Servo Motor Turnout Control

colinseggie@...

Hi all ,I have been fiddling with 555 timers with little success. I know there ars commercial Servo drivers, out there but most are expensvive. Does anyone have an easy /relativly cheep servo control driver to turn our turnouts?(That they are prepared to share?) Alan Gartner says his timers are only for Stall Motors!!

Thanks Doc Colin

Jim Cubie <jimcubie@...>

There is a whole world out there on the web using Arduinos with special attachments to use servos to control turnouts.  There are cheap servos (and arduinos).  There was also an article in model railroad hobbyist in the last year or 2 about using cheap servos to control turnouts without Arduino controls.  Tam Valley sells servo based turnout controls.

Stuart Bouchey <sbouchey@...>

Hi

In the pre Arduino days the NMRA monthly magazine twice published an article on a servo motor controller.

It used a form of perfboard and thru hole components; I built one and it worked very well.

Sorry, but I can not give you any specifics as all the MRR paper (including magazines) went to recycling when I moved.

As Jim said, there is a whole world out there.

Stuart

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

There is a whole world out there on the web using Arduinos with special attachments to use servos to control turnouts.  There are cheap servos (and arduinos).  There was also an article in model railroad hobbyist in the last year or 2 about using cheap servos to control turnouts without Arduino controls.  Tam Valley sells servo based turnout controls.

Paul O <pomilian@...>

Doc, look in ‘Photos’; I just posted a simple diagram on how to wire a 555 to be able to control a servo between two positions: “Servo Control”.

Sorry, I don’t remember where I got the diagram so I can’t give credit.

Paul O

Hi all ,I have been fiddling with 555 timers with little success. I know there ars commercial Servo drivers, out there but most are expensvive. Does anyone have an easy /relativly cheep servo control driver to turn our turnouts?(That they are prepared to share?) Alan Gartner says his timers are only for Stall Motors!!

Thanks Doc Colin

colinseggie@...

Thanks Paul,
A lot if not most of those 555circuits on Google are crap - dont wiork and sing tunes!!