Topics

DCC Track Design for review

Chuck Stiles

Hi I'm new to the group and DCC but not to the hobby
Its been over 30 years since I built my last layout (a lot has changed since then)
I have been doing a lot of reading & research. I designed a new layout 5 x 8'  the table is built and ready to go (you can see it in the FILES section) "Final Layout for Review"
I am proficient with auto cad so after I tried some of the available free programs like Any Rail I decided to do it in autocad so I can get may track spacing and radius geometry correct.
I have Purchased Peco electrofrog turn out switch Peco 100 Flex Track its going over an old school cork roadbed and ballast
I have purchased tortoise switch machines as well
I built the Walthers Turntable and its ready for install
The uploaded drawing shows my proposed track layout with isolator locations track feed locations and block identification
I plan on wiring the elecrofrog thru the tortoise as per many online recommendations I have read
The purchase of the other DCC controls I have not fully decided on, I am planning on building a fascia control panel for switch control as well as control from a handheld throttle. In the future I would like to experiment with PC control using JMRI software (but one step at a time).
I'm welcoming anyone to look at my plan and see if I may have over looked something thus far before a start making things permanent.
There is a reversing section across the middle that I had concerns about wiring a reversing module

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ

Brian Eiland

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Chuck Stiles <capnchuck@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul O

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

Paul O

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??

Bob Hand <rehandjr@...>

Logon to yahoo mail, go to your group (wiringfordcc), click files and it will be listed there. (that is how I get there...).

bob

[...]

Chuck, it looks like a good plan.

One question: It looks like you have about 25 separate blocks. What is you plan for these blocks?

n  Individual circuit breakers?

n  Auto light bulbs?

n  Grouping them to a terminal block for troubleshooting ease?

The reverse loop shouldn’t be a problem so long as the isolated section is longer than any train you plan to run thru it.

Do you plan to be a lone operator or have multiple operators?

Paul O

From:  Chuck Stiles

[...]

Paul

I will probably tie most block to the Buss
I'm thinking some block occupancy detection in the future for signals
Most will be tied to terminal strips in the event I need troubleshooting
I may try light bulbs for short detection
I'd rather have more feeders now than try to add them in the future
I will probably be the lone operator

Chuck

From:  Chuck Stiles

[...]

Flash Gordon

I have the NEO version of yahoo and I cannot find it in the files section.

I hate Neo.

Ed S

At 10:52 PM 1/22/2014, you wrote:

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

Paul O

Scott H. Haycock

Ed,

Click on the "visit your group" at the bottom of this post where it says recent activity. When the Yahoo groups page comes up, click on  "Wiring For DCC" in the column on the left, showing the groups you belong to. Next click on "Files". Now go to the right side and change from "Alphabetical" to "Latest first". now scroll down. The 21st item, with the red PDF icon is what you want. Clicking on that will download the plan to your computer. I know, it's a pain, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it.

Scott Haycock
ent

At 10:52 PM 1/22/2014, you wrote:

>Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side,
>click on FILES.
>
>The first half of that section is folders and the second half is
>individual files.
>
>Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".
>

>Paul O

Bob Hand <rehandjr@...>

Click "Messages in this topic" at the bottom of this email message.  Logon.  You will be in Conversations (it will be bolded).  Click Files and you will be there.

bob

At 10:52 PM 1/22/2014, you wrote:

>Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side,
>click on FILES.
>
>The first half of that section is folders and the second half is
>individual files.
>
>Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".
>

>Paul O

Carl

Hi Gang:

How about coping the web link so we all don't need to waste time searching at all?

I think I found it in photos:

Files had no "Layout for Review".

Carl.