Topics

Short circuits and multiple boosters

Chris Elliott

Hi group, I'm in need of a bit of advice.
I have a single loop layout which is rather long. Due to it's physical size I have used 1 Digitrax booster (DB150) and 1 Digitrax command station (DCS100) to keep the feeder lengths to about 30 feet. Each of the Digitrax boxes has it's own power supply each of which is capable of delivering more than 5amps. The 2 Digitrax boxes are connected to each other with a loconet cable and a "home ground". The DB150 is set up as a booster.
The loop is has both rails electrical isolated at 2 places, resulting in 2 independent power districts.

Now for the problem.
When a locomotive causes a short circuit in the middle of a district, it causes the other district to shutdown.
I expected that only the booster connected to the effected district would shutdown.

Is my expectation correct or do I have a problem?

Thank You
Chris Elliott

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

In which booster district is the short located when both boosters shut down… the DCS100 or DB150 booster district?

Does a track short in the other district cause the same problem?

DonV

[...]

Good question.
The short that prompted this post was in the DB150 district. I haven't noticed a short occurring in the DCS100 district shutting down the DB150, I will check that out when I get home from work.
Thanks
Chris Elliott

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Chris,

With power off disconnect both track wires from the DB150 and measure the ohms from each of those DCC district wires to track connections of the DSC100. There should be an almost infinite ohms reading… ie - No connections.

Also verify that you have the polarity of the boosters connected correctly to avoiding shorts between booster districts. A quick voltage check across same-rail gaps isolating should measure near zero Vac.

DonV