The thermal circuit breaks are not fast enough to catch the overload, so the booster will shut down first.
Some have installed automobile lamps in the circuit to catch smaller overloads - check the files on the Digitrax and Soundtraxx groups.

I know the PSX are dear, have you checked Tam Valley?

On 2014-05-27, at 12:11 PM, yankeezephyr@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

Hi!
 I am new to the group as well as DCC, and have a quick question to ask.
I would like to install circuit breakers on all of my power districts but the electronic ones are to costly. So I ask can I use regular 5 amp circuit breakers or five amp fuses to protect my blocks?

Thank you for your help
Blessings
Art

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Art, The purpose of DCC electronic circuit breakers is twofold.

1)      To catch an unexpected short circuit and to quickly disconnect it so as to let other parts of the layout connected to the same booster keep running.

2)      To trip out at a relatively low (and sometimes programmable) current level to help protect our equipment, and the booster itself, from damage.

Part of the problem here is that the DCC boosters we use do have their own limited current output…. And internal over current trip mechanism. This means that it will take a very long time (maybe never) to cause a thermal or magnetic type CB or fuse to actually trip. The booster will always trip first by sensing current just beyond its normal output rating. So… No, An ordinary circuit breaker or fuse intended to trip on high peak overload currents in order to prevent fires is not likely to perform nearly as well as the electronic versions designed specifically for DCC.

One alternative is to simply use robust wiring so that a short circuit anywhere on the layout will cause the booster to trip and accept the fact that the entire layout will shut down when there is a derailment. If you have wired your layout into power districts you can always add DCC CBs later when/if halting the whole layout becomes a problem.

DonV

 I am new to the group as well as DCC, and have a quick question to ask.

I would like to install circuit breakers on all of my power districts but the electronic ones are to costly. So I ask can I use regular 5 amp circuit breakers or five amp fuses to protect my blocks?

Thank you for your help

Blessings

Art

Arthur DeVoe

THANK YOU Everybody!
 I will use the light bulb method , track, and switches and switch over to circuit breakers as fund allow. After buying lumber, track, switches etc etc etc it will take a while to build up funds.
Any advice to get the wife to think the the railroad is more important then, food, bills, mortgage...etc?

Art
Guysborough Railroad

Kurt Konrath

Tell her is a medical deduction for stress relief after a hard day at work

Kurt K

On May 27, 2014, at 8:36 PM, "yankeezephyr@... [WiringForDCC]" <WiringForDCC@...> wrote:

THANK YOU Everybody!
 I will use the light bulb method , track, and switches and switch over to circuit breakers as fund allow. After buying lumber, track, switches etc etc etc it will take a while to build up funds.
Any advice to get the wife to think the the railroad is more important then, food, bills, mortgage...etc?

Art
Guysborough Railroad

Chris Killgore

Remember, light bulbs only limit the current, not stop it.  Current will still be flowing through the short!

Chris

On 5/27/2014 7:36 PM, yankeezephyr@... [WiringForDCC] wrote:

THANK YOU Everybody!
 I will use the light bulb method , track, and switches and switch over to circuit breakers as fund allow. After buying lumber, track, switches etc etc etc it will take a while to build up funds.
Any advice to get the wife to think the the railroad is more important then, food, bills, mortgage...etc?

Art
Guysborough Railroad

Charles Zak

Just tell her when your in the basement working on the RR she knows where you are and the money is not being spent at the bar

john

Are you sure you want to tell her that, the bar is cheaper, lol. You might want to look at Digitrax's PM42. It controls 4 power sections and current can be limited to between 3 and 10 amps with the additional feature of short protection.
john