Topics

Digest Number 2081 Hot Snubber

CS_listes

Hello,
  Posted by: "Ed S" Date: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 pm
>His instructions recommend not to using a continuous loop but he
does not give a reason.

The answer is here: NMRA
Standard S-9.1.2 - 5 end of section.
http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-9.1.2_2012_07.pdf
“5. Topology
Only one Command Station signal generator output or Power Station Interface Repeater output
155 may be connected to a Power Station Interface. Inputs of many Power Stations may be connected
in parallel connection to the two wires of the bus. It is acceptable to use tree, star, and daisy chain
connections. However, it is not allowed to connect any part of this bus in a loop. The bus, or
branches, must not create a loop to themselves or to another branch. If multiple Power Station
Interfaces are used on a layout, they must not be interconnected. They should be clearly identified
160 to eliminate possible cross connecting.”

This implies that it is the same track. They should not form a loop.

Good day digital.
Charles_2_Bordeaux.
France.

Bonjour,
La réponse est ici :
Cela sous-entend qu’il en est de même pour les rails. Ils ne doivent pas former une boucle.
Bonne journée en numérique.
Charles_2_Bordeaux.
France.

jazzmanlj

Maybe it's time to put the hot snubber to bed and open a discussion as to loops and wiring! That might be more informative and productive.

Len Jaskiewicz

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

Thank you for explaining that. Bill Teeters

  Posted by: "Ed S" Date: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 pm
>His instructions recommend not to using a continuous loop but he
does not give a reason.

The answer is here: NMRA
Standard S-9.1.2 - 5 end of section.
“5. Topology
Only one Command Station signal generator output or Power Station Interface Repeater output
155 may be connected to a Power Station Interface. Inputs of many Power Stations may be connected
in parallel connection to the two wires of the bus. It is acceptable to use tree, star, and daisy chain
connections. However, it is not allowed to connect any part of this bus in a loop. The bus, or
branches, must not create a loop to themselves or to another branch. If multiple Power Station
Interfaces are used on a layout, they must not be interconnected. They should be clearly identified
160 to eliminate possible cross connecting.”

This implies that it is the same track. They should not form a loop.

Good day digital.
Charles_2_Bordeaux.
France.

Bonjour,
La réponse est ici :
Cela sous-entend qu’il en est de même pour les rails. Ils ne doivent pas former une boucle.
Bonne journée en numérique.
Charles_2_Bordeaux.
France.

jazzmanlj

Hello,
Posted by: "Ed S" Date: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 pm
>His instructions recommend not to using a continuous loop but he
does not give a reason.

The answer is here: NMRA
StandardS-9.1.2 - 5 end ofsection.
“5. Topology
Only one Command Station signal generator output or Power Station Interface Repeater output
155 may be connected to a Power Station Interface. Inputs of many Power Stations may be connected
in parallel connection to the two wires of the bus. It is acceptable to use tree, star, and daisy chain
connections. However, it is not allowed to connect any part of this bus in a loop. The bus, or
branches, must not create a loop to themselves or to another branch. If multiple Power Station
Interfaces are used on a layout, they must not be interconnected. They should be clearly identified
160 to eliminate possible cross connecting.”
This implies that it is the same track. They should not form a loop.

Good day digital.
Charles_2_Bordeaux.
France.

IMHO the NMRA spec and in many others such as MIL, etc are written not for the layperson but for the technically inclined! Industry specs are meant for highly technical people.That's OK. Technical people, it's our job and we have to scrutinize and understand every sentence!

NMRA sets the standard for manufacturers etc, where technical details are important but these are beyond the average modelers comprehension. Perhaps NMRA or another party should try to adress the layperson and write in terms that could be digested!

Just my opinion.

Len Jaskiewicz