Topics

How to find the booster common?

Jan Boen

Hi,

For an upcoming event were looking for a solution to avoid boosters potentially pumping current into each other when a train crosses between booster districts.
So read all about the booster common (or booster ground).
Theory well understood but how to do this in reality.
None of the boosters I have available have a pin or connection point which is clearly marked as such.
Any practical guidance will be more than welcome.
As an electronics engineer I do understand schematics etc :-)

Any other solutions you see?
We've been thinking about some special electronics and we see some technical solutions if needed but alas they're pretty intrusive.

Thanks,

Jan

Vollrath, Don <don.vollrath@...>

What boosters are you using? NCE Power Pro command station and booster have the booster common connection at the case.

See also Mark Gurries website.

DonV

For an upcoming event were looking for a solution to avoid boosters potentially pumping current into each other when a train crosses between booster districts.
So read all about the booster common (or booster ground).
Theory well understood but how to do this in reality.
None of the boosters I have available have a pin or connection point which is clearly marked as such.
Any practical guidance will be more than welcome.
As an electronics engineer I do understand schematics etc :-)

Any other solutions you see?
We've been thinking about some special electronics and we see some technical solutions if needed but alas they're pretty intrusive.

Thanks,

Jan

Jan Boen

Hi,

The layouts come from different participants so there is no way for us to know which boosters they're bringing nor can we impose a given brand/model/make.

Thanks,

Jan

On 11/11/2016 17:50, 'Vollrath, Don' don.vollrath@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

[...]

Virusvrij. www.avast.com

asychis@...

If you are using Digitrax, there is no booster common connection as such, attaching the ground to one of the screws on the case will work just fine.

Jerry Michels

Dale Gloer

Not so.  Every Digitrax Booster and Command Station has a terminal marked Ground and is the booster common.

Dale Gloer

Vollrath, Don <don.vollrath@...>

Make all participants provide a connection to their booster common as a necessity to connect their module. Then connect all the commons together when assembling modules.

DonV

On 11/11/2016 17:50, 'Vollrath, Don' don.vollrath@...<mailto:don.vollrath@...> [WiringForDCC] wrote:

[...]

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-tick-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virusvrij. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

asychis@...

OK, sorry if I supplied the wrong information.  I was always of the opinion you needed to connect a ground to the case.  I can make my installation much cleaner if I can remove the ground wire connected to a screw on the case and use this input.

Jerry Michels.

Kurt Konrath

A very few of the early booster setups didn't have a ground connection on the main power plug.  So you had to do a case tap. But I can't remember what model booster that was.

Kurt

On Nov 13, 2016, at 9:57 AM, asychis@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

OK, sorry if I supplied the wrong information.  I was always of the opinion you needed to connect a ground to the case.  I can make my installation much cleaner if I can remove the ground wire connected to a screw on the case and use this input.

Jerry Michels.

Jan Boen

Alas the case is all plastic...

Op 13 november 2016 7:14:47 p.m. schreef "Kurt kurt.konrath@... [WiringForDCC]" :

A very few of the early booster setups didn't have a ground connection on the main power plug.  So you had to do a case tap. But I can't remember what model booster that was.

Kurt

On Nov 13, 2016, at 9:57 AM, asychis@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

OK, sorry if I supplied the wrong information.  I was always of the opinion you needed to connect a ground to the case.  I can make my installation much cleaner if I can remove the ground wire connected to a screw on the case and use this input.

Jerry Michels.

Vollrath, Don <don.vollrath@...>

Please tell us what brand and model of booster you are using.

Is it being fed from AC (transformer) or a DC power supply?

DonV

A very few of the early booster setups didn't have a ground connection on the main power plug.  So you had to do a case tap. But I can't remember what model booster that was.

Kurt

On Nov 13, 2016, at 9:57 AM, asychis@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

OK, sorry if I supplied the wrong information.  I was always of the opinion you needed to connect a ground to the case.  I can make my installation much cleaner if I can remove the ground wire connected to a screw on the case and use this input.

Jerry Michels.

ed wilson

if it s an NCE booster like the SB5 / DB5 with the plastic case, you can use a screw on the metal back plate

--
Ed Wilson   ewilson248@...

Jan Boen

Hi Don, all,

Tams B-3 and powered by normal AC transformer.
For sure I can open the box and start looking for the internal common of the H-bridge that is likely to be there but that is an intrusive way of working and you have to reverse engineer or have the schema's of each and every booster that will come to the event.
So not a solution that can be easily used.
So from what I gather there is no such thing as a common way to implement a booster common if your booster doesn't have this connection.
So instead of implementing this booster common it might be more universal, alas also more expensive, to implement a kind of reversing loop set-up that switches as needed while avoiding "short circuits" between 2 domains.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome :-)

Thanks,

Jan