Topics

Emergency stop button -- Annuder Variant

Glenn

On a different take get an Atlas Snap relay (#200) and put it between the system and the track. Place push buttons in appropriate places around the layout.

Wire the control so when the emergency button is pressed it will interrupt power to the track. Put a reset push button someplace so you can reconnect power when the problem is cleared. It is not a true relay as it does not automatically return to it original position.

Since the Snap Relay is a DPDT switch when the power is interrupted from the track, the DCC power could be diverted to a set of flashing lights to indicate the emergency stop had been activate.

This set up eliminates fussing with the 120V power.

The relay is #200 in the Atlas line. A new one will cost $12, but I have seen them on eBay for $1.

Glenn

Flash Gordon

The thinking has narrowed down to turning off the
DCC portion of a layout. I started this thread
thinking of a catastrophic failure somewhere on
the layout. Lots of accessories are powered and a
lot of lighting...... large transformers to boosters, etc.

When I smell smoke I don’t want to spend time
looking for where… I just want all the electricity OFF.

I will have one 120v feed to the layout, I want
to chop it off at the source then do the trouble shooting later.

Ed S

David Heine <davesn3@...>

My basement layout is powered off on one 20A circuit that is used for layout
power only, and I have a one 20A rated switch that turns off all the layout
power. I have receptacles around the layout off that switched circuit, but
most of the layout is powered off one central area. If I wanted multiple
locations to kill the total layout power, I would use switches to operate a
relay with a low voltage coil to shut off the power to that circuit.

I have more than one layout lighting circuit, but I installed a contactor
and it is wired so that one switch turns off all the lights for the layout
and my workshop area. I have other switches installed so that if don't need
to have all the layout lights on if I am only working in one area of the
layout.

Dave Heine
Easton, PA

The thinking has narrowed down to turning off the DCC portion of a layout. I
started this thread thinking of a catastrophic failure somewhere on the
layout. Lots of accessories are powered and a lot of lighting...... large
transformers to boosters, etc.

When I smell smoke I don't want to spend time looking for where. I just
want all the electricity OFF.

I will have one 120v feed to the layout, I want to chop it off at the source
then do the trouble shooting later.

Ed S

------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo Groups Links

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Interesting how the discussion in a forum sways back and forth.
What Ed seemed to want was a mushroom head e-stop button to disconnect all power to the layout, maybe one with multiple stations. Not sure why he wanted it but it is his RR. Seemed to already have found one on e-bay.
From there it diverged into using D-I-Y relays (some at 120V no less) or the commercially available X-10 controls or even the 'clapper'.
Then a note or two about killing only the DCC track power.
Then several methods of built-in e-stop features of various brand 'throttles' to stop a locomotive and/or possibly all DCC track voltage.
Then to using a single switch to control not only the layout, but also room lighting.
Soon we will be discussing using cannibalized IR motion detectors from an outdoor light fixture to automatically kill whole room power when leaving for grandma's house. (Or was that on a different forum?)
Someone opens the door and the ideas just pour in! Enjoy.

Please don't fiddle with 120Vac power wiring (220V for you guys down under) unless you really know what you are doing, and your local inspector and insurance company agrees.

The thinking has narrowed down to turning off the DCC portion of a layout. I started this thread thinking of a catastrophic failure somewhere on the layout. Lots of accessories are powered and a lot of lighting...... large transformers to boosters, etc.

When I smell smoke I don't want to spend time looking for where. I just want all the electricity OFF.

I will have one 120v feed to the layout, I want to chop it off at the source then do the trouble shooting later.

Ed S

------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo Groups Links

------------------------------------

http://www.WiringForDCC.comYahoo Groups Links

Carl

Hello Glenn:

I've used the Atlas Snap Relay and found it overpriced for its "toy" construction. May I suggest commercial relays like this one:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-565/5VDC-DPDT-LATCHING-RELAY-SURFACE-MOUNT/1.html

Same function but a sealed case with rated contacts, and only $1.

I buy a lot from All Electronics and it is a hoot to visit their store!

Carl.

On 2/13/2014 8:39 AM, Glenn wrote:

On a different take get an Atlas Snap relay (#200) and put it between the system and the track. Place push buttons in appropriate places around the layout.

Flash Gordon

Don,

Yes it is great how we digress, but fun to do on a snowy day.

Let me respond:

Motion detector.... yessssss if no motion the whole thing goes to sleep... like a dead mans switch... being retired I do nod off now and then.. great to wake up and everything is where you left it. No corn field meets.

Seriously, I just want to turn off all the power quickly if something bad happens. I can't run to the other end of the layout anymore.

Building code: In Ohio as long as any electrical item is plugged into a wall outlet, anything you do beyond that is your problem. If you hard wire into a circuit then everything has to be in conduit and boxes.

I plan to plug into a dedicated circuit that has a 10amp circuit breaker in the service panel with one "custom made heavy extension cord" to my kill switch .... then branch out with power strips for accessories.

My bedroom is above the basement layout and I do not want to wake up with smoke in my room.

If I am pulling more then 10 amps with this layout, then something will have to go, on a fixed income I can't afford the electricity.

Ed S

At 12:13 PM 2/13/2014, you wrote:

Interesting how the discussion in a forum sways back and forth.
What Ed seemed to want was a mushroom head e-stop button to disconnect all power to the layout, maybe one with multiple stations. Not sure why he wanted it but it is his RR. Seemed to already have found one on e-bay.
From there it diverged into using D-I-Y relays (some at 120V no less) or the commercially available X-10 controls or even the 'clapper'.
Then a note or two about killing only the DCC track power.
Then several methods of built-in e-stop features of various brand 'throttles' to stop a locomotive and/or possibly all DCC track voltage.
Then to using a single switch to control not only the layout, but also room lighting.
Soon we will be discussing using cannibalized IR motion detectors from an outdoor light fixture to automatically kill whole room power when leaving for grandma's house. (Or was that on a different forum?)
Someone opens the door and the ideas just pour in! Enjoy.

Please don't fiddle with 120Vac power wiring (220V for you guys down under) unless you really know what you are doing, and your local inspector and insurance company agrees.

DonV

john

Guys, I have tried and I can not attach a PDF page to this page but look up Carlton-Bates Company , page 160 of their 2013 catalog for Solid State Relays.
   You can find these relays in any surplus shop for cheap. They handle a lot or a little amperage. You could put them behind a receptacle in a deep surface mounted box with a cord on it and a low voltage input to activate the relay. You can activate or deactivate your layout with low voltage. My club uses a Key and an indicator. An RCA jack makes a simple key OR a 2 way, 3 way, 4 way, etc. switch could connect or disconnect a layout from a number of positions.

Hope I helped
john

At 12:13 PM 2/13/2014, you wrote:

>Interesting how the discussion in a forum sways back and forth.
>What Ed seemed to want was a mushroom head e-stop button to
>disconnect all power to the layout, maybe one with multiple
>stations. Not sure why he wanted it but it is his RR. Seemed to
>already have found one on e-bay.
> From there it diverged into using D-I-Y relays (some at 120V no
> less) or the commercially available X-10 controls or even the 'clapper'.
>Then a note or two about killing only the DCC track power.
>Then several methods of built-in e-stop features of various brand
>'throttles' to stop a locomotive and/or possibly all DCC track voltage.
>Then to using a single switch to control not only the layout, but
>also room lighting.
>Soon we will be discussing using cannibalized IR motion detectors
>from an outdoor light fixture to automatically kill whole room power
>when leaving for grandma's house. (Or was that on a different forum?)
>Someone opens the door and the ideas just pour in! Enjoy.
>
>Please don't fiddle with 120Vac power wiring (220V for you guys down
>under) unless you really know what you are doing, and your local
>inspector and insurance company agrees.
>
>DonV

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    WiringForDCC-digest@...
    WiringForDCC-fullfeatured@...

george hohon3

This thread has gotten so far off it's original track I think it's approaching some sort of internet record for going into a death spiral.  At the rate of current responses, I think my delete key is just about ready to cry "Uncle" . . .

George

To: WiringForDCC@...

At 12:13 PM 2/13/2014, you wrote:

>Interesting how the discussion in a forum sways back and forth.
>What Ed seemed to want was a mushroom head e-stop button to
>disconnect all power to the layout, maybe one with multiple
>stations. Not sure why he wanted it but it is his RR. Seemed to
>already have found one on e-bay.
> From there it diverged into using D-I-Y relays (some at 120V no
> less) or the commercially available X-10 controls or even the 'clapper'.
>Then a note or two about killing only the DCC track power.
>Then several methods of built-in e-stop features of various brand
>'throttles' to stop a locomotive and/or possibly all DCC track voltage.
>Then to using a single switch to control not only the layout, but
>also room lighting.
>Soon we will be discussing using cannibalized IR motion detectors
>from an outdoor light fixture to automatically kill whole room power
>when leaving for grandma's house. (Or was that on a different forum?)
>Someone opens the door and the ideas just pour in! Enjoy.
>
>Please don't fiddle with 120Vac power wiring (220V for you guys down
>under) unless you really know what you are doing, and your local
>inspector and insurance company agrees.
>
>DonV

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    WiringForDCC-digest@...
    WiringForDCC-fullfeatured@...

Max Maginness

Nice relay, but the ! amp contact rating is a bit on the low side to interrupt a 5 or 8 amp DCC supply (and yes I know the rating for AC is usually higher than for DC, but in this case the “AC” is switching much faster than for the usual 50/60Hz rating)  Having the contacts weld in an emergency will not help.

Max

I've used the Atlas Snap Relay and found it overpriced for its "toy" construction. May I suggest commercial relays like this one:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-565/5VDC-DPDT-LATCHING-RELAY-SURFACE-MOUNT/1.html

Same function but a sealed case with rated contacts, and only $1.

I buy a lot from All Electronics and it is a hoot to visit their store!

Carl.

On 2/13/2014 8:39 AM, Glenn wrote:

On a different take get an Atlas Snap relay (#200) and put it between the system and the track. Place push buttons in appropriate places around the layout.

No virus found in this message.

Carl

Hi Max:

I didn't notice the 1 Amp rating. What is the Atlas #200 relay rated for? Anyway the smaller relay can trigger a larger relay or several relays.

Carl.

Sent from my NOOK

[...]

George Galyon

And another thing about those Atlas "snap" relays.  Unless they've changed the design sometime in the last 30+ years they utilize a copper-on-copper (probably phos bronze) unplated slide mechanism which in my experience tended to fail open at a high rate of failure in less than 100 "snaps".  For a once in a blue moon operation...prob. acceptable.  But that All Electronics unit is a better price and is probably more reliable.

George T.

Max Maginness

No idea on the Atlas relay, and no numbers for it on the Atlas site so far as I could find. However two bits of bent brass (?) pushed against each suggest that 1 amp would be ambitious.

For a slightly different purpose (to sequence the power up from a master-slave booster arrangement) I am using a relay rated for 5 amps at 12 volts  (also has a 12 DC coil)  I have some others rated a 8 amps/30 volts. (Omron G5LE-14-AP3) These were from All Electronics some time ago and of course their stock varies but there are similar ones in the listings. Of course for these you need a separate 12 volt supply to keep them energized in normal use and that supply needs to be inherently very reliable …