Topics

Polarity problems

bob_pombrio@...

Folks I need some help with a few polarity issues I have going on with regards to crossings.  I have put a couple of pictures of the layout up in the files section

Files->Bob P's layout

Both levels of my layout have crossings the lower has 2 and I can not seem to keep the polarity correct.  The lower level is built and the track is laid, the upper level as been started.  I didn't see the shorting problems until I was trying to configure my Switch-8's and Switch-It.  I know that I have put put some isolaters in but I'm not sure where.

Any help you could give me will be a big help!

Thanks,
Bob P.

Chuck Stiles

Bob
You have created a couple of reversing loops in this layout.
If you have indicated in Green where your isolators are, your correct there is not enough.
Try starting color coding your rails on paper Blue and Red or Black & Red (identify Rail A & B clearly)
If you are power routing color your turnout frogs Green along with your Isolators
Then you will be able to visualize the polarity better and show which sections you want to isolate treat as a reversing section.
There are several ways to handle these, and suggestions on Allen s website! (good reading)
Chuck Stiles
NJ

---In WiringForDCC@..., <bob_pombrio@...> wrote:

Folks I need some help with a few polarity issues I have going on with regards to crossings.  I have put a couple of pictures of the layout up in the files section

Files->Bob P's layout

Both levels of my layout have crossings the lower has 2 and I can not seem to keep the polarity correct.  The lower level is built and the track is laid, the upper level as been started.  I didn't see the shorting problems until I was trying to configure my Switch-8's and Switch-It.  I know that I have put put some isolaters in but I'm not sure where.

Any help you could give me will be a big help!

Thanks,
Bob P.

Flash Gordon

You have reverse loops in both layouts. Has nothing to do the the crossings. They are internally isolated.

Looks like you are using RTS 8. RTS 8 will show you where you have a reverse short.

If you post the actual RTS 8 file, I can mess with it.

Ed S

Bob Pombrio <bob_pombrio@...>

Sorry Ed  I have AnyRail, I just exported it to a jpeg.    What exactly is RTS 8?

Thanks

You have reverse loops in both layouts. Has nothing to do the the
crossings. They are internally isolated.

Looks like you are using RTS 8. RTS 8 will show you where you have a
reverse short.

If you post the actual RTS 8 file, I can mess with it.

Ed S

Flash Gordon

RTS 8 was a free program from Atlas. What is neat about it is that it can identify reverse shorts.

I will draw up your simple layout and post it.

Ed S

At 05:49 PM 2/16/2014, you wrote:

Sorry Ed I have AnyRail, I just exported it to a jpeg. What exactly is RTS 8?

Thanks

Bob Pombrio <bob_pombrio@...>

Any chance you can put the software in the files of our group?

At 05:49 PM 2/16/2014, you wrote:

>Sorry Ed I have AnyRail, I just exported it to a jpeg. What
>exactly is RTS 8?
>
>Thanks

Bob Pombrio <bob_pombrio@...>

Thanks Chuck.  That's what I was afraid of.I started doing that before I posted to the group and then I hit a wall and got stuck.  The green dots are actually locked height markers on the AnyRail plans.   I have no idea where I need to place the isolaters.

---In WiringForDCC@..., wrote:

Folks I need some help with a few polarity issues I have going on with regards to crossings.  I have put a couple of pictures of the layout up in the files section

Files->Bob P's layout

Both levels of my layout have crossings the lower has 2 and I can not seem to keep the polarity correct.  The lower level is built and the track is laid, the upper level as been started.  I didn't see the shorting problems until I was trying to configure my Switch-8's and Switch-It.  I know that I have put put some isolaters in but I'm not sure where.

Any help you could give me will be a big help!

Thanks,
Bob P.

Flash Gordon

I will find a link for it..

I uploaded one solution for you in your folder.

Ed

At 05:49 PM 2/16/2014, you wrote:

>Sorry Ed I have AnyRail, I just exported it to a jpeg. What
>exactly is RTS 8?
>
>Thanks

Flash Gordon

Bob,

You have yahoo mail.

Ed S

Flash Gordon

Bob,

I rough up the lower section and showed one solution. In your folder.

My drawing are not for building layout only to solve reverse problems. They are just quickies.

Ed S

Flash Gordon

Bob,

Another thought. Does the lower level connect to the upper. If so, there may be more problems.

Where do they meet?

Ed S

Bob Pombrio <bob_pombrio@...>

Yep the meet. On the lower level look to the upper left. See that turn out going to nowhere?  That connects ti the long free leg on the upper.