Topics

DC Power Supply Question

Jerry Breon

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Flash Gordon

yikes  I arc weld at 40 amps. You will need some serious current limiting to be safe on your layout.

Ed S

At 06:50 AM 2/19/2016, you wrote:

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

john

Fifty amps, wow. I use a 30 amp Street transformer wired for 4, 6-8 volt out puts. I use an old stile single element auto, running light, light bulb to ballast individual circuits for 1 to 8 switch machines. The number of machines can vary with the wattage of the lamps. Running lights pass about a half amp and brake lights pass about 1.3 amps before lighting.
If the motor shorts the bulb lights, no worries.
If you have too much of a load the bulb lights, no worries.
Fifty amps is a lot of power. If you try to fuse the secondary without a good resistive load on it, it will blow fuses when the EMF collapses.
john

On Friday, February 19, 2016 7:32 AM, "Jerry Breon jbreon@... [WiringForDCC]"

Some time ago I acquired a Pyramid PS-52KX Regulated Power Supply redundant from a professional project and am considering using it to power the accessories (lighting, Tortoise stall motors, etc.) on my under-construction HO scale NCE PowerPro-controlled layout. It is not my intent to utilize this unit to power any components of the NCE system, just the layout accessories.

Because the Pyramid unit furnishes 12-15 VDC at 52 AMPS, my specific question is what precautions should I take to ensure the unit can be safely used in a model railroad layout environment?

Thanks,
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC

Gregory Latiak

A different approach is to use the power supply for a discarded plasma TV. This thing puts out a rock solid 14.5 volts and is rated for 6000ma. Have a 12 gauge distribution feed down the length of the layout with local fuse blocks with fractional amp glass fuses to limit current feeding DS64s (and Torti...) and other assorted accessory and control devices. Seems to work...and the price was right.

Greg Latiak

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Jerry,

Put lots of 2-3 amp branch circuit fusing close to the output connections of the supply so you can safely wire your accessory loads with 18-22 AWG. Make sure you also fuse or CB the input power connections to this supply at less than 8-10 amps as an internal component failure might turn the 120V supply cord into a fire hazard.

DonV