Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:32 PM
Subject: [WiringForDCC] DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

A friend told me that he knew of a situation where a DCC system left on heated up the wires, especially the track feeders, so that a fire started all along under the track. He said the fire official told them that it looked like the fire was started and spread along the line of the track. He then went on to say that at 5 amps and 16 volts, we have about 80 watts going, quite a bit more than the average soldering iron, hence the fire potential. It is not known if there were separate circuit breakers.

I am a bit skeptical, but wondered if anyone on this list knows about this possibility.

My own On30 layout, which is only 12-feet by 12-feet, is separated into four districts, each protected by a DCC Specialties circuit breaker.  Probably overkill, but I feel better about it that way.

I would think that the circuit breakers would handle all or most shorts.  But what could be the cause of drawing enough power to heat things up that much without triggering any overload protection?  Unless the power station portion of the DCC system' s overload protection failed, I cannot envision the above problem.

Thnaks for any insights you may have.

Rob Morrison

Madogbill><>

Flash Gordon

Several things could have cause this.

First there had to be a short at the end of a line.

The buss wires and feeders were to small a gage to carry enough current to trip the command or booster
or
The transformer for the command or booster was to small to trip anything.

Each would cause the wires to heat up yet not trip anything.

A simple light bulb would have revealed this and save the layout.

I hope no one was injured.

Ed S

At 10:28 AM 1/20/2014, you wrote:

I too am extremely skeptical.
I suspect something shorting somewhere and no circuit breakers.
The more breakers, the easier it is to locate a problem.
Bill Kozel

[...]

Phil Euper <peuper@...>

Had to be a short for this to occur

Regard

Phil Euper

On Jan 18, 2014, at 2:32 PM, <Robmorrison@...> wrote:

[...]

Carl

Hi Gang:

Years ago my electric water heater was struck by lightening. This burned through the heating element and allowed electricity in to the water. Nothing happened until I took a shower and the thermostat turned the water heater on. The water limited the current to less than the 30 amps the breaker allowed, but this was enough to melt the insulation on the wires to the water heater. I could smell the melting plastic and turned the power off. Then I put in a gas water heater.

So others are right: the power supply has to have the amps to trip the breakers. And the breakers should be sized to protect the wire from overheating if shorted, not the size of the power supply or booster. Each step in the power supply chain should have its own protection. Plus the wires attached to exposed metal rails and anything can short the circuit. Even moist ballast could carry current. I installed a 220 volt outlet once that unknown to me had been soaked in water for too long. When I turned on the breaker the outlet caught on fire shooting out flames, but didn't trip the breaker. I was there so I quickly turned the breaker off.

Carl.

Thomas

Rob
DCC does not have a lot to do with it. Power is power. A short circuit in a DC layout could generate the same amount of power just as easy.
When is the last time you heard of a DC layout causing a fire. If the wiring is under sized and you get a short, the wires could heat up and
cause a fire without tripping a fuse or circuit breaker. This is why fuses/circuit breakers are selected to protect the wire. The wire should be
selected to handle the maximum current. Too many people select the fuse/ circuit breaker according to what the power supply can put out
and don't pay any attention to wire size. This is dangerous!
Tom

A friend told me that he knew of a situation where a DCC system left on heated up the wires, especially the track feeders, so that a fire started all along under the track. He said the fire official told them that it looked like the fire was started and spread along the line of the track. He then went on to say that at 5 amps and 16 volts, we have about 80 watts going, quite a bit more than the average soldering iron, hence the fire potential. It is not known if there were separate circuit breakers.

I am a bit skeptical, but wondered if anyone on this list knows about this possibility.

David Heine <davesn3@...>

In general, a circuit breaker doesn’t know the difference between 5 amps of load, 5 amps caused by a short with the current limited by inadequate wiring, or 5 amps caused by a higher impedance short that limits the current to 5 amps by itself.  In this case, I would suspect a short with inadequate wiring or some sort of higher impedance short.

I knew better, but on a previous layout, I let my track laying get ahead of my wiring.  I had about 25’ of track (50’ of Code 70 rail) beyond the last set of track feeders.  I was test running an engine, it derailed and caused a short.  Because of the resistance of all the rail, the current level was held below the value for the protection to trip the power (5A).  I had to shut off the power manually.  The short was on long enough to melt the Kadee coupler box on the tender of a brass locomotive.

Dave Heine

Easton, PA

Bill><>

WOW!
Thanks for that tid-bit!!!!
Bill Kozel

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:28 PM
Subject: RE: [WiringForDCC] DCC Wiring - Can it cause a fire?

[...]

Vollrath, Don <dvollrath@...>

Poor connections, too small a wire to support an overload and outright arcing that causes excess heat while limiting current to less than the protective fuse or CB trip point is what allows most electrical fires to get started. Houses, industry, model RRs… makes no difference.

So, Yes, there is a potential of starting a fire. As others have pointed out 5 amps x 16 volts (actually more like 12-14) under the right/wrong conditions can cause 60-80 watts of pure heat, somewhere on your layout. But there are three possible conditions here, neither of which will be positively prevented by circuit breakers. 1) If the malfunction current path includes a relatively high resistance (something greater than about 2.75 ohms), call it a partial short if you wish, that causes less than the full 5 amps to flow, a full 60-80 watts may be concentrated at that location causing lots of heat. Since current is limited to be less than the circuit breaker trip point, it will never trip or automatically shut down. A short circuit between two power pick-up trucks connected together with small gage wire can rapidly get hot enough to melt plastic. A poor solder joint track or puny feeders may provide the current limiting resistance. 2) If the mentioned malfunction causes sparking and current is somehow being limited by undersized wiring, the sparking arc itself can be hot enough to start paper, plastic and wood on fire. (think welding) 3) Notice that even with current limiting light bulbs, a good solid short at the load end will cause the bulb to light up quite brightly and the glass surface can soon become hot enough to burn fingers or start a paper fire.

However, if you have followed the principles of wiring for DCC… a) You will use robust wiring with plenty of track droppers and verify that a short anywhere on the track will cause the circuit to become interrupted by the booster protective device or electronic CB. b) Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when it comes to selecting, using or connecting a power supply for/to a booster or other accessory. AND c) Never leave the DCC system turned on while totally unattended, with or without locos running. Pay attention… Stuff happens.

DonV

[...]

Robert Heroux

Lets all face it... When not running your railroad.... Turn the power off..... I do...

Just my two cents....

Bob

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:07 PM, madog <madog@...> wrote:

WOW!
Thanks for that tid-bit!!!!
Bill Kozel

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:28 PM

[...]

ACCU-LITES, Inc.
Your DCC Center
118 S. Main St. STE 5
Wauconda, IL 60084

Phone: 847.224.7914
FAX: 847.487.2089
NMRA Member # 143811

Flash Gordon

Of course you have to install the bulbs properly so they do not touch anything. . And when they light up ... even a little ... you know you have a problem somewhere. They are hard to miss when you turn the lights off to leave the basement.

At 04:04 PM 1/20/2014, you wrote:

3) Notice that even with current limiting light bulbs, a good solid short at the load end will cause the bulb to light up quite brightly and the glass surface can soon become hot enough to burn fingers or start a paper fire.

DonV

george hohon3

Re-wired the new layout with a lighted, main power switch. Located at the door entering the layout. One look at that switch and you know immediately if the room is "powered" or not. Single best improvement I ever made to a layout. I never leave the area without knowing.

George

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:28 PM, "rheroux@..." <rheroux@...> wrote:

Lets all face it... When not running your railroad.... Turn the power off..... I do...

Just my two cents....

Bob

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:07 PM, madog <@BillK> wrote:

WOW!
Thanks for that tid-bit!!!!
Bill Kozel

[...]

<comp2small.png>

Robert Heroux
ACCU-LITES, Inc.
Your DCC Center
118 S. Main St. STE 5
Wauconda, IL 60084

Phone: 847.224.7914
FAX: 847.487.2089
NMRA Member # 143811

http://www.acculites.com

Flash Gordon

Good idea, I am doing the same.

Ed S

At 06:35 PM 1/20/2014, you wrote:

Re-wired the new layout with a lighted, main power switch. Located at the door entering the layout. One look at that switch and you know immediately if the room is "powered" or not. Single best improvement I ever made to a layout. I never leave the area without knowing.

George

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 20, 2014, at 2:28 PM, "rheroux@..." <rheroux@...> wrote:

Lets all face it... When not running your railroad.... Turn the
power off..... I do...

Just my two cents....

Bob

Robert Morrison <Robmorrison@...>

Good idea about the lighted switch for layout power circuits. I did this at my old home, but not yet at the new one.
Of course, since most of my locomotives have steam sound decoders, there is enough noise to alert me when I leave.
Nevertheless, my next project is to get a circuit with a lighted switch at the entrance to the layout.

I use 20 AWG wire for the drops to every piece of rail, no drop is more than 12 inches long.
Joiners are for rail alignment only.
Main power bus is 12 AWG.
All sections of the layout do trigger the circuit breakers when shorted with a quarter or screw driver.

An idea:
After the layout power is on for a while, go around feeling the wires, especially the drops and solder joints for heat build up.
That might tell you if there is a greater potential for fire.

What do you think?

Rob

Mark Gurries

On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:52 AM, Robert Morrison wrote:

Good idea about the lighted switch for layout power circuits. I did this at my old home, but not yet at the new one.
Of course, since most of my locomotives have steam sound decoders, there is enough noise to alert me when I leave.
Nevertheless, my next project is to get a circuit with a lighted switch at the entrance to the layout.

I use 20 AWG wire for the drops to every piece of rail, no drop is more than 12 inches long.
Joiners are for rail alignment only.
Main power bus is 12 AWG.
All sections of the layout do trigger the circuit breakers when shorted with a quarter or screw driver.

Excellent.

An idea:
After the layout power is on for a while, go around feeling the wires, especially the drops and solder joints for heat build up.
That might tell you if there is a greater potential for fire.

The only time you will get heat is if there is a short circuit that fails to trip any DCC circuit breaker or booster.   Hence the purpose of the coin short circuit test which makes sure the resistance in the wiring is low enough.

If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track,  that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.

Best Regards,

Mark Gurries
Electrical Engineer

Steve Haas

<<If there is a highly resistive connection somewhere in the wiring that is more than about 2.8 ohms when using a 5Amp booster and there is a short circuit on the track,  that resistive point is where all the heat will be because the booster will not have shutdown but instead deliver full power.>>

A local layout has hand laid track and turnouts with powered frogs.  The original track layers and electricians were not too careful about where they cut the gaps beyond turnouts.  We’ve lost the side frames of two different engines to excessive heat when the front wheel set of the engines spanned the gap that isolated the frog from the yard track.

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

Best regards,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Bob <rehandjr@...>

Hi Steve,

Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.

Thanks!

bob

[...]

Bob inquired:

“Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.>>

I’d be glad to, Bob.

The Fouling point is the location where equipment on the diverging tracks of a turnout would sideswipe each other.  Trains & equipment need to be spotted beyond the fouling point so equipment can move into/out of the adjacent track without sideswiping each other.

Starting from the point end of a turn out, you have points, frog, fouling point.  Your gaps go between the frog and the fouling point.  These gaps should be as close to the frog as is reasonably possible given the track construction methods used.

The rationale is this – In theory, (most, there are always exceptions <>) operators will keep equipment beyond the fouling point so trains don’t snag on each other.  If they do that (as they should), and the gaps are between the frog and the fouling point, the metal wheels of stopped equipment are unlikely to span the gap, potentially creating a short if the turnout is thrown against the equipment spanning that gap.

We had an incident on a local layout where this actually occurred.  Track was hand laid, and one side of the frog extended about six inches down the yard track.  A train entered the track from the far end of the yard and pulled down to the far end, where it stopped with one of its front wheels spanning the frog gap.  As the engineer was moving slow, he was almost stopped when tht axle spanned that gap, and didn’t notice that he’d straddled the gap.  The turnout was against him, so the frog was one polarity and the rail under the train the opposite.   Additionally this was the last train of the session, so the short went completely un-noticed.  The layout was shut down and we went to beans.  Several work sessions passed where we had track power on for various reasons.  When we finally went to move the train for re-staging purposes, it wouldn’t move.  Inspection revealed that the gear on the front axle had gotten so hot that the plastic had flowed around the bearing block on that side of the axle, and had cooled around the bearing block effectively freezing the mechanism.  Layout owner, not realizing that any of this had happened, attempted to move the train by turning up speed on throttle.  Only thing that happened is track to decoder and decoder to motor wiring got hot and the insulation burned off.

All of this would have been avoided if the gaps had placed properly  (between the frog and the fouling point originally.

Best regards,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Are you suggesting gaps closer to or farther from the frog?  Could you explain what you mean with a little more detail? Or point us to a diagram or discussion.

Thanks!

bob

Good construction minimizes a host of errors – keep those gaps inside the fouling point of your turnouts and equipment and it will reduce the number of problems due to shorts by reducing the possibility of shorts.

Best regards,

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

size=2 width="100%" align=center>

Spam
Not spam
Forget previous vote

Bob <rehandjr@...>

Wow!  Thanks for the explanation.  Sounds like the frog rails should be kept as short as possible.

[...]

asychis@...

Great information Steve.  I take it this problem is automatically taken care of if the track power is "frog-routed," I. e. the track leading from a turnout thrown against you is dead?  That seems to be our situation.,  If a train is pulled up too close to a turnout thrown against it, it just dies.  Anyway, it is a good thing to check out.

Jerry Michels