Topics

DCC Track Design for review

Chuck Stiles

Hi I'm new to the group and DCC but not to the hobby
Its been over 30 years since I built my last layout (a lot has changed since then)
I have been doing a lot of reading & research. I designed a new layout 5 x 8'  the table is built and ready to go (you can see it in the FILES section) "Final Layout for Review" 
I am proficient with auto cad so after I tried some of the available free programs like Any Rail I decided to do it in autocad so I can get may track spacing and radius geometry correct.
I have Purchased Peco electrofrog turn out switch Peco 100 Flex Track its going over an old school cork roadbed and ballast
I have purchased tortoise switch machines as well
I built the Walthers Turntable and its ready for install
The uploaded drawing shows my proposed track layout with isolator locations track feed locations and block identification
I plan on wiring the elecrofrog thru the tortoise as per many online recommendations I have read  
The purchase of the other DCC controls I have not fully decided on, I am planning on building a fascia control panel for switch control as well as control from a handheld throttle. In the future I would like to experiment with PC control using JMRI software (but one step at a time).
I'm welcoming anyone to look at my plan and see if I may have over looked something thus far before a start making things permanent. 
There is a reversing section across the middle that I had concerns about wiring a reversing module

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ

Brian Eiland

How do you find that "FILES" section, and your "Layout for Review" ??

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Chuck Stiles <capnchuck@...> wrote:

Its been over 30 years since I built my last layout (a lot has changed since then)
I have been doing a lot of reading & research. I designed a new layout 5 x 8'  the table is built and ready to go (you can see it in the FILES section) "Final Layout for Review" 
I am proficient with auto cad so after I tried some of the available free programs like Any Rail I decided to do it in autocad so I can get may track spacing and radius geometry correct.
I have Purchased Peco electrofrog turn out switch Peco 100 Flex Track its going over an old school cork roadbed and ballast
The uploaded drawing shows my proposed track layout with isolator locations track feed locations and block identification
I plan on wiring the elecrofrog thru the tortoise as per many online recommendations I have read  
The purchase of the other DCC controls I have not fully decided on, I am planning on building a fascia control panel for switch control as well as control from a handheld throttle. In the future I would like to experiment with PC control using JMRI software (but one step at a time).
I'm welcoming anyone to look at my plan and see if I may have over looked something thus far before a start making things permanent. 
There is a reversing section across the middle that I had concerns about wiring a reversing module

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ

Paul O

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".

Paul O

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of railandsail
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 10:41 PM
To: WiringForDCC@...
Subject: Re: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

Bob Hand <rehandjr@...>

Logon to yahoo mail, go to your group (wiringfordcc), click files and it will be listed there. (that is how I get there...).

bob

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Chuck Stiles <capnchuck@...> wrote:

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ

Paul O

Chuck, it looks like a good plan.

One question: It looks like you have about 25 separate blocks. What is you plan for these blocks?

n  Individual circuit breakers?

n  Auto light bulbs?

n  Grouping them to a terminal block for troubleshooting ease?

The reverse loop shouldn’t be a problem so long as the isolated section is longer than any train you plan to run thru it.

Do you plan to be a lone operator or have multiple operators?

Paul O

Thanks

Chuck Stiles

NJ

Chuck Stiles

Paul

I will probably tie most block to the Buss
I'm thinking some block occupancy detection in the future for signals
Most will be tied to terminal strips in the event I need troubleshooting
I may try light bulbs for short detection
I'd rather have more feeders now than try to add them in the future
I will probably be the lone operator 

Chuck

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:01 PM, Paul O wrote:

Chuck, it looks like a good plan.
One question: It looks like you have about 25 separate blocks. What is you plan for these blocks?
n  Individual circuit breakers?
n  Auto light bulbs?
n  Grouping them to a terminal block for troubleshooting ease?

The reverse loop shouldn’t be a problem so long as the isolated section is longer than any train you plan to run thru it.

Do you plan to be a lone operator or have multiple operators?

Paul O

Thanks
Chuck Stiles
NJ

Flash Gordon

I have the NEO version of yahoo and I cannot find it in the files section.

I hate Neo.

Ed S

At 10:52 PM 1/22/2014, you wrote:

Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side, click on FILES.

The first half of that section is folders and the second half is individual files.

Paul O

Scott H. Haycock

Ed,

Click on the "visit your group" at the bottom of this post where it says recent activity. When the Yahoo groups page comes up, click on  "Wiring For DCC" in the column on the left, showing the groups you belong to. Next click on "Files". Now go to the right side and change from "Alphabetical" to "Latest first". now scroll down. The 21st item, with the red PDF icon is what you want. Clicking on that will download the plan to your computer. I know, it's a pain, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it. 

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

I hate Neo.

Ed S

>
>
>Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side,
>click on FILES.
>
>The first half of that section is folders and the second half is
>individual files.
>
>Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".
>
>
>
>Paul O
>
>

Bob Hand <rehandjr@...>

Click "Messages in this topic" at the bottom of this email message.  Logon.  You will be in Conversations (it will be bolded).  Click Files and you will be there.

bob

From: WiringForDCC@... [mailto:WiringForDCC@...] On Behalf Of Ed S
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:18 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] DCC Track Design for review

I hate Neo.

Ed S

>
>
>Railandsail, go to the WiringForDCC Yahoo group; on the left side,
>click on FILES.
>
>The first half of that section is folders and the second half is
>individual files.
>
>Scroll down until you come to "Layout for Review".
>
>
>
>Paul O
>
>

Carl

Hi Gang:

How about coping the web link so we all don't need to waste time searching at all?

I think I found it in photos:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/photos/albums/85627517

Files had no "Layout for Review".

Carl.

On 1/22/2014 10:52 PM, Paul O wrote:

Paul O

Carl

Hi Gang:

Second try, it is in the files:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/files

You need the full name to find it: "Final Layout for review".

Share your goals for your layout. The tracks run very close to the edges for any scenery.  The four parallel tracks look like they have a station between them. Are you interested in passenger service? Only a few sidings so perhaps not freight switching. Turntable and round house so the age of steam?

Do you plan to move the layout often? Can you work it from all sides? What space do you have available?

Electrically it is simple, plenty of blocks and only one reversing track, the green diagonal, if you don't count the turntable track.

Let us know. Carl

On 1/23/2014 12:42 AM, Carl wrote:

Hi Gang:

How about coping the web link so we all don't need to waste time searching at all?

I think I found it in photos:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/photos/albums/85627517

Files had no "Layout for Review".

Carl.

On 1/22/2014 10:52 PM, Paul O wrote:

Paul O

Brian Eiland

I still don't see "files" on either of these pages??

Sorry, Perhaps I'm just computer 'challenged'
Brian

Scott H. Haycock

Brian,
You aren't looking in the Yahoo Group, but in a blog. Try this: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WiringForDCC/files 

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

Brian

Chuck Stiles

The outside tracks are intended for passenger service with a bypass for northbound and southbound trains where I have located the passenger platforms and station I preserved a lot of the buildings I had from 35 years ago and will be using them on the layout

The inner loop and sidings are for freight. point to point operation
I can run many different route throughout, twice around, point to point, reverse loop, etc

The era is not defined: combination steam diesel

The layout is a 5 x 8, I designed a custom table for my garage. I will share the plans and pictures with the group. The table sits on a sturdy base with locking casters so I have 360 access under the table is a display case for my rolling stock when not in use, and two 30" cabinets for storage. The top pivots and locks so I can roll it to the side when not in use. the whole thing will roll thru a standard 36" door and fit in a utility trailer for transport. 

Thanks for the comments on the wiring, confirming my wiring.

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 AM, railandsail wrote:

Brian

Paul O

Here is a direct link to the PDF:

http://tinyurl.com/k5pq7xp

Paul O

Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 AM

Brian

Paul O

Brian, the file is not on the ‘Wiringfordcc.com’ web site, it on the Yahoo Group WiringforDCC site.

Paul O

Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:20 AM

Brian

Brian Eiland

I guess I'm just confused by all the 'stuff' left in each email. Nobody tends to clean up all this extraneous mess that comes with each email notice,...and those very similar addresses are confusing to me.

I participate on a number of boating forums that are much clearer than this yahoo stuff,(to me anyway). And this RR forum is easier for me to understand....layout I once had....
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?8141-Problems-with-quot-The-Central-Midland-quot-Atlas-HO-29-layout-w-Pics/page2

Here is a 5x9 layout I once saw on Ebay and thought to buy. It seems to offer a lot in a relatively small footprint. Lets see if I can attach a photo to this forum discussion?...no, but here is a link
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29478-Need-Ideas-for-HO-Layout-for-5-x-10ft-Table&p=331236#post331236

I had wanted to see your choice of a layout, but having trouble getting to the photo/dwg
Brian

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Paul O <pomilian@...> wrote:

Brian, the file is not on the ‘Wiringfordcc.com’ web site, it on the Yahoo Group WiringforDCC site.

Paul O

Chuck Stiles

Brian

This should be a direct link to the file i posted on Yahoo Groups it will require a PDF viewer to open

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/ZLHiUrd_AnK-SGcVw26XSTp8uzhY3crYJFdvdgJt5tYG8oyU0YEPI8TahnklowCrnmbZZz24yD9a96glc37ABzT1iHYpFITa3qZbUr7TD3vt6r0CoEHfXQryCy8P2G1vaz93lsI7MdEK/Final%20Layout%20for%20review.pdf

I posted this in hopes for review from a DCC point of view in the design and provisions I made for power feeds on the layout etc. I was hoping for constructive criticism.

I also uploaded in the pictures section photo's of the tilted table construction

Hope This Helps

Chuck Stiles
NJ

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 10:47 PM, railandsail wrote:

I guess I'm just confused by all the 'stuff' left in each email. Nobody tends to clean up all this extraneous mess that comes with each email notice,...and those very similar addresses are confusing to me.

I participate on a number of boating forums that are much clearer than this yahoo stuff,(to me anyway). And this RR forum is easier for me to understand....layout I once had....
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?8141-Problems-with-quot-The-Central-Midland-quot-Atlas-HO-29-layout-w-Pics/page2

Here is a 5x9 layout I once saw on Ebay and thought to buy. It seems to offer a lot in a relatively small footprint. Lets see if I can attach a photo to this forum discussion?...no, but here is a link
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?29478-Need-Ideas-for-HO-Layout-for-5-x-10ft-Table&p=331236#post331236

I had wanted to see your choice of a layout, but having trouble getting to the photo/dwg
Brian

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Paul O <pomilian@...> wrote:

Paul O

Flash Gordon

Chuck,

That link did not work for me but I did find the pdf in the file section once I got the correct name.

Final Layout for review.PDF

Looks good to me, very similar to a layout I am building.

Ed S

george hohon3

Just a comment . . . And much to my surprise, a true story.

A couple years back, I started a new layout and made the decision it would DCC throughout.  It's relatively small, a HO double deck plan in 12' x 14' extra bedroom.  I studied all the files, went to DCC clinics at a number of conventions, and built the layout using the recommended wiring practices.

Upon completing the track work, which includes a twelve track fiddle yard, multiple DCC friendly  turnouts, cross-overs, and sidings, I was tickled pink that first train navigated every inch of track without so much as a hiccup.

Jump ahead a couple of years and I'm facing an expansion of the layout into an adjacent room.  A review of the wiring was needed and during that exercise I discovered I did not complete all the recommended wiring practices, as stated by "the experts" from a couple of years back.

My discovery?  Well, much to my surprise (even though the entire layout had a main power bus under every foot of length) . . . There was only ONE pair of track feeder wires powering the entire layout!  One and only one.  Two years of running multiple trains and never a power problem.

We're the experts wrong?  Or was I just lucky?  Or what?  I doubt a specific answer will ever present itself, and I'm sure there will be opinions galore.

As for me and the layout and the discovered omission . . . I say I'll let this sleeping dog rest where he is and do nothing to upset him.

My conclusion to all of this discussion is this . . . DCC is the simplest wiring required for any model railroad.  As long as you don't over think it.  Like they say, "KISS!"

George

On Jan 24, 2014, at 12:19 PM, "Ed S" <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

Chuck,

That link did not work for me but I did find the pdf in the file
section once I got the correct name.

Final Layout for review.PDF

Looks good to me, very similar to a layout I am building.

Ed S

At 01:37 PM 1/24/2014, you wrote:
>http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v2/ZLHiUrd_AnK-SGcVw26XSTp8uzhY3crYJFdvdgJt5tYG8oyU0YEPI8TahnklowCrnmbZZz24yD9a96glc37ABzT1iHYpFITa3qZbUr7TD3vt6r0CoEHfXQryCy8P2G1vaz93lsI7MdEK/Final%20Layout%20for%20review.pdf