it is possible.  Actually, there is little to no difference between a well wired DC layout and a well wired DCC layout. Reversing sections sometimes need to be treated a bit differently, and one needs to use heavier wire for longer runs in DCC.

The one thing to be careful is to totally disconnect the DCC system from the track when running DC, and vice versa. I personally would take all the DC only engines of the track when running DCC, and vice versa.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Vollrath, Don <don.vollrath@...>

I agree with what Steve said. And once you start running your first DCC loco you will forget about running on D.C.

DonV
Sent from my phone

On May 28, 2017, at 12:06 PM, cort garnier cortgarnier@...<mailto:cortgarnier@...> [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...<mailto:WiringForDCC@...>> wrote:

I'm working on a small 7 x 4 layout, no reverse loops and a small yard. Is it possible to wire the layout for DCC but run it DC until my DCC equipment arrives? I want to run a locomotive to check the track, turnouts and connections. I have a Digitrax system with a PM42 Just downloaded the manuals for them.

Cort Garnier (210) 440-8411 cortgarnier@...<mailto:cortgarnier@...>

Gregory Latiak

You could supply power to the track with a couple of alligator clips if you wanted to test sections. As for permanent wring, DC and DCC have the same issues of polarity. And if you intend to use a PM42 for power districting, a pair of barrier strips would substitute for the output side. And the distribution of power within the district if you intended to do occupancy detection can similarly be implemented. What I did when building my 7x10 two deck layout. The difference between the two is that DC voltage varies and DCC does not. Instead, signals are sent out to tell addressable devices to take more or less power.

greg latiak

Cort Garnier

Thanks Steve! Currently I have no DCC locomotives yet and the box of my digitrack stuff arrived yesterday. Once the checks have been done I will install the DCC system and buy a dcc equipped loco. Still have some wiring to finish and tidy up the feeders. Thanks again!