Topics

DCC journey

Bruce Bailey <bruju@...>

Hello,
I already built the table(4x8) and I'm stuck. I'm very patient (2 years and counting), my wife has given me the thumbs up sign. I was going to just DC but when I caught a glimpse of DCC I was hooked. Here's the question: Should I purchase a Bachmann commander 00501 DCC ready set or wait and piece together a better set?
P.s. My has been so great in my endeavor I want to share in the construction.
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Kurt Konrath

Different systems cost differ greatly.  One question we need to be answered is how many engines and what scale you are in.  Also do you plan to expand past a 4x8 or not.   If you can provide some more info the group will provide you with a lot more valid of an answer. 

Kurt Konrath
Oklahoma City

On Feb 3, 2014, at 4:25 PM, Bruce Bailey <bruju@...> wrote:

Hello,
I already built the table(4x8) and I'm stuck. I'm very patient (2 years and counting), my wife has given me the thumbs up sign. I was going to just DC but when I caught a glimpse of DCC I was hooked. Here's the question: Should I purchase a Bachmann commander 00501 DCC ready set or wait and piece together a better set?
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

terryintexas7@...

I would wait and try some systems that your friends have
not only will it help you decide you'll also have a built in help source
Terry

In a message dated 2/3/2014 4:29:26 P.M. Central Standard Time, bruju@... writes:

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Flash Gordon

If you can add to the table amd make it 5 x 9, you do so much more on a layout.

Ed S
Sent from My Commodore 64

At 05:25 PM 2/3/2014, you wrote:

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Chuck Stiles

Bruce
The Bachmann is a good starter set complete with DCC controller and two trains will work nicely on a 4 x 8 it will get you up and running in a hurry but you may get bored with it.
This is such a great hobby, there are so many choices you can make. Just be sure this is what you want, not just for now but down the road. Expandability is limited with the set, its an entry level controller.
See if you can get a demo of some DCC Controllers at your local hobby shop. See if you like the feel, simplicity or expandability of the unit before you make your final decision. If you have decided on a budget for now you can get a DCC Control that you can add to next year and the year after. Building your own from scratch can also give a greater sense of accomplishment or a bigger headache as well LOL
Good Luck

Chuck Stiles
NJ

On Monday, February 3, 2014 5:28 PM, Bruce Bailey wrote:

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Carl

Hello Bruce:

What scale / gauge are you planning? Just about any DCC system could support what would fit on your 4x8 table. I'm using Digitrax, but other folks say NCE is a more robust system?? The one nice thing is you can switch control systems and keep all the decoders in your locomotives. Also it isn't hard to sell an old DCC system.

What type of railroad do you plan? Operating trains, switching, point to point, etc.? Do you have a limited space?

Carl.

William Teeters <cozyflyr9398@...>

That's great but, would you consider Digitrax?. Its amongst  the most popular DCC system out there. It can be run as simply or as complex as you can imagine.
Sites you can visit are DCCfor everyone, Digitrax of course and DCC-Sound. Great enthueism!, Look at different systems before you make that purchase. Good Luck Bill Teeters Chicago,Peoria and Western ho RR. as seen on RockRail.org.

To: "WiringForDCC@..."
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 4:25 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Craig Zeni

On Feb 3, 2014, at 5:25 PM, Bruce Bailey wrote:

Hello,
As others have noted, multiple choices exist. What do your friends use? I myself prefer NCE as it's simply more user friendly than other brands. But my suggestion to you is to test drive each system. Get on the system, use it, build consists, do some basic programming with it. Read the manual and see if you can understand it. Then you'll know what is right for you. The NCE user group on Yahoo maintains a list of users that are willing to have visitors come over and do such test drives etc.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC

Richard Gagnon

I do not believe you want that set. The EZ Command is very limited. Program the loco number but no other CV's can be modified.
The sound value sets have the same controller. You can activate the sounds but you cannot fine tune any CV's and you will eventually want to.
The Digital Commander and other on board non sound DCC are very basic, old school decoders, usable but you will probably want to replace them in the Bachmann locos. Many do.
The sound value decoders are quite good though.

I use both versions but did get rid of the Bachmann non sound decoders.

Below is a link to the Bachmann forums and website.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php

There are quite a few on line shops with better prices than Bachmann suggest. I have used Micro Mart and The Favorite Spot.

Rich

Daniel H. Davis

Dan hear, I have both systems.  I started of with a Digitrax Cheif, added radio.  A fiend had a NCE system and I ended up buying the NCE Power Pro with radio, added a NCE Power Cab with radio.  I ended up giving my Digitrax system to my son.  The only thing I don't like about the NCE system is The size of the hand controller. Thats my only complaint.
Dan in Longview, WA.

To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:43:02 PM
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey

That's great but, would you consider Digitrax?. Its amongst  the most popular DCC system out there. It can be run as simply or as complex as you can imagine.
Sites you can visit are DCCfor everyone, Digitrax of course and DCC-Sound. Great enthueism!, Look at different systems before you make that purchase. Good Luck Bill Teeters Chicago,Peoria and Western ho RR. as seen on RockRail.org.

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Douglas Krahn

I tested several systems before purchasing my DCC system.  Personally, I really liked the NCE system over the other systems.  One of the features I liked  was the size of the controller (I have very large hands).  I think the NCE system is easier to use than the Digitrax system.  I recommend you try them all and find the one which works best for you.

Doug

To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey

Dan hear, I have both systems.  I started of with a Digitrax Cheif, added radio.  A fiend had a NCE system and I ended up buying the NCE Power Pro with radio, added a NCE Power Cab with radio.  I ended up giving my Digitrax system to my son.  The only thing I don't like about the NCE system is The size of the hand controller. Thats my only complaint. Dan in Longview, WA.
From: "William Teeters" To: WiringForDCC@...Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:43:02 PMSubject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey  

Hello, I already built the table(4x8) and I'm stuck. I'm very patient (2 years and counting), my wife has given me the thumbs up sign. I was going to just DC but when I caught a glimpse of DCC I was hooked. Here's the question: Should I purchase a Bachmann commander 00501 DCC ready set or wait and piece together a better set? P.s. My has been so great in my endeavor I want to share in the construction. Thanks again, Bruce Bailey Sent from my iPod

B K

I would say play with some DCC and decide how into it you want to get.

But you will probably want something that can read back CV values and change more than just the locomotive address. 

I built a dual-purpose layout designed so I could switch back and forth from HO to On30 by changing trains and structures and intended only to use the DCC on the On30 – and that even by accident initially, I bought an old MRC system that uses a dial to select locomotive address for like $15 at a show and figured I’d try it out.  But it has a design flaw, easy to short the wires and mess it up, I paid once to have it fixed and managed to short it again.  So I figured it was time for something better, and I bought by price an MRC Prodigy Express.

Which is fine for the On30 (all the engines are Bachmann and use the same decoders), but as I have dabbled more into HO with DCC I find it lacks a couple of key features, primarily the ability to read back CV values. 

Another thing you may run into is trying to consist units to run together, different decoders will behave differently out of the box and you need to be able to adjust and tune them.  In another fluke deal, my supposed to be DC Bowser C430 came through with factory DCC Sound.   So I got a DC C630 to run with it and put an NCE decoder in.  The C430 has some momentum programmed in and my next learning experience is programming the C630 to play nice with it – right now, it starts and slips a bit until the C430 starts moving, then when I stop them the C630 stops right away and the C430 pushes on it and slips a bit until it stops. 

I also picked up a couple of used engines with decoders and couldn’t get them to go – I never considered they were consisted together – and without the ability to read CV’s I couldn’t ID who’s decoder it was to reset them.  I eventually got one running, the other I haven’t finished straightening out; I got it to where it will run only in one direction and only with the lights turned off.  A lot of trial and error. 

Bottom line is were I to do it over again I’d buy a little better system, and at some point I will upgrade this one; one of the few things I like about the MRC is I don’t need to buy the whole works again, just the better throttle. 

And it seems to have power enough to run trains on a roughly 10x14 semi-modular layout with a middle peninsula. 

Bill K.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3684/7058 - Release Date: 02/03/14

Mark Gurries

Your not stuck with the large default LCD based hand controller (ProCab).  NCE has 5 smaller throttles to choose that are all about running trains.

On Feb 3, 2014, at 4:56 PM, microrails@... wrote:

Dan hear, I have both systems.  I started of with a Digitrax Cheif, added radio.  A fiend had a NCE system and I ended up buying the NCE Power Pro with radio, added a NCE Power Cab with radio.  I ended up giving my Digitrax system to my son.  The only thing I don't like about the NCE system is The size of the hand controller. Thats my only complaint. 
Dan in Longview, WA.

To: WiringForDCC@...
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:43:02 PM
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey

To: "WiringForDCC@..."  
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 4:25 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DCC journey

Hello,
Thanks again,
Bruce Bailey

Sent from my iPod

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer
DCC Website & NMRA DCC Clinics: www.markgurries.com