From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:18 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: [WiringForDCC] Bus Wiring....

I am in the planning stages of a N Scale layout. I am using a 4'x8' layout.... According to my layout program I have a total of a bit over 90' of track... I have it broken into 4 different blocks. My question is since I really want to locate my complete controls at one end of the layout and not the center.... can I just use a lager size bus wire to address any issues with length? I plan on using a Digitrax SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra with 5 Amps..... I would be running all of my Bus wires to a switch box that has DPST Switches that will allow me to isolate each Block. I plan on installing either Circuit Breakers or use the 1156 bulb option for each block. I have rambled enough and for this I apologize... Any and all help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Ace Flier II

Thanks Don... I know it is over kill ( I already had the dpst switches) but it is also cheap insurance and I kind of think that it makes for easy trouble shooting allowing me to isolate a block.... as stated I think that I will spring for the circuit breakers... I was planning on using 14 gauge Romex (I tend to prefer solid wire... especially when it will be permanent fixture) stripping the White and Black wires out of the jacket and twisting them... the romex is much cheaper than just buying White and Black THHN Solid 14 gauge wire. I have already purchased the Bell Wire as you mentioned for my Feeders. So I guess now the fun begins....
Thanks Again,  Ace

Kurt Konrath

If you want red/black zip cord in most normal sizes look at the wire and cables section of PowerWerx web site.    Reasonable costs and they have sizes from 10 - 24 I think

Kurt K

On Jan 14, 2015, at 8:39 AM, 'Vollrath, Don' dvollrath@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

You should have no problems with your 4 x 8 layout by putting the command station & booster at one end. For a 5 amp system you could wire up the DCC busses using 18 ga zip cord or 16 ga speaker wire. You can still find 18 ga red & white twisted “bell’ wire in some stores. Splitting up the layout into 4 power district blocks with disconnect switches is a noble idea, but somewhat overkill. However, at a later time you may want to replace or supplement the disconnect switches with electronic circuit breakers to help protect your fragile N scale equipment.

DonV

I am in the planning stages of a N Scale layout. I am using a 4'x8' layout.... According to my layout program I have a total of a bit over 90' of track... I have it broken into 4 different blocks. My question is since I really want to locate my complete controls at one end of the layout and not the center.... can I just use a lager size bus wire to address any issues with length? I plan on using a Digitrax SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra with 5 Amps..... I would be running all of my Bus wires to a switch box that has DPST Switches that will allow me to isolate each Block. I plan on installing either Circuit Breakers or use the 1156 bulb option for each block. I have rambled enough and for this I apologize... Any and all help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

For a 4 x 8 N scale layout 14 ga is overkill. Stripping out romex then twisting is a lot of fiddly work. If you test for wiring mistake shorts as you go your biggest issue when running will be operator error or derailments. These are kind of obvious… especially on a 4 x 8 layout. Block circuit breakers or manual disconnect switches (if you are fast enough) will help protect equipment.

DonV

Thanks Don... I know it is over kill ( I already had the dpst switches) but it is also cheap insurance and I kind of think that it makes for easy trouble shooting allowing me to isolate a block.... as stated I think that I will spring for the circuit breakers... I was planning on using 14 gauge Romex (I tend to prefer solid wire... especially when it will be permanent fixture) stripping the White and Black wires out of the jacket and twisting them... the romex is much cheaper than just buying White and Black THHN Solid 14 gauge wire. I have already purchased the Bell Wire as you mentioned for my Feeders. So I guess now the fun begins....

Thanks Again,  Ace

wirefordcc

I thought this discussion on N scale track buses would be a good time to remind readers that the key to knowing if your wiring is adequate, is the quarter test.  If your wiring passes the quarter test, you are good to go.  This test will ensure that your booster will safely shutdown rather than melt down your locomotive.  Real Alcos should smoke, model ones shouldn’t! J  For more on the quarter test, see my website at:  http://www.WiringForDCC.com/track.htm#a16

Allan Gartner

Wiring For DCC

asychis@...

Allan, It is refreshing to read something simple and straightforward.  No math, no equipment, no engineering, no philosophy, just a simple quarter!  Simple is usually the best. Jerry Michels

Brian Eiland

I wish it was as simple to make a copy of this discussion!!! Maybe its just my stupidity and lack of understanding this 'computer world, but when I 'copied' this section and tried to place it in a text document I could print, the margins are all off such that the text does not fit on a page correctly.

I wanted to print this out so I could have a copy in front of me all the time!

Sorry for my rant at these 'computer/software' compatibilities?
Brian

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM, asychis@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Allan, It is refreshing to read something simple and straightforward.  No math, no equipment, no engineering, no philosophy, just a simple quarter!  Simple is usually the best. Jerry Michels

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Brian, It is all moving into the direction of a paperless society. (^_^) Yep… the print-the-page concept also captures all the junk and is usually not compatible with what you want to see. [Likewise a simple print-out of local movie house show times on a single page is almost impossible. We’re supposed to be “always connected”.]

Forget about fighting with Yahoo. Copy & paste always works with MS Outlook email messages and it should work with other e-mail programs.

This is where using the mouse if far superior to touch-pads or touch-screens. Open up a page in your favorite text editor (MSWord or whatever). Then go back to the forum messages and highlight the text with your mouse cursor then try the CTRL+C (copy) then CTRL+V (paste) trick to copy & paste what you want into your personal file. You should be able to re-edit to clean it up using the text editor after you get it there. Save it with a filename you will remember. You can also add more info at a later date to that same file.

DonV

I wish it was as simple to make a copy of this discussion!!! Maybe its just my stupidity and lack of understanding this 'computer world, but when I 'copied' this section and tried to place it in a text document I could print, the margins are all off such that the text does not fit on a page correctly.

I wanted to print this out so I could have a copy in front of me all the time!

Sorry for my rant at these 'computer/software' compatibilities?
Brian

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM, asychis@... [WiringForDCC] <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

Allan, It is refreshing to read something simple and straightforward.  No math, no equipment, no engineering, no philosophy, just a simple quarter!  Simple is usually the best. Jerry Michels

asychis@...

Curious, I have no problem highlighting all  the messages in a given digest and pasting into Word.  Are you using digest mode?  It might help.  Jerry Michels