Topics

Wiring for A Wye

mikedolan34

I belong to a Free-Mo Modular group and have a question concerning Wye wiring.
The nature of our group is such that each setup is different from the previous. I have built a Wye for use in the group and wired as it is, requires placement the same at each set up.
I would like to rewire this so that each leg of the wye could be swapped for the purpose of the reversing polarity. I would like to control each leg of the wye so that I could have Leg A as the reversing section at a set up but have Leg C as the reversing section at the next set up.
I've looked at SPST or DPDT toggles or maybe a 3 way Guitar type switch is required. But I'm confused.
Appreciate any feedback.
Mike Dolan
(New Member)

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Mike
You can use a DPDT toggle switch to select which leg of the wye will be a reversing leg at setup time. Insulate both rails of each leg. Wire the rails of each leg to the 'throw' terminals of a separate DPDT toggle switch. Wire one end of each toggle switch to an AR unit. Wire the other side is the switch to fixed DCC. Flip the toggles to suit the setup. An alternate setup would be to let both legs be of fixed polarity and make the third switch of the wye determine the polarity of the turnout and tracks beyond according to the direction of the throw bar.
DonV

On Feb 21, 2016, at 10:00 PM, pkmjd@...<mailto:pkmjd@...> [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...<mailto:WiringForDCC@...>> wrote:

I belong to a Free-Mo Modular group and have a question concerning Wye wiring.
The nature of our group is such that each setup is different from the previous. I have built a Wye for use in the group and wired as it is, requires placement the same at each set up.
I would like to rewire this so that each leg of the wye could be swapped for the purpose of the reversing polarity. I would like to control each leg of the wye so that I could have Leg A as the reversing section at a set up but have Leg C as the reversing section at the next set up.
I've looked at SPST or DPDT toggles or maybe a 3 way Guitar type switch is required. But I'm confused.
Appreciate any feedback.
Mike Dolan
(New Member)

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Mike,
Using a short leg of track for DCC auto-reversing is problematic. It would help if you could send a sketch of possible ways you envision how your module with the wye would be used. Post them in our files or photo section or send direct to me by email.
Be sure to check out other options at http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track_2.htm#a45.

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Vollrath, Don" <DVollrath@...>
------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.com
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

mikedolan34

Thanks Don.
I was thinking that would be the best. Appreciate the quick response.
Mike Dolan

On Feb 21, 2016, at 11:18 PM, 'Vollrath, Don' dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Don.
Sorry for the delay returning you thoughts on the Wye. 2 legs of the Wye measure 43" and the 3rd leg is 53". They have been working for a couple of years at this length. Trains running on the set up don't tend to be extremely long.
Outside the box question: Could a PM42 be setup to power each leg? If each leg is set as a reversing section on the PM42, would the PM react if the polarity was the same and only react on the leg that is not?
I intend to power the legs from a DB150.
Mike Dolan

On Feb 21, 2016, at 10:00 PM, pkmjd@... [WiringForDCC] > wrote:

I belong to a Free-Mo Modular group and have a question concerning Wye wiring.
The nature of our group is such that each setup is different from the previous. I have built a Wye for use in the group and wired as it is, requires placement the same at each set up.
I would like to rewire this so that each leg of the wye could be swapped for the purpose of the reversing polarity. I would like to control each leg of the wye so that I could have Leg A as the reversing section at a set up but have Leg C as the reversing section at the next set up.
I've looked at SPST or DPDT toggles or maybe a 3 way Guitar type switch is required. But I'm confused.
Appreciate any feedback.
Mike Dolan
(New Member)

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Yes. An auto-reverser will be totally happy when the polarity of the track is the same at each end of the sometimes A-R section. Once triggered to the proper polarity, it just stays that way.

DonV