Making Smoke

terryintexas7@...

I bought a Bachmann Smoke unit
Like this one

 http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1706

and need to know how to wire it to use it in a smoke stack on my layout

Thanks

Kurt Konrath

I would think you could use a simple 2 function decoder yo power the unit.

As long as you are within the max amp rating it may not cause problem.

Just a thought

Kurt K

On Sep 19, 2016, at 4:51 AM, terryintexas7@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

I bought a Bachmann Smoke unit
Like this one

 http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1706

and need to know how to wire it to use it in a smoke stack on my layout

Thanks

Glenn

By “smoke stack” I am assuming you are talking about a building’s chimney.

From the picture I would wire a lead from a wall-wart or other power source to the two ears on the left and right sides. You may be able to unwrap some wire so you do not melt the plastic ears.

Try using 6volts, then increase the voltage until you get the desired amount of smoke.

That’s a good price since a Seuthe unit will cost upwards of $15.

Check around you can find ‘flavored’ smoke in various scents like wood, oil, coal, trash, etc.

Glenn

I would think you could use a simple 2 function decoder yo power the unit.

As long as you are within the max amp rating it may not cause problem.

Just a thought

Kurt K

On Sep 19, 2016, at 4:51 AM, terryintexas7@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

I bought a Bachmann Smoke unit
Like this one

 http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1706

and need to know how to wire it to use it in a smoke stack on my layout

Thanks

richg_1998@...

Making smoke using a decoder. Measure required current with DC power supply and an amp meter. Vary the voltage for what you would like to see in use on the layout. Pretty simple.
No idea if RS carries the relay anymore. Online electronics sellers will sell them.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/Tech_note%2014.pdf

Rich

William Dixon Robertson III

I was able to make smoke with a decoder, but only once.

Dixon Robertson
Columbia, SC

Charles Brumbelow

Electrical stuff operates using magic smoke. Once you let that escape the device is toast.

Charles

On Sep 22, 2016, at 7:17 AM, wdrlaw@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

I was able to make smoke with a decoder, but only once.

Dixon Robertson
Columbia, SC

richg_1998@...

Did it burn out the decoder function or the smoke unit or did you use a relay like the link I sent?
My understanding is the decoder will not supply enough current.

RIch

Ed S <eschwerkolt@...>

I have had the same success......

Ed S