From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2016 7:41 AM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Insulating bus wire dropper feeds

Hello group,

Question about insulation. I have attached a couple of pictures in the photos section showing some newly soldered connections of my droppers to my bus wires. The bus wires are 13 AWG. I tried splitting a heat shrink longitudionally and applying it but when I applied heat with the air gun it didn't hold and just twisted up. Does anyone have a way of insulating these connections or should I not bother as long as nothing else can touch the exposed fractions of an inch?

Paul Hamilton

Perth, Western Australia

Chris Elliott

Paul, you could also use self fusing insulating tape. It's available in Australia from jaycar, stock number is nm-2826
Chris Elliott

Sent from planet earth

On 12 Nov 2016, at 01:21, 'Vollrath, Don' don.vollrath@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Try electrical tape or some of that liquid electrical tape stuff. I always stagger the soldered connection points and leave them bare.

DonV

Question about insulation. I have attached a couple of pictures in the photos section showing some newly soldered connections of my droppers to my bus wires. The bus wires are 13 AWG. I tried splitting a heat shrink longitudionally and applying it but when I applied heat with the air gun it didn't hold and just twisted up. Does anyone have a way of insulating these connections or should I not bother as long as nothing else can touch the exposed fractions of an inch?

Paul Hamilton

Perth, Western Australia

Digitrax Dad (Lancashire Fusilier)

Thanks Don V, I have staggered them but it doesn't feel right to me to leave them uninsulated. I will look into that liquid insulation as electrical tape is a bit heavy handed for such small joints I think.

Cheers,

Paul Hamilton
Perth, Western Australia

Digitrax Dad (Lancashire Fusilier)

Ok Chris, I will check it out. Thanks for the pointer.

Paul Hamilton
Perth, Western Australia