Topics

Wiring the Walthers 90 Turntable - DC version

Cheryl Gale-Multz

Hello everyone.

I have the Walthers 90' HO scale Turntable (assembled version). I'm using the NCE system, and I want to wire the turntable. I know there will be some type of reversing scenario as the turntable switches position.

Can I use a PSX-AR auto reverser and wire that for the turntable, so when the engine leaves to other tracks there won't be a short? In addition there will be isolation from the rest of the layout both rails will have insulated joiners on them. There will one track from the layout leading to the turntable...

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Neal M.

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Just wire up a PXAR to the turntable rails and you are good to go.

DonV

On Jun 11, 2015, at 8:23 AM, multzy@...<mailto:multzy@...> [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...<mailto:WiringForDCC@...>> wrote:

Hello everyone.

I have the Walthers 90' HO scale Turntable (assembled version). I'm using the NCE system, and I want to wire the turntable. I know there will be some type of reversing scenario as the turntable switches position.

Can I use a PSX-AR auto reverser and wire that for the turntable, so when the engine leaves to other tracks there won't be a short? In addition there will be isolation from the rest of the layout both rails will have insulated joiners on them. There will one track from the layout leading to the turntable...

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Neal M.

Ross Kudlick

Neal,

Is electrical reversing built-in to your turntable?  Most manufactured turntables do.

This is from the instructions for the Walthers 90’ Built-Up Turntable model 933-2840:

“Installing the Pit

Your new turntable automatically reverses track polarity when turned.  .  .  .”

Regards,

Ross Kudlick

I have the Walthers 90' HO scale Turntable (assembled version). I'm using the NCE system, and I want to wire the turntable. I know there will be some type of reversing scenario as the turntable switches position.

Can I use a PSX-AR auto reverser and wire that for the turntable, so when the engine leaves to other tracks there won't be a short? In addition there will be isolation from the rest of the layout both rails will have insulated joiners on them. There will one track from the layout leading to the turntable...

Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Neal M.

Posted by: multzy@...

Cheryl Gale-Multz

Ross, when these came out they were DC only, which is the version I have. Since that time I saw they made a DCC version and there was supposedly an adapter to make it DCC is no longer available, and not on their site. That's why I wanted to know about using the PSX-AR circuit.

Neal

--
Michael Sherbak

Cheryl Gale-Multz

Thanks Michael!

Neal

On Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:52 PM, "Michael Sherbak msherbak11@... [WiringForDCC]" wrote:

Here's a conversion from mark hurries website

[...]

The built-in power reversing will work with either DC (polarity reversing) or DCC (phase reversing).  An additional reversing module (or DPDT switch) is not required.  DC and DCC both require the same electrical switching for any track reversing section.

I see that Michael Sherbak has posted a link to instructions for converting the turntable control to DCC vice the original Walthers control panel.

Kind regards,

Ross Kudlick

Ross, when these came out they were DC only, which is the version I have. Since that time I saw they made a DCC version and there was supposedly an adapter to make it DCC is no longer available, and not on their site. That's why I wanted to know about using the PSX-AR circuit.

Neal

John White

I have the Walthers 90 ft Turntable and used the Digitrax AR-1, which I also use for my Y track. They both respond very well with no issues. All I did was isolated the Y track at the Y turnout, the rest takes cars of itself.
JT