Topics

DC Power Supply Question

Jerry Breon

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Flash Gordon

yikes  I arc weld at 40 amps. You will need some serious current limiting to be safe on your layout.

Ed S

At 06:50 AM 2/19/2016, you wrote:

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

john

Fifty amps, wow. I use a 30 amp Street transformer wired for 4, 6-8 volt out puts. I use an old stile single element auto, running light, light bulb to ballast individual circuits for 1 to 8 switch machines. The number of machines can vary with the wattage of the lamps. Running lights pass about a half amp and brake lights pass about 1.3 amps before lighting.
If the motor shorts the bulb lights, no worries.
If you have too much of a load the bulb lights, no worries.
Fifty amps is a lot of power. If you try to fuse the secondary without a good resistive load on it, it will blow fuses when the EMF collapses.
john

On Friday, February 19, 2016 7:32 AM, "Jerry Breon jbreon@... [WiringForDCC]"

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Gregory Latiak

A different approach is to use the power supply for a discarded plasma TV. This thing puts out a rock solid 14.5 volts and is rated for 6000ma. Have a 12 gauge distribution feed down the length of the layout with local fuse blocks with fractional amp glass fuses to limit current feeding DS64s (and Torti...) and other assorted accessory and control devices. Seems to work...and the price was right.

Greg Latiak

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Jerry,

Put lots of 2-3 amp branch circuit fusing close to the output connections of the supply so you can safely wire your accessory loads with 18-22 AWG. Make sure you also fuse or CB the input power connections to this supply at less than 8-10 amps as an internal component failure might turn the 120V supply cord into a fire hazard.

DonV

Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 5:50 AM
To: NCE-DCC ; WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DC Power Supply Question

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Mark Gurries

The biggest problem with using such a high current power supply is a serious Fire hazard.  There is no forgivness with small wiring or improper wiring.

You need to a slow blow fuse or a circuit breaker of about 5Amps right at the output of the power supply.  That way any wiring problems will just pop the fuse or circuit breaker.

BTW: The DC output voltage is to low for the PowerPro to use anyway.   You will not get full track voltage.  It practice it takes about 19VDC to get the correct fully regulated output voltage at 5amps at the track terminals.

On Feb 19, 2016, at 3:50 AM, Jerry Breon jbreon@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com

Rich <regan@...>

Hello:
    That type (and brand) was developed more for Ham radio stations. A 52-amp supply can power a 200-watt output radio. I use a 30-amp supply for my 100-watt Yaesu and a few accessories. This particular power supply gets mixed reviews on the Ham Radio forums (because I think some Ops overdrive them and burn them up). This leads to one consensus: keep the total output to 40 amps or below. As to other ramifications using such a heavy-duty power supply in a model railroad situation: I’ll leave that to the electrical/electronics folks.
Rich, KA2VCW
Rochester, NY

On Feb 19, 2016, at 6:50 AM, Jerry Breon jbreon@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Glenn

I agree with Don, divide your output into several circuits and fuse them. Or connect them through voltage regulators, LM7815, LM7812, and LM7805 as needed. The last two digits indicate the output voltage. These voltage regulators will shut down at about 1 amp. You can find some regulators with a higher output.

There is also the LM317 series variable voltage regulator that can go down to 1.5V if you need that low of a voltage.

Glenn

Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 09:37
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] DC Power Supply Question

Jerry,

Put lots of 2-3 amp branch circuit fusing close to the output connections of the supply so you can safely wire your accessory loads with 18-22 AWG. Make sure you also fuse or CB the input power connections to this supply at less than 8-10 amps as an internal component failure might turn the 120V supply cord into a fire hazard.

DonV

Sent: Friday, February 19, 2016 5:50 AM
To: NCE-DCC ; WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DC Power Supply Question

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Jerry Breon

I appreciate everyone's replies to my question and will certainly follow the sound advice to provide 5A fuse protection at the power supply's output. As an aside, power to all of my layout's equipment is energized by an illuminated (when ON) wall switch at the room's exit door as an added precaution.
Jerry

To: nce-dcc@...; wiringfordcc@...
Subject: DC Power Supply Question
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 06:50:23 -0500

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC